Water Buffalo Hunting On A Budget

Of course if things keep going in the direction they are, Australia won't even be an option for bowhunters soon.
Why? Are they trying to ban bowhunting?

Why? Are they trying to ban bowhunting?
I’m leaving Sept 15th for my second trip to OZ and here is the best quote I’ve heard to describe the political climate…..

“The problem with Australia is not the number of its citizens that descend from prison convicts; but rather the number of its citizens that descend from prison guards.”

The bureaucracy of that big damn island is the cross you have to bear for admittance.

I’m leaving Sept 15th for my second trip to OZ and here is the best quote I’ve heard to describe the political climate…..

“The problem with Australia is not the number of its citizens that descend from prison convicts; but rather the number of its citizens that descend from prison guards.”

The bureaucracy of that big damn island is the cross you have to bear for admittance.
If this what their citizens want, it's how it'll be.
This how democracy works either we like it or not.

Simple remedy, don't come.
OH NO!.... I'm not only American but a Native Texan; once we get invited on a hunt there is no level of government bureaucracy that will stop me from lawfully hunting as I intend.

Example: I've was issued a Victoria visitors international firearms permit in 2019 - There were conflicting issues with the application, such as requirement of "an official state police stamp/seal of approval on the application as well as ALL of the official color copies of my Texas hunting license, Texas hunters safety card, Shooting/hunting club membership letter, Texas Concealed handgun license(they require copies of all licenses held)

Only problem is - The Texas State Troopers DO NOT HAVE A SEAL OR STAMP FOR DOCUMENTS!

So I walk into the Texas DPS headquarters in Austin Texas and the next thing I know they have a state trooper running a warrant search on me and validating my license to carry a handgun - Both came back in good standing and then they started going up the chain of command until we had the head of all handgun licensing looking at the application and seeing the conflicting questions until finally out of frustration he said to the trooper who ran my warrant search....

"Just sign the damn thing with your badge number and write on there that we do not have a state approval seal for permits, applicants permits are in good standing with the state of Texas and he has no criminal history"

Then off to the post office I go for $100 express postage to Melbourne because the online system was still being implemented, 6 weeks later while sitting in LAX for my 5 hour layover before 15hrs to Sydney and I'm talking long distance to an officer in the Victoria licensing council to convince her that I need the gun license to be able to get the deer license and she is telling me that I can't get the gun license until I get the deer license.... so that I can show justifiable cause to be in possession of a firearm, and thus have the license granted.

45min later she agrees that one license must be granted before the other and she processes it through.... God Bless You Debbie!

ALL of this so that I can legally BORROW a rifle from a friend to go on a deer hunt in the Wonnangatta Valley..... Which I did and it was one of the best experiences of my life.

Now my apologies to the OP for getting long winded - but I shared this as an example of how you can hunt on a budget.... if your willing to do the bureaucracy dance for the wizards of OZ.

Last edited:
Ha Ha. I see you've experienced our Licensing & Regulation Division, that explains a lot. They are a division of the Victoria Police who handle firearm licensing. You were most probably dealing with a junior public servant. LRD tend to employ base grade public servants because they don't have to pay them very much. Anyone with talent and 'get up and go' does precisely that, they go to a better job elsewhere as soon as possible. As a consequence most of their public contact staff have no experience or knowledge. Hence the poor quality advice. In general they accept/prefer scanned document submitted via email - it helps them with storage and processing. As an organisation they have never come to terms with the concept that there are 100,000s of acres of Crown Land which are open to hunting and don't require special permissions.

In Victoria, deer are legally classified as a game animal and require a Game Licence, available via on-line application from the Game Management Authority. Pest animals such as rabbits, feral dogs, pigs etc don't need a Game Licence ie open slather.

Except for Hog Deer, we don't have to apply for 'tags' nor is hunting limited to a season. Deer hunting is also allowed in several of our National Parks. I don't believe there is a need for an International Hunter to be accompanied by a registered guide/outfitter.

Bow Hunting is still legal in most of Australia. The bans/proposed bans are only in South Australia and possibly Tasmania. Unfortunately, much of Australia has Labor Party State Governments, several of whom only hold onto government by virtue of the radical Greens, Legalise Cannabis and the Animal Justice Party. In Victoria, duck hunting is under massive threat due to the fact that while Labor has a comfortable majority in the Lower House, they are 6 seats short of a majority in the Upper House. Between them the Greens, the Legalise Cannabis and the Animal Justice Party hold 7 Upper House seats.

While your experiences may seem excessively beaurcratic, you should try apply to hunt in the US as a non-US resident.

Ha Ha. I see you've experienced our Licensing & Regulation Division, that explains a lot. They are a division of the Victoria Police who handle firearm licensing. You were most probably dealing with a junior public servant. LRD tend to employ base grade public servants because they don't have to pay them very much. Anyone with talent and 'get up and go' does precisely that, they go to a better job elsewhere as soon as possible. As a consequence most of their public contact staff have no experience or knowledge. Hence the poor quality advice. In general they accept/prefer scanned document submitted via email - it helps them with storage and processing. As an organisation they have never come to terms with the concept that there are 100,000s of acres of Crown Land which are open to hunting and don't require special permissions.

In Victoria, deer are legally classified as a game animal and require a Game Licence, available via on-line application from the Game Management Authority. Pest animals such as rabbits, feral dogs, pigs etc don't need a Game Licence ie open slather.

Except for Hog Deer, we don't have to apply for 'tags' nor is hunting limited to a season. Deer hunting is also allowed in several of our National Parks. I don't believe there is a need for an International Hunter to be accompanied by a registered guide/outfitter.

Bow Hunting is still legal in most of Australia. The bans/proposed bans are only in South Australia and possibly Tasmania. Unfortunately, much of Australia has Labor Party State Governments, several of whom only hold onto government by virtue of the radical Greens, Legalise Cannabis and the Animal Justice Party. In Victoria, duck hunting is under massive threat due to the fact that while Labor has a comfortable majority in the Lower House, they are 6 seats short of a majority in the Upper House. Between them the Greens, the Legalise Cannabis and the Animal Justice Party hold 7 Upper House seats.

While your experiences may seem excessively beaurcratic, you should try apply to hunt in the US as a non-US resident.

So what are the chances you would set aside a few days to hunt those national parks with some not-rich American Bowhunters who are willing to return the favor?

OH NO!.... I'm not only American but a Native Texan; once we get invited on a hunt there is no level of government bureaucracy that will stop me from lawfully hunting as I intend.

Example: I've was issued a Victoria visitors international firearms permit in 2019 - There were conflicting issues with the application, such as requirement of "an official state police stamp/seal of approval on the application as well as ALL of the official color copies of my Texas hunting license, Texas hunters safety card, Shooting/hunting club membership letter, Texas Concealed handgun license(they require copies of all licenses held)

Only problem is - The Texas State Troopers DO NOT HAVE A SEAL OR STAMP FOR DOCUMENTS!

So I walk into the Texas DPS headquarters in Austin Texas and the next thing I know they have a state trooper running a warrant search on me and validating my license to carry a handgun - Both came back in good standing and then they started going up the chain of command until we had the head of all handgun licensing looking at the application and seeing the conflicting questions until finally out of frustration he said to the trooper who ran my warrant search....

"Just sign the damn thing with your badge number and write on there that we do not have a state approval seal for permits, applicants permits are in good standing with the state of Texas and he has no criminal history"

Then off to the post office I go for $100 express postage to Melbourne because the online system was still being implemented, 6 weeks later while sitting in LAX for my 5 hour layover before 15hrs to Sydney and I'm talking long distance to an officer in the Victoria licensing council to convince her that I need the gun license to be able to get the deer license and she is telling me that I can't get the gun license until I get the deer license.... so that I can show justifiable cause to be in possession of a firearm, and thus have the license granted.

45min later she agrees that one license must be granted before the other and she processes it through.... God Bless You Debbie!

ALL of this so that I can legally BORROW a rifle from a friend to go on a deer hunt in the Wonnangatta Valley..... Which I did and it was one of the best experiences of my life.

Now my apologies to the OP for getting long winded - but I shared this as an example of how you can hunt on a budget.... if your willing to do the bureaucracy dance for the wizards of OZ.
@deewayne2003
You're got to love our Aussie beauracy. Try living with it.
Bob

H
So what are the chances you would set aside a few days to hunt those national parks with some not-rich American Bowhunters who are willing to return the favor?

If you do your research you may be able to access public land.

You might need to look into options for international visitors but Australians from other states can apply online for the licence

I think it's called Game Management Authority for Victoria.

No idea what it takes to travel with a Bow but I doubt you could bring a Crossbow into the country.

I wouldn't bring a Crossbow into Sydney because they are pretty much prohibited in New South Wales.

H

If you do your research you may be able to access public land.

You might need to look into options for international visitors but Australians from other states can apply online for the licence

I think it's called Game Management Authority for Victoria.

No idea what it takes to travel with a Bow but I doubt you could bring a Crossbow into the country.

I wouldn't bring a Crossbow into Sydney because they are pretty much prohibited in New South Wales.
@CBH Australia
Stupidity Chris. We have state Forrests that are bow hunting only but they will not allow a Grossman Air bow to be used because you need a catA firearms permit to own one. They are strange people these rule makers
Bob

@Hunter4752001

I am a hunting guide and I’ve brought in hunters from other countries and guess what…. 10min at any sporting goods store &$300 gets you 100% legal and good to go for EVERY hunting and fishing opportunity in Texas. -If I take you stripper fishing on lake Texoma it will cost you another $12 for the special license.

So I have never had ANYONE complain about our licensing in either Texas or Oklahoma.

I’m now working on a NSW Restricted R international license application.

Process is….

1. Study 93 pages of material
2. Take a 38 question test scoring 95% or better
3. Study another 90 pages of material and take another 40 question test with 95% or better score.
4. Join an OZ shooting club as mandated by law & $125 cost.
5. Show proof of $10mil of liability insurance
6. Submit all documents via email including giving your credit card info so that they can bill you the $125(no identity theft risk there) after approval.

Only after submitting all the documents does the primary industries council of NSW inform you that the permit must be approved before being issued and…

“Approvals may take up to 20 business days(4 weeks) or possibly longer”

Bottom line… if you come to OZ and drop $$$$$$ with a safari company you are more than welcomed by the government; but if your coming to hunt with Aussie mates - then the government would just as soon you not come at all.

Example - if I come to OZ to hunt with a safari company, I can bring my own rifle; however if I leave the care of that safari company and go to hunt scrubs on a mates private cattle station then I am required to….Lock my rifle in my mates safe and then borrow one of his rifles to hunt his own property.

Last edited:
@Hunter4752001

I am a hunting guide and I’ve brought in hunters from other countries and guess what…. 10min at any sporting goods store &$300 gets you 100% legal and good to go for EVERY hunting and fishing opportunity in Texas. -If I take you stripper fishing on lake Texoma it will cost you another $12 for the special license.

So I have never had ANYONE complain about our licensing in either Texas or Oklahoma.

I’m now working on a NSW Restricted R international license application.

Process is….

1. Study 93 pages of material
2. Take a 38 question test scoring 95% or better
3. Study another 90 pages of material and take another 40 question test with 95% or better score.
4. Join an OZ shooting club as mandated by law & $125 cost.
5. Show proof of $10mil of liability insurance
6. Submit all documents via email including giving your credit card info so that they can bill you the $125(no identity theft risk there) after approval.

Only after submitting all the documents does the primary industries council of NSW inform you that the permit must be approved before being issued and…

“Approvals may take up to 20 business days(4 weeks) or possibly longer”

Bottom line… if you come to OZ and drop $$$$$$ with a safari company you are more than welcomed by the government; but if your coming to hunt with Aussie mates - then the government would just as soon you not come at all.

Example - if I come to OZ to hunt with a safari company, I can bring my own rifle; however if I leave the care of that safari company and go to hunt scrubs on a mates private cattle station then I am required to….Lock my rifle in my mates safe and then borrow one of his rifles to hunt his own property.
That's crazy. Do they require most of these steps with a bow as well (no crossbow here)?

That's crazy. Do they require most of these steps with a bow as well (no crossbow here)?

@DonPablo - I do not believe so, from what I have read bow hunting is mostly unregulated except for Tasmania where it is banned.

From what I gather, as long as you have a place to hunt and are only hunting invasive animals you are good to go.

As far as crossbows.... I have NO CLUE, the best bet is to assume anything that has a trigger and remotely resembles a firearm is regulated to the point of being prohibitive.

Example: If you wish to play paintball in OZ you will find that paintball guns are indeed considered FIREARMS in OZ and you must have a firearm license to possess them and then.....

1. To obtain a shooter license proving that you have passed a firearms safety course and hold a firearms license.
2. You must apply for and obtain a PTA(Permit to Acquire) - For each paintball gun you own/want
3. After getting your PTA you then acquire your paintball gun that then must be registered as a firearm with the state police.
4. Your new paintball gun is subject to the safe storage requirements of the state of Australia you reside in - For example in Victoria you must have it stored in a locked safe and when transporting it in your vehicle it must also be locked in a secure storage container.

The only legal way for an American to bring a paintball gun into OZ is with an invitation letter from a local paintball club stating that you are attending a competition.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 10.07.20 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 10.07.20 AM Large.jpeg
    246 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 10.07.22 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 10.07.22 AM Large.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
So after reading a lot of this thread, I have concluded that hunting water buffalo is usually pretty expensive lol
@R.M.C.
Simple answer YES even for us Australians. That's why I chose Namibia over the Northern Territory. 7- 10,000 dollars AUD.
Bob

@R.M.C.
Simple answer YES even for us Australians. That's why I chose Namibia over the Northern Territory. 7- 10,000 dollars AUD.
Bob
I don't blame you, the price of some guided and even semi guided hunts in north america had me looking at South Africa. Way better deal. Its truly a shame that you locals can't even find cheap hunting.

@Hunter4752001

-If I take you stripper fishing on lake Texoma it will cost you another $12 for the special license.
In my younger days, I had experience on this topic. Although the strippers in Oklahoma were more affordable, for good reason, I never got into that action for only $12.

When we settled for the Oklahoma strippers we also called it hoggin', not fishin'.

Thank you in advance for allowing me some latitude to enjoy your extra "p."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scanerabledo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.