What did you buy or book at the SCI Nashville convention

@mdwest I talked with Jim and was impressed with his operation. I sat at the table with him at the 2020 DSC AH dinner and talked to him there too. We are taking a big group of 10 with 6 hunting. Two couples in our group had hunted with Kaweka Hunting so we all talked it over in depth and will be hunting with them. Jim's outfit was choice #2. I talked with 12 of the 30+ New Zealand outfitters and asked for quotes from 4 of them.

@mdwest I talked with Jim and was impressed with his operation. I sat at the table with him at the 2020 DSC AH dinner and talked to him there too. We are taking a big group of 10 with 6 hunting. Two couples in our group had hunted with Kaweka Hunting so we all talked it over in depth and will be hunting with them. Jim's outfit was choice #2. I talked with 12 of the 30+ New Zealand outfitters and asked for quotes from 4 of them.
I will be curious to see who you end up booking with in New Zealand

do tell! which chairs?

I was pretty tempted by the chairs in the Rigby booth that were for sale at DSC... but didnt make any moves..

Custom leather recliners from Bison Creek Interiors. My wife sat in one. Game, set, match. Now I know why I saved all that buffalo leather.

After doing some research and speaking to some members on the forum. I was looking to book a elephant hunt I have been thinking about for many years. After speaking with a couple of outfitters I stopped by Dalton & York. 10 min conversation with York was all it took, for me to bust out the only 1 check I took and wrote the deposit for my Sept hunt in Mahenye Zimbabwe for elephant bull hunt.

If anyone has hunted that area I would love to chat and get some intel if you don’t mind thanks!

If anyone has hunted that area I would love to chat and get some intel if you don’t mind thanks!
I hunted there last year. 14 Day Elephant hunt.

Never saw a elephant and York got us lost and we had to sleep the night in the bush. We took shifts w one person staying awake to scare off hyenas and watching for black mambas. I was terrified

Wait…that never happened. That was just a nightmare I had.

Never mind

Congrats on getting that cameroon auction. I was trying to explain to some guys at my table why that was a smoking deal. They didn't really understand Cameroon daily rates and felt that was too much for just a roan. Best of luck on your LDE!
Yes, even without the option to upgrade to LDE, $9k for roan and buffalo is a good deal.

I hunted there last year. 14 Day Elephant hunt.

Never saw a elephant and York got us lost and we had to sleep the night in the bush. We took shifts w one person staying awake to scare off hyenas and watching for black mambas. I was terrified

Wait…that never happened. That was just a nightmare I had.

Never mind

Almost gave me a heart attack! Good one.....

Have to admit it was an expensive year for me LOL!

- Made my final deposit to Neal & Brownlee for my Tajikistan hunt this December
- Bought Karl Stumpfe’s early season trophy buff hunt, going this May
- Gave Karl a deposit for my son and I for a 14 day hunt May 2025
- Bought two leather recliners from Great Blue Heron
- Bought the Swaro TM35 thermal sight from Eurooptic
- My son ordered a coat from Alan Michael and I ordered a custom sport coat
- Bought an Iridium GO for upcoming Taj and Mongolia hunts
- New pair of Courtney PH boots since our lab puppy decided to eat one of my current pair

And to wrap it all up - spent a pathetic amount of money with Gracy travel for tickets to Kasane and Dushanbe for my upcoming hunts ugh!!

I dropped out of the Pakistan Sindh Ibex hunt on the Saturday nite auction at 15k.. If it had been for 2026 instead of 2025 I would have gone higher..

After doing some research and speaking to some members on the forum. I was looking to book an elephant hunt I have been thinking about for many years. After speaking with a couple of outfitters I stopped by Dalton & York. 10 min conversation with York was all it took, for me to bust out the only 1 check I took and wrote the deposit for my Sept hunt in Mahenye Zimbabwe for elephant bull hunt.
I hunted with D&Y last August…you will enjoy the hunt!

I booked a Cape Buffalo Safari for August 2026 with Gary Duckworth at Mokore Safaris in the Save Conservancy while he was at the SCI Convention via email.

Does that count?

This is a bucket list hunt for me. I am fascinated by the history of Rhodesia. Couldn't put down the book "Shadows in an African Twilight" by Kevin Thomas He has lived an extraordinary life having grown up in Rhodesia, becoming a Game Ranger protecting wildlife, then becoming a Special Forces soldier in the battle against the insurgents, then a PH in Zimbabwe and South Africa and finally as a Personal Security Officer (contractor) in Iraq. It is a huge regret that I never got to hunt a Buffalo with Kevin (I had several conversations with him but never made it happen) before I retired. He recommended the Duckworth family as a replacement as Barrie lived a very similar life and still spends much of his time at the Duckworth Camp in the Save. Lord willing I want to sit around the campfire with Barrie after hunting with Gary and listen to his tales of Rhodesia. So I finally got it booked this week.
Must reads for Africa lovers

Congrats! You will enjoy your time around the fire after dinner with Barrie tremendously. I know I did. An awesome gentleman.
DSCN0326.jpeg
DSCN0307.jpeg

Congrats! You will enjoy your time around the fire after dinner with Barrie tremendously. I know I did. An awesome gentleman.View attachment 587206View attachment 587207
I aint gonna lie. This is EXACTLY why I booked with Makore at Save

I am a huge history nerd and find the history of Rhodesia and the insurgency fascinating

And Barrie lived it. I want to pick his brain and hear about it first hand

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillianPet

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.