What makes a good advertisement?

dobber

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Just trying to figure out what makes a good web page or magazine advert that catches your eye?
While on my last trip i found one that i had to take a picture of, and when i got back home i sent them an email asking if it was ok to post here.
So what tickles your fancy when browsing magazines or web pages? Promises of big monster animals, camp pictures, scenic shots of the area?
(btw for anyone who hasn't been to Africa yet, this too is part of the sickness we return visitors have been struck with)

Hi Dobber. What did you like about the picture you mention?

I’m generally drawn to authenticity or pics with a story behind them. Even though I’m a South African / Namibian meat hunter, I love classic Safari pics. I guess I’m an old man at heart.

Imagine what your audience would like.

Being from Africa, I love what Filson is currently doing with their ranch life and fishing camp stories in the US. To my eye that looks like classic, authentic slice of life and probably my equivalent to an overseas “safari”.

Maybe it’s the same for overseas visitors looking at Africa? A frame of reference that is Selby and Ruark?

For me its pictures of the terrain and people hunting in it. There was one outfitter who has a huge area but the picture has a power line visible and that turned me off for some reason.

Below is the add that caught my eye and got me thinking about how outfitters advertise
Take Aim advert.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MayJason

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg