What is Your Preference Hunting 2 on 1 OR 1 on 1?

NUys

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hi Guys,

What is Your Preference Hunting 2 on 1 OR 1 on 1?

Please motivate the reason for your choice.

I like a 1X1 hunt for the most part. You get to cover a lot of ground that way, and you don't have to flip a coin or anything like that on deciding you gets to shoot. There are anvantages to a 2X1 hunt too, you get to see animals and there is no pressure to shoot...if it's your buddy's turn. I think it can really work well if you are on buddy hunt, and you are just there for the pleasure and scenery and not just collecting animals.

2X1

I am going with my son and would not want to miss having him with me when I harvest my animals and would not dream of missing out on his either
Paul

2 x 1 Wife Only

I hunted 2 x 1 with my wife last year. We had a great time together and would not do it any other way in the future if she was making the trip.

If my wife was not going along, I would only hunt 1 x 1.

- browningbbr

For my money, if I'm not on safari with the wife and kids, then I'm on safari alone. A pig hunt, an afternoon rabbit hunting or a duck shoot are a great joy to share with friends; but if I want to immerse myself completely in a hunt, where every element of the country, the culture, the experience and the game is of paramount importance to me, then I want to enjoy this experience with my family, or alone.

Neil,

My wife & I hunt most of the times together 2x1 and when alone it me with myself 1x1

Monish

For bowhunting 1x1 is great. You just cant beat the experinced eye of the PH to judge the maturity of the animals.

I do plan on going 2x1 on the rifle hunt me and a friend are planning. We will be after different animals and i will get to see all the first for him.

I think both have there place depending on the situation.

Two years ago a buddy and I spent 10 days hunting in Zimbabwe. We were going to go 1x1, but 8 days into the hunt, one of the PH's had a family issue come up, and had to leave, so we spent the last two days 2x1.

If you're even remotely competitive, as we were (and are), then I firmly believe 1x1 works best. Having said that, by day 7 we both had our buffs, and most of the other "headlline" game we were after. So no pressure, and little to compete on. And I have to say, we had a great time, taking turns shooting. The thrill of getting the animal is greater if you have a friend (or family member) to share it with.

I think it would be a mistake, though, to undertake any of the specialized hunts - cats or elephant for example - 2x1, but it's a great way to maximize the fun factor if there's not too much pressure. But make sure you set the ground rules in advance - does "my turn" mean shooting an animal or shooting at an animal? Do we stop for (and maybe spend hours following up) your second impala when I really want my first kudu?

So overall, I can't say one is better than the other. It depends on the circumstances. 1x1 is almost always going to be better for getting the game you want, while 2x1 is almost always going to be more fun, if you're with someone you enjoy hunting with. Decide what matters most to you, and do that. It takes a pretty jaded person to complain about any hunting in Africa, whichever way you go!

Hi Guys,

I agree that both are a good way to hunt depending on the situation. We have been for a while in the industry and this was always a question to me on how a client decides when to hunt 2on1 and when 1on1. Apart from husband and wife or father and son hunting together, I always thought that it was some kind of a money saving thing. My point of view, If I was not hunting with my wife or my children I will surely pay that extra 60 or 100 dollars a day to get special attention and double my chances without arguing about who's turn it is.

If I were hunting with a family member I'd hunt 2 on 1. If not, definitely 1 on 1. Remember, if hunting with a friend 2 on 1, your hunting time can be cut in half: more if your friend wounds a couple of animals and a lot of time needs to be spent tracking down the wounded game. When hunting 2 on 1, you pay for the entire number of days, say 10 for example, but you really only hunt 5, so I can't see how you're saving any money if that was your objective.

That depends, If your a trophy hunter and are truly serious then probably 1x1 or your partner may shoot the animal you wanted...if you have a son or good friend that you like to hunt with then 2x1 may be more suitable to you. The 2x1 hunt is cheaper and can save you some bucks, so it mostly depends on your priorities..That is what I tell my clients. then you make the choice.

I've done both I will probably only go on a 1x1 hunt in the future. I agree with mikeh416rigby that 2x1 can be false economy in a way. Also, hunters tend to be competitive people (in my experience) and a 2x1 hunt with a good friend can often mean the end of a good friendship.

I believe that to get the best out of a hunt you need to immerse yourself in the experience and this is more difficult with another hunter, because he has his own priorities, his own interests, his own walking speed etc.

I can understand a 2x1 hunt being good when with a family member, otherwise I woulndn't go on another.

I am going on a 1x1 12-day hunt this September in Alaska. I could have decided to bring someone, but likely will not, as my guide is really cool, interesting, and fun to talk to. If he was boring, a Democrat, or uninteresting, I likely would want someone else along for those 12 days.

1X1 for me unless it's with my wife or if I was to take another family member such as my father or mother..

I did the 2X1 hunt once and there was too much jockeying for time.. Why cut your hunt by 50% to save a few hundred bucks??

I'm going on a buff hunt in Zim this Oct and will be taking a buddy with me who will be hunting with me the entire hunt.. Only thing is that he does NOT hunt until all my trophies are in the salt. He is going as a "non hunter" and we have agreed on such. After my hunt, we'll be after kudu, impala and a wartie for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OrenMays0

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.