What Watch do you wear when you hunt?

Wow. I've been away from the forum for quite some time. I think I'm doing it on purpose before you all convince me I need to go to Africa. Again.

It's awesome seeing this thread still going. Love to see all the watches. From all brands, colours and price categories. This is a judgement free zone. Even though we have had a few crusty farts make their way in.

Yes some guys have bigger budgets. And I got nothing but respect for them and am honoured they are willing to share their collection with the rest of us. And some are more minimalists and that's all good too. That's the point of the thread. Keep em coming boys.

Ps. I am Canadian so don't judge the unnecessary use of the letter "u" in some words.

Is anybody sporting a Seiko 6105 or 153 (“CPT Williard”)? I’ve been kicking them around for a couple of years.

@Lone Star Bluegrass - I've long liked the Willard.

I'm a bit tempted at the moment, the green variant SPB153 is on special at a retailer here for AU$950 (~US$620).

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 8.46.07 AM.png

I'm still on the fence - for that coin, one could have both a normal Turtle SRPE93K and a Laco Aachen.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Lone Star Bluegrass - I've long liked the Willard.

I'm a bit tempted at the moment, the green variant SPB153 is on special at a retailer here for AU$950 (~US$620).

View attachment 594734

I'm still on the fence - for that coin, one could have both a normal Turtle SRPE93K and a Laco Aachen.
The Seiko Turtles are fantastic. You won't go wrong there. One of the most comfortable wearing case designs ever.

I've followed your lead @Inkgardener - local Amazon had Expeditions for AU$59 with free post - so one is on the way.

All this watch talk got me searching for a couple of my old watches from decades past that had stopped working and been languishing in storage.

Found them.

A Traser H3 6502 Navigator 'Sterile' - with long expired tritium.

View attachment 585849

and a vintage TAG Heuer F1 - from when I was trying to be one of the cool kids in the eighties. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 585850

Waiting to hear back from the repairer to see if there is any hope for them.

While in watch mode - I picked up a new strap for the Seiko 5

View attachment 585851
How has that Seiko 5 treated you accuracy-wise? Staying on time pretty well? I like the simplicity of those watches. I currently wear an old Swiss Army watch and love it to death but I also wish it was an automatic.

How has that Seiko 5 treated you accuracy-wise? Staying on time pretty well? I like the simplicity of those watches. I currently wear an old Swiss Army watch and love it to death but I also wish it was an automatic.

@baxterb

If I wear it every day it seems to lose about 1-2 minutes over a week, which is within their spec.

I rarely wear it for a week straight anyway so accept that I'll be resetting it each time I wear it.

Will probably end up getting a winder one day I suppose.

Chago,

I'll give you the less bou·jee answer.
I like to run and work out extensively and as much as id like a Rolex and Richard Millie I also like to hunt to much to spend a safari for my wrist. So rock the Garmin fēnix® 7X – Sapphire.
It tracks all the metrics I like to look at for the day like steps, calories, so on so forth. I use to be a sunnto man my self and just picked this Garmin up last July and sadly I haven’t taken it to Africa yet but it will see plenty of that continent here in the futures. Its been my favorite athletic watch I’ve owned to date.

Did you just pick this up? The Omega Seamaster-Railmaster 40mm Master Chronometer with caliber 8806 movement and a stainless bracelet. How do I know you ask? My wife bought me the same watch except I changed the strap to brown leather with a deployment clasp.

A few reasons I fell in love with it. No date window simplifies the face for an uncluttered appearance. The master chronometer co-axial movement provides incredible accuracy and long life with 55 hours of power reserve. It's thin and can be worn under the cuff of a dress shirt without looking like a dive watch. Yet it is a dive watch with water resistance to 500 feet (15 bar or 150 meters).

A great all-around timepiece.

1711187295858.png

Did you just pick this up? The Omega Seamaster-Railmaster 40mm Master Chronometer with caliber 8806 movement and a stainless bracelet. How do I know you ask? My wife bought me the same watch except I changed the strap to brown leather with a deployment clasp.

A few reasons I fell in love with it. No date window simplifies the face for an uncluttered appearance. The master chronometer co-axial movement provides incredible accuracy and long life with 55 hours of power reserve. It's thin and can be worn under the cuff of a dress shirt without looking like a dive watch. Yet it is a dive watch with water resistance to 500 feet (15 bar or 150 meters).

A great all-around timepiece.

View attachment 594938

Yep, the price was too good on steel. This iteration is supposed to be discontinued. It’s one of the overlooked gems in the Omega collection, IMHO. The 8806 METAS, at this price, is a steal. 40mm is the perfect size for this type watch. It’s weight is balanced and feels solid on the wrist.

A little more tool than the Aqua Terra. A little less dress than the Globemaster. A ‘tad’ of the late 50s vintage look. All, for 2/3 of the less street price, of the Explorer, and I think the dial looks better.

A16C7AF4-EEBE-4B3A-87EF-2A0470B11974.jpeg

Accurate….yes

IMG_3908.jpeg

Chago,

I'll give you the less bou·jee answer.
I like to run and work out extensively and as much as id like a Rolex and Richard Millie I also like to hunt to much to spend a safari for my wrist. So rock the Garmin fēnix® 7X – Sapphire.
It tracks all the metrics I like to look at for the day like steps, calories, so on so forth. I use to be a sunnto man my self and just picked this Garmin up last July and sadly I haven’t taken it to Africa yet but it will see plenty of that continent here in the futures. Its been my favorite athletic watch I’ve owned to date.
I understand you enthusiasm for technology. I would not dissuade you using such items to track your steps, count your heartbeats or GPS your location. They are useful tools.

However, at some point you will come to realize that an Omega Planet Ocean or Rolex Submariner will long outlast microprocessors and batteries. That an automatic/mechanical movement is beautiful for it's simplicity and accuracy. And that daily use (and abuse) will only strengthen the bond you have with it. Every scratch will be earned, every ding remembered. If you are lucky enough, a son or daughter (or maybe grandchildren) will see you wearing it every day on your wrist and it will inspire them as well. Watches of this quality are generational heirlooms.

Nothing against your technology, but there's a world beyond it. Don't limit yourself based on price alone. There are ways to get into a top quality timepiece without a second mortgage.

Mrs. BeeMaa and I went out today. Had to do some running around that included a trip to a nearby store....so why not drop in? This is why you don't drop in...
1711236596052.png

They way Mrs. BeeMaa was eyeing the Planet Ocean Summer Blue (on the right), you would have thought it was tall, dark and handsome and carrying a dry martini. Sheesh. If we weren't looking forward to the things we have planned, she may have well walked out with it. Damn that is one beautiful watch. The King Neptune caseback is a deal sealer. Lord help me.

I changed my mind... a Rolex.... when the fan is hit by do-do... the watch is a negotiable quantity to get you out of the country. A Casio G-Shock is a must when times are normal.

Mrs. BeeMaa and I went out today. Had to do some running around that included a trip to a nearby store....so why not drop in? This is why you don't drop in...

They way Mrs. BeeMaa was eyeing the Planet Ocean Summer Blue (on the right), you would have thought it was tall, dark and handsome and carrying a dry martini. Sheesh. If we weren't looking forward to the things we have planned, she may have well walked out with it. Damn that is one beautiful watch. The King Neptune caseback is a deal sealer. Lord help me.

That is an amazing case back.

I understand you enthusiasm for technology. I would not dissuade you using such items to track your steps, count your heartbeats or GPS your location. They are useful tools.

However, at some point you will come to realize that an Omega Planet Ocean or Rolex Submariner will long outlast microprocessors and batteries. That an automatic/mechanical movement is beautiful for it's simplicity and accuracy. And that daily use (and abuse) will only strengthen the bond you have with it. Every scratch will be earned, every ding remembered. If you are lucky enough, a son or daughter (or maybe grandchildren) will see you wearing it every day on your wrist and it will inspire them as well. Watches of this quality are generational heirlooms.

Nothing against your technology, but there's a world beyond it. Don't limit yourself based on price alone. There are ways to get into a top quality timepiece without a second mortgage.
Oh trust me I'm not nocking a Rolex or nice watches. Rolex use to have the most pro hunting ad's ever. Personaly if im going to spend money on a watch its going to be something along the line of an AP ROYAL OAK OFFSHORE that will have some serious value if I was to ever want to sell it. I'm along the lines of less gagets more hunts.

Oh trust me I'm not nocking a Rolex or nice watches. Rolex use to have the most pro hunting ad's ever. Personaly if im going to spend money on a watch its going to be something along the line of an AP ROYAL OAK OFFSHORE that will have some serious value if I was to ever want to sell it. I'm along the lines of less gagets more hunts.
Then I would encourage you to follow your passion of getting a Audemars Piquet or other similar brand.

Then I would encourage you to follow your passion of getting a Audemars Piquet or other similar brand.
Will have one at some stage, lots of hunting to be done first.

I had the garmin instinct solar watch but returned it. GPS was difficult to use and drained battery quick and it just was a hassle and then had major issues with syncing. The software needs an update it's super outdated and a pain to get setup

I went back to my old fitbit tracker for sleep tracking, pulse, and step count which is my only need for a smart watch

iphone is much better gps device than any smart watch I have seen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IXZAleisha

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!