What to pair with a .450/400 3" double?

I hear all the reasons behind a reliable plainsgame rifle such as the various .300s, 7x57 etc.

I still think if you are going to travel to Africa to shoot something that requires your .450-400, it makes sence that the rifle you pair with it can do the same job, in the event of the double not being an option. This could happen for multiple reasons:

1. Mechanical failure
2. Realizing towards the end of the trip shooting distances requires a scoped rifle
3. Lost ammo on the trip
Probably many more…

Nothing beats the .375 H&H in this regard.

300 Win Mag is the obvious choice…

HH

Blaser R8 with 300 and 375 barrels would cover everything along with your double. I've shot quite a bit of PG while on Elephant and Buffalo hunts, have never taken anything less than a 375 to Africa, and have faired well with it. If you're planning to hunt more open country, a 300 or similar would be the ticket.

I've just returned from Zim and actually 3 safaris in 3 countries this summer. I had my .450/400 and my R8 in .300Win. I was covered for most anything.

Well if you’re ahooting a .450/400 you’re likely a traditionalist. In that case I’d suggest a Ruger No1 in .300 H&H.

I should reply more seriously to your question. You seem to have chosen a .450 double as your DG rifle. I personally think that isn't the best choice for a first buffalo, but assuming you find an accurate load for it and dedicate the time and ammunition to use it competently, then I would pair it with .30 of some sort. These days, I suspect more PG are taken with the .300 WM than anything else. But a 30-06 would be just as good a choice.

The problem with the .450 and open sights is that your only chance at that ancient duga boy may occur at seventy yards through broken brush at a bull standing in the shadows with two of his pals. Sorting out that shot with a scoped .375 or .416 would be relatively easy, but could prove impossible with the double.

If you bring a scoped .375 or .416 for that eventuality (and have an extra tracker act as a gunbearer), then I don't get the point. Just bring the scoped rifle and enjoy your hunt.
@redleg is proved correct based on my Zim experience just three weeks ago. Although I had my 470 DR not your caliber DR the principle is the same…I had my DR and one of my trackers had my 375 H&H. I could not see the buff with my DR so had to shoot him with my 375

I think you already know what you want. A .375 would perfectly pair up with the 450/400 for anything, anywhere.

Looking for advice on what cartridge to use on my next build to pair with a .450/400 Heym 89b

My initial thoughts are .404, .416, or something similar and then I think maybe a .375 H&H just to keep with the versatility thing? I'll probably make 4 plains game trips for every buff I shoot. Eventually I'll probably own four or five larger caliber rifles just wondering what would be a good next step that makes the most sense.

What do y'all think?

Many thanks!
I also have a Heym 450/400 and have used it quite successfully on elephants, cape buffalo and rhino. It has proven to be not only effective, but a pleasure to shoot. I have also used it on giraffe and zebra - just because that's the rifle I had in my hands. It is iron sights.

You certainly can't go wrong with a 375. I own a Heym 375 H&H and have used it on cape buffalo, hippo, croc, lion, plains game, etc, etc. It's fitted with a Swarovski Z8 2X16 and has proven effective at ranges from 20' - hippo, to those plains game shots at 300yds.

Big calibre bolt gun - I have a Heym 458 Lott fitted with a red dot. This is a backup gun and I typically have one of the trackers carry it.

Lighter calibre - I have a Heym 300 Win Mag and a 300 Wthrby - both with Swarovski scopes. Both have been successful with plains game.

I recently added a Heym 500 NE Double because - well, a guy can't own too many doubles. I will use it for elephant next year. I have to say, it will br tough to leave the 450/400 at home.

You have to consider ammo and what you are hunting. Ammo weight is limited by the airlines - 5kg per hunter, and that's not a lot of ammo. That is why my wife gets to go.

The other consideration is availability should you run out. 500, 458, 375, and 300 Win Mag are pretty common. You also find a number of PH's with 416s.

Having said that - be aware the 458 comes as both Lott and Win, the 416 as both Rem and Rigby. I am sure there are other examples.

With respect to ammo - I shoot custom ammo from Safari Arms which has been tailored to each specific rifle. You change ammo, you will change performance.

You have to consider not only what you will be hunting but where and under what conditions.

All of my elephants have been close - 35/40 yds or closer. One was 21', he came out of the trees and dense brush at about 30' and charged. One shot from that 450/400 and he dropped. In those conditions I carry my 450/400 and a tracker carries the 458 Lott.

Cape Buffalo - anywhere from about 100 yds to 30'. Depends on conditions, terrain, amount of vegetation and cover. My longest shots were with the 375 on the open grassland in Caprivi - because we couldn't get closer, to a wounded one coming out of the brush at about 30' - that was 2 shots from the 450/400 double.

I just got back from 2 months in Zim and Zambia, elephant, lion, hippo, croc, and a bunch of plains game - 375, 458, and the 450/400. I'm going back next year for leopard, hippo, croc, etc and will take the 300 Win Mag and the 375. The 300 Win mag is perfect for leopards.

Good luck with your choices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarolHagen

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.