Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NMLRA, SCI,
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa, Zimbabwe
First WITHOUT researching any ballistics data what is the maximum range of a(ny) shotgun slug? Using deer and boar size game.

12 gauge 2 3/4"

a. 50 + yards
b. 100 + yards
c. 500 + yards

Since I haven't researched any of the other gauges maybe some of you other ballistics guru will post your findings.

Accuracy is agrumentively based on type of sight(s)/scope used, barrel type rifle or smooth bore and barrel length.

If you guessed c. 500+ yards without looking at ballistic charts you are correct.

Now look at the ballistic charts to find out what your favorite slugs have for maximum range.

Going up listening to others and reading which slug was better. I like most (maybe everyone) just assumed shotguns weren't meant for shooting anything past 30, 40, 50 yards. Which was true for the day (era) ammunition/ 2 3/4 inch shots shells. Then the 3 inch chamber followed by the 3 1/2 inch chamber and the ever more better quality of todays ammunition slugs and shot shells.

One night I was running ballistics data on some reloads on one of my rifles and one of my 44 Rem Mag revolvers. I noticed a box of 12 gauge slugs on one of the ammo shelfs 1 ounce slug, 1886 FPS. Roughly 200 fps faster than 44 mag and just less than the 458WM.

After running 3 different brands of 12 gauge slugs ( none were sabats, lead slug only) in 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells through ballistics calculators, I have learned and determined that the shotgun has been the most underrated firearm for big game hunting.

The 410 has been noted for being the best ballistically gauge (because it is a caliber) shotgun for deer hunting.

What are your thoughts and dare I say opinions on this subject about using slugs and taking the shotgun to a whole new level.

The wind deflection would be significant since a slug has a poor BC. I’m curious to read others’ posts on this.
I’m sure there will be copious comments referencing “the right tool for the job”, or in this case, maybe the wrong one.

Growing up in NY we could only use shotguns. 100yds was semi-common on deer with a rifled barrel. Old 870 was like 50-75 which was very common

Illinois is a no rifle state. Muzzle loaders, shotgun with slugs, handguns.
Some guys use rifled barrel shotguns with sabot slugs out to 250 yards, the same goes for in-line muzzle loaders. I have yet to find someone who has even tried to shoot 500 yards with either one. The accuracy is normally poor compared to a rifle, and the high cost of quality sabot slugs discourages practice.

Arguably:
Brenneke slugs (or similar type foster slug) 50 yards - shot from smooth bore.
Sabot slugs 100 yards, shot from rifled shotgun barrel.

(That is my personal estimate, for ethical shot at game, and everything beyond that I would consider unethical)
Slugs have low BC, and have never been itended for "long range shooting". While better ballistic range can be achieved, the energy delivered at longer distances is questionable.

Last edited:
Pretty much sums up the value of ballistic tables. ;)

How far anything simply will fly through the air is of relatively little interest or value unless one is building a range safety fan. Until target size and accuracy are considered, anything else is just a mathematical exercise.

Add the necessity of actually hitting the kill zone of say a deer to the calculation and a smooth bore with shotgun sights is a 50 yard musket; with rifle sights, a 70 yard musket; with rifled barrel and a sabot, a 100 - 150 yard rifle - a bit farther with a specialized 20 bore and exploiting its better BC.

I live in Mn and deer hunting in my area is slug only. A lot of people around here use scopes, fully rifled barrel and sabot slugs. I prefer the Winchester patrician gold or now x3 I believe. Hornady are decent as well. It’s like other things find the right load for your gun. I average about 6 inch groups at 200 yds. Haven’t shot beyond that with slugs or think I would try at an animal beyond that. Also it doesn’t have to be 3” shells 2 3/4 and 20 ga will do the same.

I am not sure about maximum range as I am more interested in effective range of a weapon system with all things considered (gun, cartridge, sighting system, rest, me, etc.). I have a rifled and scoped slug barrel on an 870 that shoots 2-3" groups out to 150 yards which is as far as I would care to use it. Based on numerous loads and accuracy tests, I would not shoot a slug at an animal past 25 yards with my Krieghoff dreiling.

Safe shooting

Been down this road and it cost a LOT of money at the range. After 150 yards, minute of deer accuracy goes kaput.. Have seen others with 200 yard goals and they wasted more money. Furthest I killed a white tail was 150 yards with a 20 gauge shooting 2&3/4 LIghtfields, the most accurate slug at that time. Unfortunately they are no longer made and nothing made now matches their accuracy in my three DSGs, two Mossbergs and a Benelli. As far as the Savage 20s, I haven't seen any that can shoot consistently accurate at 200 yards.

OT, The only time I use slug guns is in a tree stand on drives in thick brush. 90% of the deer I kill now are with a smokeless muzzleloader shooting saboted SSTs, good to a little over 300 yards. Last deer this year was 265 with that rifle, In recent years, the popularity of SMLs has exploded.

I will say that brenneke slugs shoot very well from smooth barrels. My father has an old Belgian Browning A5 with a 28” modified barrel, that some hillbilly installed a side mount scope on it. That was an easy 100 yard deer gun.
The shotgun I use is a BPS with a rifled barrel, and rifle sights. For me it’s only good to 70 yards due to the large bead on the front sight covering to much deer.
I have since switched to an In-line muzzleloader.

I shot a whitetail at about 100 yds across a gulley with a Mossberg 500 and Brenneke slugs. Nothing but the ivory and brass beads, and it was DRT. However, I wouldn’t try that stunt again, as I was aiming at the shoulder and broke its neck. I’d rather be lucky than good, but I also don’t like to try my luck.

A slug gun with a scope is different than a smoothbore, but there are better options. At some point “a man’s gotta know his (weapon’s) limitations.”

I grew up in shotgun only territory.
Short answer, 80 to 100 yards with rifled barrel.
Long answer, hunt it the same as archery equipment…the closer the better.
Great for a stalk in the brush and a fun way to hunt as long a it’s within the capabilities of the equipment.
With a gun in your hand, it’s hard not to shoot to shoot when there’s an opportunity standing at 110 yards but punting on accuracy with a pumpkin thrower once you get out there I gets iffy.
Up to 60 yards a deer stands no chance against a slug and it can be a really fun way to hunt. In fact, in hilly brush country I still opt for the old shotgun some days when I’m up for a challenge.

Brenneke's website says that their KO slug is a "5 MOA" projectile at 50 yards. Their "Magnum Classic" slug is traveling at 974 fps at 100 yards. There are a number of YT channels where they try to shoot targets at 200-400 yards with Foster type slugs. They are fun to watch. I'm not sure I fully understand the OP's comments regarding .410 slugs, but those that I have are either 1/5 oz (87 grains) or 1/4 oz (109 grains) and they are surprisingly powerful and penetrate targets well out to about 50 yards..I have shot a lot of them......at 300 yards, I was holding 12 feet high on the target but could not hit a steel ram. All with smooth bores, of course. Best of luck to all you 500 yard slug men................FWB

I would take accutips out to 200 yards in a savage 220 without question in the right conditions. That said, max shot around here is 100 and under .

With pumpkin balls 75-100 yards with good sights or scope. Sabots and rifled barrels 150- 200 yards anything beyond that is real iffy. The main impediment to people shooting more practice is recoil aversion not expense.

If you are talking sabot slugs with a scope, they have enough KE and accuracy to kill out to 200 yds or more. If you are talking foster slugs and smoothbores, accuracy beyond 50 yds is severely degraded. So the KE is irrelevant.

Brenneke's website says that their KO slug is a "5 MOA" projectile at 50 yards. Their "Magnum Classic" slug is traveling at 974 fps at 100 yards. There are a number of YT channels where they try to shoot targets at 200-400 yards with Foster type slugs. They are fun to watch. I'm not sure I fully understand the OP's comments regarding .410 slugs, but those that I have are either 1/5 oz (87 grains) or 1/4 oz (109 grains) and they are surprisingly powerful and penetrate targets well out to about 50 yards..I have shot a lot of them......at 300 yards, I was holding 12 feet high on the target but could not hit a steel ram. All with smooth bores, of course. Best of luck to all you 500 yard slug men................FW

For those that may not know this, by no means do I recommend anybody to try the following:

The .410 is a caliber, as in .41 caliber. As opposed to a gauge as in 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 20, 28, etc. gauge/bore shotguns. Thus the .410 chamber is equivalent to .45 Colt brass, however the .451 and .452 bullets are of course larger than 41 mag bullets, soft lead .451 and .452 bullets when shot in a .410 will constrict down and out the barrel of a .410 shotgun.

Basically .410 slugs are low powered 2 1/2 or 3 inch cartridges compared to the .41 magnum cartridge. Making the .410 a smooth bore rifle.

Now rifle the barrel of a .410 shotgun for slugs. Purchase .410 brass, prime, powder and top with a .41caliber diameter bullet, you now have the ultimate shotgun (ahh rifle) for use in shotgun only hunting areas/states.

Disclaimer alert: I would never recommend such foolishness. Unless you have a complete understanding of reloading data, staying within SAAMI pressure limits and using quality reloading components, barrel and receiver.

:unsure::E Shrug:But Officer the barrel is marked rifled .410 shotgun slug barrel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoniaMedla

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.