When should a Professional Hunter provide follow up shots?

Common sense and experience should always prevail over ego.

I have never hunted Africa but have spent years hunting all over North America but after watching hours and hours of all different types of African hunts I have noticed some PHs have follow up shots before the muzzle blast has subsided from the client and others don't even have their rifle off their shoulder. For my way of thinking you already have a PH, trackers, skinners, packers, ect. and to have a PH follow up before you even know if your shot(s) were successful seems to make you even more of just a shooter than an actual hunter than you already are.

On DG I suppose the argument could be made it's a safety issue, but isn't that why there paid to be PHs ?To put you in a position their involvement should only come if tracking a wounded animal is necessary?

I am curious to the thoughts of those here with so much experience.
Agree with your point and it is a discussion You MUST have with your PH prior to the hunt even being booked. I have had this discussion prior to booking my Tanzania Buffalo hunt and again with a Guide prior to booking Alaska Griz hunt. Both times I was assured that they would Not shoot “unless” it was a safety matter — which I certainly agreed with. More interestingly, both my African PH and Alaska Guide told me that some clients “want” them to shoot immediately after they do - regardless of the situation. They either don’t want to risk losing their trophy or have no confidence in their shooting ability or “don’t really care who’s bullet killed that trophy” —- as long as they get it to the taxidermist and can claim “I got it” !!. My guide in Alaska relayed to me that he had killed Brown bear that his clients had even missed completely or made non leather sots on. When I asked him if any Clients were upset by that he said “No, they were glad to get the animal and really didn’t care”. I explained to him that nothing would ruin a hunt (for Me) more then my Guide having to kill my animal - even understanding (and accepting) that it would be My poor shooting to blame - it would still ruin it for me. Now, if I wounded an DG animal and we were following it up - got charged....then Yes - anyone that can get a shot off should take it, or if I make a poor shot and the animal might get away, into heavy cover etc...again Yes I’d expect the Guide/PH to shoot. I’ve had these discussions and never had any guide Not understand m point and agree to my wishes - some even said “that’s how I normally operate anyway. They also would explain “when” they would need to shoot (whether I liked it or not) and I respected that and was always fine with that.
Have these conversations up front - before booking, there should be an “understanding” that both Guide/PH and Hunter are comfortable with——-then go and have a Great Hunt !!

It can also depend on the vegetation cover. For brown bear, if it’s more open, I rarely shoot unless asked but I might shoot if the bear is getting out of range and is wounded. If the bear is in thick alder or on the edge of thick alder, I will shoot only if the bear is wounded and is getting into the thick cover. I had a friend get horribly mauled by a bear that made it into thick cover after the client wounded it. Nobody wants that.

My experience hunting dangerous game with a PH in Africa is about the same. So far, I haven’t had a PH fire a shot but we both agreed ahead of time that neither of us wanted to lose an animal or have to track a wounded animal into thick cover. I deferred to his experience and let safety be his determining factor for shooting. I would have no problem with a PH shooting at a DG animal that I wounded that was in or headed into heavy cover.
Agree, my Guide in Alaska explained the exact same thing to me - he wouldn't shoot my bear unless “the bear is wounded and close to heavy cover - I may need to shoot”....I was in full agreement with that

I've seen on a number of TV shows where the PH shoots a fraction of a second after their client shoots, but I have no idea if there has been a discussion or not and to when and if.
The stuff that some of those "outfitters" broadcast on YouTube sometimes amazes me. Maybe others have seen this one. The "robust" PH is guiding a boy of about sixteen, probably American by his accent. They are after kudu in thick stuff and get the drop on a real nice bull quite close. Kid hits it a bit back and bull takes off running ... and so does the PH ... and cameraman. Kid and his dad are left struggling to keep up. The kudu is also struggling and PH is blazing away on the run. Bang, bang, bang. Finally down it goes. Dad and son finally catch up. As everyone is walking to the animal, the tracker picks up a horn. PH laughs (yes, LAUGHS!) and says, "Look, you shot off a horn." Kid with astonished/confused look: "I shot it off?" No shit! Then this stupid PH actually put that footage out there for everyone to see (yes, it was published under his lodge's brand). He obviously didn't think there was anything wrong with how that played out. How does an idiot like that get a license to guide?

In four different African countries, I have never hunted plains game where my PH was carrying anything other than a handgun and the shooting sticks - usually just the latter. Any and all shooting was up to me. When hunting DG, a PH will always be armed. ...
In Zim PHs always had a tracker carry their rifle during the PG phase as the areas also had lions, hippos etc.. When I had a female companion with me some years back, I went into the bush with her and a rifle just in case, as she was doing her business for the same reason.

I have never had a PH do a follow up shot on any game for me.

In Zim PHs always had a tracker carry their rifle during the PG phase as the areas also had lions, hippos etc.. When I had a female companion with me some years back, I went into the bush with her and a rifle just in case, as she was doing her business for the same reason.

I have never had a PH do a follow up shot on any game for me.
My experience in Mozambique was similar. I was told never go anywhere without my rifle, I wanted some pictures of a bee eater one day at lunch in the bush instead of a nap i told my PH what I was going to do and after I went 30yds down the trail a tracker showed up with my rifle handed it to me and returned to his lunch. Also while setting some leopard bait for the next hunter in camp I carried the rifle while everyone else carried meat, ropes and wire. Not sure if this was all theatrics for my benefit or what but I did learn later that they had some truculent cow elephant in the area and that is why they had me load solids while just moving around.

I have never hunted DG but have hunted areas where there is , so no experience with actually shooting DG . My opinion on whether a PH ( or another person ) should shoot ones animal must be dictated by safety requirements and to end the suffering of any wounded animal as quick as possible . I have no problem if someone else shoots an animal that I have clearly wounded and there is a chance it might get away .

The stuff that some of those "outfitters" broadcast on YouTube sometimes amazes me. Maybe others have seen this one. The "robust" PH is guiding a boy of about sixteen, probably American by his accent. They are after kudu in thick stuff and get the drop on a real nice bull quite close. Kid hits it a bit back and bull takes off running ... and so does the PH ... and cameraman. Kid and his dad are left struggling to keep up. The kudu is also struggling and PH is blazing away on the run. Bang, bang, bang. Finally down it goes. Dad and son finally catch up. As everyone is walking to the animal, the tracker picks up a horn. PH laughs (yes, LAUGHS!) and says, "Look, you shot off a horn." Kid with astonished/confused look: "I shot it off?" No shit! Then this stupid PH actually put that footage out there for everyone to see (yes, it was published under his lodge's brand). He obviously didn't think there was anything wrong with how that played out. How does an idiot like that get a license to guide?
If that’s what the video shows - imagine the “out takes” and what you never get to see. I always think of that when I watch some of the very Long Range shots taken on hunting shows (when they promote a brand of Long range Rifle) I remember one where the hunter shot at a black bear at 700+ yrds and missed it clean, then (according to the Video) killed it on a perfect 2nd shot? Maybe, but made me wonder “if you can completely miss a bear — how many are wounded and/or “sloppy” kills that never make the video?
I admire anyone that can make a clean kill over 400 yrds - with consistency but question the “consistency” of clean kills over 500 - 800 yrds..?? All I know is that I can NOT make any consistent shot on an animal over 400 yrds

As others have said, talk with the PH before hand and be frank. On both of my safaris in Zimbabwe and Mozambique I discussed with the PH our approach (someone said earlier in the thread we're a team - that is my perspective too). We agreed on dangerous situation or I make a bad shot. Zimbabwe - no follow up needed. In Mozambique, my shooting was poor a couple of times and the PH did follow up shots twice.

I was once almost nearly killed by a charging bull elephant myself in 2006. I was using a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum Musgrave loaded with Prvi Partizan 300Gr round nosed copper jacketed FMJ solid factory loads.

Unfortunately, the bull had charged and I had made an ineffectual frontal brain shot. That bull would have flattened me like a pancake, had my white hunter Devon not successfully downed him with a more efficient frontal brain shot. Devon was armed with a .505 Gibbs magazine rifle which was built by John Bolliger on a Granite Mountain Arms African Magnum Mauser action. His bullet of choice was the South African all-brass flat nosed 600Gr DZOMBO MK. VI monometal solid propelled at 2150 fps.

Later, I found out that my Prvi Partizan 300Gr copper jacketed FMJ “solid” bullet had broken up on the elephant’s skull bone and completely split it’s thinnish copper jacket.

I had requested Devon not to shoot unless he saw me get in trouble. And I for one, am immensely glad that he chose to intervene & save my life when he did.

1. If requisted by client.
2. Loss of animal is imminent.
3. Any danger to any of the hunting party.

Discuss before the hunt...
Well said and succinctly stated

When things go wrong and decisions must happen in mega seconds common sense must trump pride and ego. Hurt feelings must win over a hurt body. As has been mentioned, discuss strategy before booking and again review this upon reaching camp. Trackers and skinners do not have health insurance. Also you own the animal if wounded and time spent tracking a cripple coutd be spent hunting another trophy.

I believe that thread is covered!!!
This thread or that thread? :p I say immediately prior to an animal "biting" you would be a fine time. And do make excellent shots on Oryx that are looking at you when the PH is giving his gun a break!!!

On my first hunt for an animal officially considered "dangerous" (black bear in British Columbia), day 1 another hunter lightly wounded a bear and didn't attempt a follow up shot. The bear dove into some nearby thick cover. The guide went in after it. Bear charged and guide killed it at a few meters.

The next day, I had my chance. I didn't want a repeat of the previous day. I told my guide to back me up. I made a double lung shot. The bear was dead, but didn't realize it My guide and I blazed away after that as the bear ran as fast as it could for thick cover. He missed on all 3 shots and I on my second but the third hit him in the spine in the next. Game over. If I had it all to do over, I would still tell him to back me up. Better safe than someone mauled.

Switch to Africa. I have the same attitude my ego isn't worth someone getting seriously injured or killed. Honestly any of the medium - large plains game can quickly become dangerous under the wrong circumstances, even when not wounded. And if things get ugly your PH has to be able to act immediately. Therefore, we have the conversation in advance.

On my Buffalo hunt last month we were hunting in very thick and steep, rocky terrain. A couple days before a hunter in camp shot a little high and back on a broadside Buffalo. It took a day and a half to track it down and get it in the salt.

I told my PH that when we got on my Buffalo and after I shot, if he had a shot to take it. We did not want this Buffalo getting into the deep, thick brush and having it turn into a dangerous situation.
I shot my Buffalo through the chest as he was facing me and staring us down at 20 yards. My PH shot after I did and we got the bull on the ground safely before he got into the thick brush in steep terrain.
Later, at the skinning rack we discovered my first shot had taken out the top of his heart.
I am happy I gave him permission to shoot even though my first shot was lethal. You just don’t know how long it would have taken him to die.

In my humble opinion I believe hunter's pride to be a major factor to lost (delayed recovery) animals and can be one of the most dangerous scenerios when dealing with DG.
An identified poor shot should warrent a follow-up shot from your PH. Anything less would indicate to me that one's ego is more important than getting the sought query killed as soon as humanly possible.

I was using a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum Musgrave loaded with Prvi Partizan 300Gr round nosed copper jacketed FMJ solid factory loads.
Hunter habib, what is your opinion on this bullet and cartridge by PPU (Prvi Partizan - Uzice)?
Any point in using it on DG?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JWayne

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you