What is your go to 375h&h load and what do you use it on?

300 grain barnes factory ammo. 300 gr nosler solids. Elephant, hippo, croc, PG and a head shot on a Guinea fowl. The latter shot gained the most respect from my kids.

I don’t reload. I need to launch another kid out of my house so I can take over the bedroom for my hobbies.

Looks like the A frame and TSX win the day. I appreciate all the input.
With many good bullets around with the popularity of the round; there are lots of good choices.

I happened to start with 300gr Aframes and have enough stock to load the rest of my days. Same with Woodleigh 300gr solids; they shoot same POI for me and they work. Like others in this thread IMR 4064.

300 Solids; elephants, buffalo

300 A frames in a 375; the question is what don’t they kill?

Impala(several) Zebra(several) Baboons(many) Duiker, Wildebeest blue and black (several) Gemsbuck (several) Blesbok, Kudu(2),Hyena, Bushbuck, Warthog (several), Nyala , Eland,Bushpig,Hartebeest,Jackal

N. America ;Whitetail deer, Coyote,Racoon, Grey Squirrel

Add some more for 270 win and 30-06 with Aframes.

I'm going to be different than the standard 300 grain answer.

235 gr CEB pushed fairly fast, 2935 fps. Absolutely devastating on cats and anything else in the world with the exception of buffalo, elephant, and rhino. And, I'd hunt buffalo with that load in a pinch (if Lott went down for example) without hesitation. I'd make sure the shot was clear of brush and I wouldn't take a hard quartering shot, but I would take a buffalo with that bullet. CEB is under rated, mainly because of fear of the technology, IMO, because it certainly isn't because of the actual results.

Out of my CZ the accuracy is pretty close to same hole and I see no reason to use any other bullet after the performance I've seen.

20210508_173704.jpg

300gr Woodleigh HD bullets at 2470 fps worked great on buff cow x 2 and plainsgame blue wildebeest being the toughest.

Changed over to 300gr Safari Bullet Company made in South Africa running a tad faster 2480fps plainsgame again blue wildebeest and lioness.

IMG-20221211-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20221211-WA0010.jpg

Only bullets I have recovered yet from the lioness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used the bullets below on the game mentioned and all performed perfectly.
300 grain Hornady DGX Bonded- Scrub bulls, brumbies, pigs
300 grain Norma Oryx- Brumbies, pigs
300 grain Swift A-frame- Buffalo
350 grain Woodleighs- Buffalo, scrub bulls

I have factory PPU ammo. I haven't used it on game yet but I've used it on paper.
Plans to reload using Woodleigh projectiles that I have stashed.

Looks like the A frame and TSX win the day. I appreciate all the input.
Don’t forget to have a few solids available. Excellent for Elephant and the Tiny 10…or whenever your PH says to load them.

Woodleigh Hydro is my choice but the Nosler Solid and CEB Safari Solid are both very good options as well.

I highly suggest you buy Dr Kevin Robertson’s book “The Perfect Shot” on African game. He is/was a large animal vet, hunter, and PH. Dissected and tested lots of bullets and cartridges. The book contains excellent info in my estimation! Definitely worth the money.
375 H&H:
lion 235 Barnes- too stubby a bullet IMO for bushveld, a 300 soft Nosler Partition would have worked better IMO
lioness- see above
blue wildebeast 235 Barnes- DRT, but I still prefer a longer bullet
gemsbok 235 Barnes- see above
warthog 235 Barnes- see above
springbuck 235- OK
impala 235- OK
blesbok 235- worked, but it was a long shot around 350 yards too far for such a stubby bullet IMO
cape buff 300 Barnes- OK, but I believe the A-frame, North Fork, or TBBC would expand more
bushbuck 300 Barnes- worked, butt a softer more expanding bullet would have worked better
bushpig 300 Barnes- head shot DRT
croc 250 Barnes TTSX- most accurate load in my MRC, worked perfect
eland 250 Barnes TTSX- worked perfect, found under the skin opposite side on a quartering toward me shot, broke shoulder and blew out both lungs and top of heart
warthog 250 Barnes TTSX- did the task
sable 250 Barnes TTSX- DRT
black wildebeast 250 Barnes TTSX- long shot and worked perfect
caracal 250 Barnes TTSX- worked, but obviously an overkill, shot low on him facing me, so little damage
civet 22 LR- I just like a bigger cartridge
300 WM:
bluewildebeast 180 Nosler Partition 300 WM- OK, but 375 much more convincing
gemsbuck 180 Nosler Partition- OK, but not a 375
nyala 180 NP- OK
zebra 180 NP- they are tougher than you would think and a 375 would have done better IMO

Others I haven’t bothered to mention because this pretty much covers my experiences I think.

If you want more info, I tried to give more in each of 3 reports I wrote. But to summarize my opinion a 375 H&H is ideal to take as a one gun Africa rifle. For PG a 250 Barnes TTSX is very accurate. It expands well even on lesser game and even if it didn’t (since you almost never find the bullet) it is large enough in diameter to kill PG. Any DG the 375 with a stout premium bullet, ie, Swift A-frame, Fed TBBC, Barnes (just OK IMO even though it never failed on me they just don’t expand like the others), NorthFork (copy of the TBBC), Rhino (if we could get the in the USA), and probably several others I just can’t think of. DG a minimum of 300 grain softer for lion and probably leopard (which I have no experience, Covid made me miss my opportunity) and stouter 300-350 grain for Cape Buff, solid and long and heavy for elephant ( which I haven’t had the opportunity and not much desire for).
I have only made 4 trips to Africa, so there are lots of people here with a lot more experience. That said, I am a retired engineer and experiment a lot…probably a curse!
Get Dr Robertson’s book!
Hope this helped and best of luck!

Last edited:
I hunted South Africa last year and took my 375 H&H with me. I used factory ammo, Barnes Vortex 300 grs TSX ammo. I shot everything from Warthog, Bushbuck (smallest) to Kudu, female Buffalo and a lioness. All one-shot kills.

@PARA45 obviously it worked for you. Have read many people say TSX are not the best to use on cats. The claim is they are to hard and don't open up.

Do you have any details that you can share about your cat?

@Inline6, you have a PM. I didn't want to hijack this post.

I shoot .375 Ruger and have used custom Loaded (Safari Arms) .300g Accubond quite a bit and now am shooting .270g Barnes.

300 grainTSX pushed by 70.0 grains of Reloader 15, Fed 215 magnum primer. It’s a great buffalo load. I’m going to try some 260 grain Accubonds for an upcoming LDE hunt in Feb of ’24. I think that or a 300 grain Bear Claw will be a great choice.

Reactions: jpg
300 grainTSX pushed by 70.0 grains of Reloader 15, Fed 215 magnum primer. It’s a great buffalo load. I’m going to try some 260 grain Accubonds for an upcoming LDE hunt in Feb of ’24. I think that or a 300 grain Bear Claw will be a great choice.
I woul not use the 260 AB on LDE....it is a good leopard bullet.
Rather use the bearclaw...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarolHagen

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.