What single caliber would you reccomend from each of the following cartridge families to a new shooter?

I have shot the 375 H&H, 375 Ruger, 404 Jefferies, 416 Ruger, 416 Rigby, 458 WM, and 470 NE. So, to answer your question I'd pick the
  • 375 H&H
  • 404 J
Stop there, as a client you'll never need anything larger for DG.

I have a few big bores and my go to is a 375 H&H and a 500 Nitro. A 375 Ruger fits in a Standard Action so I would have to recommend it over the 375 H&H.

I am new to hunting in Africa (one trip and another booked) I decided I wanted a .375 Cal Rifle, there will be a Buffalo on the list on our next hunt. Comparing the Ruger and H&H was a no contest to me, the .375 Ruger is the easy winner.

I'll eat the recoil difference many of you mention, 8 lb vs 10 lb rifle or whatever it is. I don't care! This is a rifle I am going to carry a LOT and not shoot much after I work up my loads. I'll take the lighter rifle. I never worry about or even feel recoil in the field.

I will have a can on my rifle, so I appreciate the lighter rifles and shorter barrel lengths that are common with the .375 Ruger vs the H&H. Recoil doesn't bother me, noise does. I very serious about not doing any further damage to my hearing. Most of the .375 Ruger rifles available come threaded.

The availability of ammo and components was something a lot of you mentioned. If you say so. I will never need to purchase ammo on a hunt. Components? Well I have Brass. Bullets, powders, primers all the same for both. I have a lifetime supply of components, not hard to gather on a rifle I will only shoot 30-50 times a year after I work up my loads.

The .375 Ruger is a more efficient cartridge, the difference is noticable when both are using the same barrel length. Balistics are generally close to identical when the .375 Ruger is exiting a barrel that is 2-3 inches shorter than you find on most .375 H&H rifles, which is the norm.

Ya I get the .375 H&H is a great classic cartridge! Its just funny to me that pages of you will say the lighter recoil is nice but not a single one mentions carrying around a rifle all day that is quite a bit lighter is also kind of nice.

The .375 Ruger is a really well designed cartridge. It does some things the H&H can't. But, there are several custom rifle makers out there building custom .375 Ruger rifles so you can get one custom made as heavy as you like and still get that classic feel while shooting modern cartridge.:p
You can thread any rifle you want. I can’t comment on traveling with a suppressor, but if you decide to buy one over there make sure the thread pitches match and you shoot a bunch to figure out POA/POI shift.

As for caliber, most PH’s I’ve spoken to haven’t had the best responses about 375 Ruger and its terminal performance. Look at Keven Robertson’s opinions on it. But I’m sure it has more to do with the shooter than the caliber. That’s a big bullet and in the right place it’s sure to do the trick it the bullet performs.

You can thread any rifle you want. I can’t comment on traveling with a suppressor, but if you decide to buy one over there make sure the thread pitches match and you shoot a bunch to figure out POA/POI shift.

As for caliber, most PH’s I’ve spoken to haven’t had the best responses about 375 Ruger and its terminal performance. Look at Keven Robertson’s opinions on it. But I’m sure it has more to do with the shooter than the caliber. That’s a big bullet and in the right place it’s sure to do the trick it the bullet performs.
Yep not going to travel with my suppressor, my outfitter will have one for me to use.

The .375 Ruger uses the same bullets as the H&H, at an equal or slightly higher velocity. There is no reason the same bullet would behave differently on the target from one to the other. A lot of the bad rap the .375 Ruger got at the beginning had to do with the Hornady factory Ammo, it just was not very good. The current bonded version of the DGX is much better.

I'm working with 300gr Swift A-Frames. Best load so far is 84.2 gr of Ramshot Hunter. 2712 average and a little under 1.5 inch 100 yard group. I'd like to tighten that up a bit.

Yep not going to travel with my suppressor, my outfitter will have one for me to use.

The .375 Ruger uses the same bullets as the H&H, at an equal or slightly higher velocity. There is no reason the same bullet would behave differently on the target from one to the other. A lot of the bad rap the .375 Ruger got at the beginning had to do with the Hornady factory Ammo, it just was not very good. The current bonded version of the DGX is much better.

I'm working with 300gr Swift A-Frames. Best load so far is 84.2 gr of Ramshot Hunter. 2712 average and a little under 1.5 inch 100 yard group. I'd like to tighten that up a bit.
You are right a lot of the early issues were from a specific bullet. Many people don’t realize changes in velocities (higher or lower) can sometimes be detrimental to terminal performance. Personally I’ve looked a 375 Ruger but having several 375 H&H’s decided against it.

With your load, I think you’ll be good. I personally like that 2200-2400fps range for a 375 and have been told by numerous people with significantly more African hunting experience or ballistic knowledge that’s the sweet spot with that caliber.

I don't mean a first time new shooter but someone who hasn't already been exposed to the following.

1. 375s?

2. Lower 40s (416/423)?

3. 458s?

4. 50s and above?

For someone who doesn't own or have had experience with any of the above, which would you reccomend from each category to that shooter? Whether or not cost, availability, recoil, nostalgia etc. play into that decision.

Need to know what you are hunting??
And where??

Here are the cartridges I would use

In bolts:
1) If someone put a gun to my head and said .375, I would go with .375 RUM. I like the RUM cartridges as they provide plenty of "ooomph"
2) .404J
3) .458 B&M wildcat
4) .500 MDM wildcat

In doubles:
1) 9.3x74R
2) .450/400
3) .450 NE
4) .500 NE

375hh,404 Jeffery,416 rigby,458 lott,470ne, 505 Gibbs that should about cover it.

Maybe I'm a little off my rocker but I've owned three 375 H&H mags and three 416 Remington mags and I swear I do believe the 416 Remington mag kicks less than the 375's! A few years back I had a matching set of Winchester model 70 Safari express one in 375 H&H and one in 416 Remington mag! The 416 Remington mag was a pleasure to shoot while the 375 H&H seem to jar me more, it was a lot less comfortable to shoot off the bench! So I say get a 416 Remington mag!
For this reason, I would suggest a 338 WM for all PG, and the 416 RM or Ruger for all DG....or the 400 H&H.

Based on availability of factory ammo, or availability of rifles in specific caliber.

1. 375s?
375 H/H, or 375 Ruger

2. Lower 40s (416/423)?
416 Rigby or 416 remington

3. 458s?
458 win mag

4. 50s and above?
None
For 50 cal in any platform you need experience in lower power calibers.
Also unless someone is experienced and repetitive African hunter, one does not need 50 cal for anything.

4. 50s and above?
None
For 50 cal in any platform you need experience in lower power calibers.
Also unless someone is experienced and repetitive African hunter, one does not need 50 cal for anything.

Well, I disagree with that. statement My first use of a .50 cal below (.500 MDM) prior to taking it to Africa for elephants back in 2014. I had a little over 100 rounds with it over the course of 3 days before this hunt. Brand new build.

I'd recommend the 505 Gibbs. I'm pretty sure after firing it once the person would sell it and I'm in the market for one lol.

Well, I disagree with that. statement My first use of a .50 cal below (.500 MDM) prior to taking it to Africa for elephants back in 2014.
It is always individual decision. previous experience with magnum caliber helps, like 338 win mag.
But in my view, most important factor in final decision is how many DG safaris will be done later, on ele, buff, or similar.
If one will need to decide for a 50 cal rifle, purchase proper gun (not available at any corner), training and getting proper ammo, for one buffalo or one elephant, only, then it is very hard decision.
Buying double rifle in such caliber even harder decision.

There is entire history of clients making rush decision on big guns, and getting to Africa, without a shot fired with large rifle, or with minimum training and with developed flinch which brings entire hunting party to hazardous position.
Very delicate.

BTW, I can only congratulate you on your achievement. Well done!

Maybe I'm a little off my rocker but I've owned three 375 H&H mags and three 416 Remington mags and I swear I do believe the 416 Remington mag kicks less than the 375's! A few years back I had a matching set of Winchester model 70 Safari express one in 375 H&H and one in 416 Remington mag! The 416 Remington mag was a pleasure to shoot while the 375 H&H seem to jar me more, it was a lot less comfortable to shoot off the bench! So I say get a 416 Remington mag!
I have not detected a noticeable amount of recoil difference between the 375 H&H and 416 Remington nor the 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger, when shooting the same type rifles.
There does seem to be accepted hesitancy skipping the .375's and going straight to the .416's. I think most are more mentally recoil accepting of .3 versus .4 when moving up the cartridge ladder. Nothing wrong with getting absolutely comfortable with the .375 before increasing caliber. I went through the caliber step progression.
I put my 416's with 350 grainers in the same class as my 338 Winchester and 375's as to shooting positions that will magnify felt recoil.

I have a 375 H&H and love it.

I have a 404 Jeffery and really love it.

If I was to round it out, I'd go 450 Rigby and/or 505 Jeffery for bigger thumpers.

.470 NE is as big as I care to get, unless I can go .50 BMG

For this purpose just for the sake of ownership and pure enjoyment.

Basically if someone asked you to reccomend them a 375, 458 etc which would you go with and why?
I'm too practical to engage with the faulty premise. Like the guys on FB that ask "time to get new line, what does everyone recommend?" you cannot thoughtfully respond.

You can. Have a reinforced .50BMG DR built. LOL

I would, but I have no idea about a muzzle break on a DR.

Reckon, H&H would build me one in exchange for everything I own????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caseycarpets

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.