W.J.JEFFERY & CO. Hand Crafted Big Game Rifles

HH the Purdey is a 303 deer stalking rifle . Jones underlever , non ejector , bolted safety made in 1898 for Viscount Chaplin a British land owner and Cabinet Minister . His father in law was the Duke of Sutherland . This rifle was kept at Dunrobin Castle in Scotland . It is in fabulous unrestored condition. I took a Chittal deer with it outside Brisbane in October. Also included photos of my other DRs . Purdey at bottom , then H&H Royal in 375 flanged magnum ( ex India ) , WR 450/400 NE sidelock ( ex HRH Fateh Singh Maharana of Udaipur ) , a JA Shirley 500NE with snap action under lever and rising bite which I commissioned in 2013. Have a Rigby 500 NE currently being built in London . All these rifles are often used and are proven killers.
PCC600, someday I’m going to rob your home for that magnificent Westley Richards sidelock ejecter in .450/400 Nitro Express.

Just kidding. You have an absolutely stunning collection. Did you specify the John Rigby & Co. .500 Nitro Express to be regulated with Hornady DGS/DGX ammunition ? Or will the gents at Rigby be using Kynamco ammunition for the regulation ?

His Royal Highness Fateh Singh of Udaipur also owned a beautiful pair of James Purdey & Sons 12 bore (2 1/2”) game guns with which he used to love hunting driven partridges. I was fortunate enough to hold #1 of the pair a few years ago.

PCC600, someday I’m going to rob your home for that magnificent Westley Richards sidelock ejecter in .450/400 Nitro Express.

Just kidding. You have an absolutely stunning collection. Did you specify the John Rigby & Co. .500 Nitro Express to be regulated with Hornady DGS/DGX ammunition ? Or will the gents at Rigby be using Kynamco ammunition for the regulation ?

His Royal Highness Fateh Singh of Udaipur also owned a beautiful pair of James Purdey & Sons 12 bore (2 1/2”) game guns with which he used to love hunting driven partridges. I was fortunate enough to hold #1 of the pair a few years ago.
I will put up some pics of the Maharana’s rifle in the next few days . It is superb . Have yet to specify the ammo for regulating the 500NE. Was thinking of going with Norma which is what was used for my other one .

HH the Purdey is a 303 deer stalking rifle . Jones underlever , non ejector , bolted safety made in 1898 for Viscount Chaplin a British land owner and Cabinet Minister . His father in law was the Duke of Sutherland . This rifle was kept at Dunrobin Castle in Scotland . It is in fabulous unrestored condition. I took a Chittal deer with it outside Brisbane in October. Also included photos of my other DRs . Purdey at bottom , then H&H Royal in 375 flanged magnum ( ex India ) , WR 450/400 NE sidelock ( ex HRH Fateh Singh Maharana of Udaipur ) , a JA Shirley 500NE with snap action under lever and rising bite which I commissioned in 2013. Have a Rigby 500 NE currently being built in London . All these rifles are often used and are proven killers.

View attachment 580787View attachment 580788View attachment 580789View attachment 580790View attachment 580791
What a beautiful display. Thanks for sharing, it's been a great joy being introduced to London guns, from history to current owner's collections and thoughts.

What a beautiful display. Thanks for sharing, it's been a great joy being introduced to London guns, from history to current owner's collections and thoughts.
The London makers and WR are generally very good with providing gun histories for a small fee. Knowing who went before you with a weapon really adds a mystique particularly when you are hunting. I recently read a fellow got FC Selous’ 425 WR at a fairly reasonable price because the vendor had never checked with WR on its provenance . A very very costly mistake.

The London makers and WR are generally very good with providing gun histories for a small fee. Knowing who went before you with a weapon really adds a mystique particularly when you are hunting. I recently read a fellow got FC Selous’ 425 WR at a fairly reasonable price because the vendor had never checked with WR on its provenance . A very very costly mistake.
I spoke with the folks at the WR booth at DSC. This is absolutely correct, they did however purchase it from the guy that bought it afterwards for a substantial price im sure. They had it at the show and it was incredible. My kids stood there in awe as I told them some information about Selous.

HH - here are some pics of the WR sidelock #17683 . Completed in 1920 . A beautiful best rifle sold from WR’s outlet at 23 Conduit Street in Mayfair . Directly opposite the original Bentley Motors and around the corner from H&H and George Gibbs. The action on this rifle is real belts and braces stuff . 2 Purdey underlumps , dolls head and a Greener cross bolt . Quadruple fasteners ! Has a bolted stalking safety . Also regulated for the full load not a tropical load . Came with spare sights , strikers , tools , cleaning gear . Has HRH Fateh Singh’s name inscribed in Urdu on the gold escutcheon on the stock . It shoots beautifully and with great effect on water buff . All in all just a wonderful thing .

IMG_3574.jpeg
IMG_3575.jpeg
IMG_3576.jpeg
IMG_3577.jpeg
IMG_3578.jpeg
IMG_3579.jpeg
IMG_3580.jpeg
IMG_3581.jpeg
IMG_3584.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
These Jeffery rifles are beautiful. I am glad to see them being built true to the lines of the original prewar rifles including engraving patterns. The engraving on the 500 above looks very similar to my original one which I love. Kudos!

I am very sorry that I missed them at the G&H booth at DSC. Totally slipped my mind to go by there. Ugh!

These Jeffery rifles are beautiful. I am glad to see them being built true to the lines of the original prewar rifles including engraving patterns. The engraving on the 500 above looks very similar to my original one which I love. Kudos!

I am very sorry that I missed them at the G&H booth at DSC. Totally slipped my mind to go by there. Ugh!
Thanks for sharing, and to have owned an original is historic. This is also the "one" that would have been pivotal @ the show. I was grateful, Griffin & Howe could share the photos, while it was out & on display. Unless I can see it, it's difficult to envision a final build where endless layers, options are available.

The stunning simplicity: @W.J.JEFFERY & CO. to me, makes it all more of an intrigue.
1705859712555.png

What is symbolic or where did the "Gold Oval" come from, underneath the stock on well-built bolts?

Thank you.

Read the Jeffery blog on these rifles; it explains quite simply how the difference between the 500 Jeffery and the Schuler 12.5X70 came about; a deliberate move by Jeffery, so definitely NOT the same. Personally, I like the barrel profile on the 500J and the balance philosophy behind it. Great thinkin on their part.
When I ordered the barrel for my 404J build, Lilja asked what profile. "I dunno anything about profiles. Whatever you think is best." He suggested #5. Okay, whatever. When I saw the rifle after Dennis Olsen finished mounting the 24" barrel, I was taken back a bit by the thickness. In hand the gun was indeed heavy ... but turns out the balance is perfect! Just ahead of magazine floorplate. Weight in all the right places makes this rifle point very steady. Recoil is also manageable ... once I learned to hold it like a thumper instead of 30-06.

View attachment 580787View attachment 580788View attachment 580789View attachment 580790View attachment 580791
The bitterness of my jealousy is nearly boundless.

I have bolt cutters and power tools. :A Hi Five:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buyproductboxesuk

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.