Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
For those who have recently traveled with firearms or have recently applied for the export license what is the current situation like? Who has gotten the export license and actually had to show it to someone? Is CBP the administer of this? Business as usual?

Looking for hard factual experience from recent trips to Africa.
Thanks!

@sestoppelman we flew to joburg on 26 June and got back on 8 July. We flew on delta from Phoenix to Atlanta to joburg.

I went through all the hassle to get an EIN number for my temporary export. This all proved to be a hassle as it never came up.

While getting my 4457 at my local CBP office, I asked about it and the agent said that it's not necessary right now. She was not sure when, if ever, the EIN would actually be needed.

Coming back in to Atlanta, we went through the global entry kiosk, expediting the whole immigration process. I then went to the oversized baggage area and waited for my rifle. CBP will not start checking rifle cases until all cases from the flight have arrived. From getting to the oversized baggage room to walking out with my rifle took about 30 minutes, mostly due to waiting for all the bags to arrive.

The CBP agent checked my rifle against my 4457, confirming serial number. That was it.

Of note, I brought along a supressor. No issues in either south Africa or Atlanta. I noted it on my 4457 before departing. Coming back in, the agents didn't even look at it. They were just concerned with the rifle serial number.

All told, the whole process was way less painful than I expected. The most frustrating part was taking that online quiz while trying to get my EIN, which was a waste of time.

Thanks for that report, this is what I am looking for. I remember last year when guys were scrambling trying to comply with is BS and having all manner of issues with it, then continued conflicting stories from varied CBP agents around the country. Sounds like its still mostly a matter of having an updated 4457 for everything.

Like to hear more reports on this, the more recent the better. Thanks!!!

I went in late April returned early May in and out of Joburg no problem. I got my 4457, had CBP sign off on 4 of them so I could have one on me, one with the gun, one in the luggage, and one extra. Not sure if that answers your question? Also no problem traveling into Africa with the pre approved permit from RiflePermits, and no problems upon leaving Africa either.

Reedy, did you bother getting the EIN permit like Rinehart above? Thanks!

Apparently I did not since I don't even know what that stands for, haha

Book a short notice elephant hunt in Namibia 3 weeks prior to my departure I had a old 4457 but a week before I left I got a new one just to be safe no EIN permit I traveled thru JFK to Botwsana via jo-berg and back again June 18 and back July 5 no problems they only ask for my 4457 customs form.

Thanks for that info. Has anyone heard if this is dropped permanently or still in the works for the near future?

I sent an email to CBP for clarification if any is known. Said it may be 2-3 weeks for a reply. This bureaucratic stuff drives me nucking futz.:eek:

Best to ask Robert from SSI, he will have the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems a little out of his area of expertise, but he is welcome to chime in.

From what I heard a year ago it is still floating around out there. It is my understanding that the reason that they didn't implement it fully last spring was that they were not ready for it.

That is my understanding as well. It was put on temporary hiatus, but not buried, unfortunately. Thanks!

Seems a little out of his area of expertise, but he is welcome to chime in.
When this EIN thing was "required", Robert was obtaining these numbers for some hunters in a very short time. I don't what his fee was though. Have never used it myself, so can't speak from experience!

I did not know that, I stand corrected.

For those who have recently traveled with firearms or have recently applied for the export license what is the current situation like? Who has gotten the export license and actually had to show it to someone? Is CBP the administer of this? Business as usual?

Looking for hard factual experience from recent trips to Africa.
Thanks!
Aug 2015 ..NY to Joberg then Windhoek and back..2 rifles for us took notorized customs paper with list of guns ,binocs,cameras ..Nothing else needed going or coming

Excatly, Robert was my importer for my Namibian hunt. He obtained the EIN number for his clients at no charge. I go to him with questions relating to all rules , regulations and pending law changes related to hunting. He is in the know in many areas.

When I was going over last year SSI helped me in giving me the instructions on how to obtain the EIN but I had to do it. They were then going to do the process for the rifles with my EIN.

Since I was headed over just after all this came to a head I obtained my EIN but a couple of weeks before I left they put it back on the shelf. If I remember right SSI was going to do the rifle permits with your EIN free of charge if you were a client of theirs.

I have an update from CBP on this question. According to Officer Hanzlik who answered my email about this, "the program is on hold". He added that one should still do the 4457 and so on. In other words business as usual. I also asked SSI about it and Robert told me much the same thing. Basically for now, fuggetaboutit. All good news in my view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.