Visiting the London Gunmakers + London Recommendations for Mid-October 2023?

alexaib

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hello AH! I had an awesome time hosting @dchum and @gearhead7 here at my office (The Castle) in Austin, Texas yesterday and am looking forward to a dinner with the legendary @Red Leg later this week! It's been so wonderful meeting folks from the forum here in Central Texas! Thanks again to @rookhawk for my first introductions!

I'm heading to London for business and pleasure in mid-October and I have never been, despite being an enthusiastic history buff and Anglophile. I'll be staying at a club on Piccadilly. I'm really, really excited.

@SFRanger7GP has been kind enough to introduce me to some of the folks at Rigby and I'm planning a visit there. I was also hoping to visit Holland & Holland, Purdey, and Boss & Co. Some questions:

1. Is there anyone at those firms I should reach out to?
2. Are there any other gunmakers or purveyors of fine firearms, safari clothes, field gear, etc in London that I should visit?
3. Any particular Savile Row shops worth a stop?
4. Any must-do restaurants or cocktail bars?
5. Any must-visit art galleries?
6. Any first-visit museums I need to hit besides The British Museum and The Imperial War Museum?

If you have any recommendations for a former cavalry captain who loves history books, art, fine firearms, arms & armor + militaria, classic men's clothing, gun dogs, horse polo, and of course fine food, please let me know! My old commander once called me a "Bon Vivant," and he wasn't wrong!

P.S. Here's a sneak peek of The Castle! Come visit me in Austin!

Castle Dining Room.jpg
Castle Foyer.jpg
Castle Lounge.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a pleasure meeting you.

Folks, Alex is a true Texan that just happened to be born in the state of Ohio. I think he found his home here in the lone star state hahah.

Now we just need to get out and shoot your new rifles bud

I live in Austin also. We spend 1/2 the year in Colorado and the other 1/2 in Barton Creek. Wrapping up our summer stay in Colorado and will be back in Austin by the 1st of October. Let's get together then.

We stay at the Arts Club in Mayfair when we go. Very small, boutique hotel with a great bar and outdoor eating area. Lots of great restaurants nearby. Novikov Restaurant and Bar is unique. An Italian side and Japanese side. It is very nice and always see celebrities when dining there. Last time, Ion Tiriac was to our left and we talked about Wimbledon/tennis, Piers Morgan was to our right and we talked US politics. Gerhard Schroder was the next table and very pleasant to visit with.

Have fun in London.

I have visited Rigby, Purdey & William Evans. All nice but Rigby was exceptional because they took me back to the production floor to see doubles being hand made. If you're at all into English Shoes & Clothing you must go to Jermyn Street. It's all mens shops and well worth the time. Best shoes in the world for style and durability! Davidoff Cigar is also right around the corner. Many excellent Pubs to visit. The best is going on a Sunday. You must make reservations to have 'Sunday Supper' at one of them. Also a great experience. Then, the Abby is worth the time and Churchill's Bunker was also very interesting if your a Churchill, WWII buff. Last, Borough Market is a must. It's a spectacular outdoor market. Make sure you go hungry! And find the stand selling Sicilian Cannoli. Best I every had!

Plenty of history to see in London. There are some old Roman wall structures in the city. I would try to fit in a few hours to see the Tower of London as there are quite a few displays. The Royal Albert museum and Westminster Abbey are other places you may want to see.

If you are in Austin, the Castle and Alex are a must see. Lived here for 5 years and had never been, was blown away. Thanks again for having us!

For clothing, etc - New Bond Street. How many days in London?

Last time I was in London I ate at the most incredible high end Indian restaurant. It is called Veeraswamy. The restaurant is located right on Regent St. in central London.

It was awarded a Michelin star in 2016 just 2 years after I had dined there.

London is known for its Indian cuisine of course and I feel Veeraswamy is a must try!

Hi @alexaib,

Welcome to AH! You may already have the contacts need for Rigby but I personally know Jerome Lanoue (International Sales) and Mark Newton (Managing Director) at Rigby so please look them up when you go. I agree with @ftrovato seeing Rigby is a must.

Bill

Posted this before but still relevant.
Obviously you will also see the sights. If you do the Tower of London then walk over Tower Bridge and up river and have a look at HLS Belfast then the Imperial War Museum. It’s worth it. If you’re into that sort of thing. Also worth booking on line a visit to Windsor castle. The display of arms is one of the best I’ve seen. Also has stuff for the wife to look at.
Now after all that running around. I’d book a table here.
https://scalinilondon.co.uk/
Try the veal.
Best Italian imo in London. Have even taken Italians (hard to please them as their mum always makes it better) they said it’s was very good.

Also really good book shop Stanfords in Convent Garden. Maps and travel writing.

Hello AH! I had an awesome time hosting @dchum and @gearhead7 here at my office (The Castle) in Austin, Texas yesterday and am looking forward to a dinner with the legendary @Red Leg later this week! It's been so wonderful meeting folks from the forum here in Central Texas! Thanks again to @rookhawk for my first introductions!

I'm heading to London for business and pleasure in mid-October and I have never been, despite being an enthusiastic history buff and Anglophile. I'll be staying at a club on Piccadilly. I'm really, really excited.

@SFRanger7GP has been kind enough to introduce me to some of the folks at Rigby and I'm planning a visit there. I was also hoping to visit Holland & Holland, Purdey, and Boss & Co. Some questions:

1. Is there anyone at those firms I should reach out to?
2. Are there any other gunmakers or purveyors of fine firearms, safari clothes, field gear, etc in London that I should visit?
3. Any particular Savile Row shops worth a stop?
4. Any must-do restaurants or cocktail bars?
5. Any must-visit art galleries?
6. Any first-visit museums I need to hit besides The British Museum and The Imperial War Museum?

If you have any recommendations for a former cavalry captain who loves history books, art, fine firearms, arms & armor + militaria, classic men's clothing, gun dogs, horse polo, and of course fine food, please let me know! My old commander once called me a "Bon Vivant," and he wasn't wrong!

P.S. Here's a sneak peek of The Castle! Come visit me in Austin!

View attachment 558486View attachment 558487View attachment 558488
You will love staying at the Cavalry and Guards Club . It is fabulous . Try and eat in the dining room one night . They may have grouse on the menu , washed down with a Bordeaux . A very short walk up Piccadilly is Apsley House , still owned by the Duke of Wellington . A private museum housing astonishing art and swords , batons etc . The National Portrait Gallery in Trafalgar Square is amazing and free! You have the London gunmakers covered. After you have seen the guys at Rigby go to nearby Greenwich . Home of the Royal Observatory, the naval museum and Cutty Sark . Finally if time permits jump on a train at Euston Station and go up and visit Westley Richards in Birmingham . It is the best set up gun/ rifle shop and they are very friendly . Have a great trip .

If you have time, I would hop the train to Birmingham and visit Westley Richards. Their shop and factory are incredible.

I second the comments on the Cavalry and Guards Club. It is very good. If you have chance, I would visit Rules Restaurant for very good, traditional British Food and Boisdale for Scottish food. Both very good but at the more expensive end. Most of the Savile Row tailors are just a small showroom but Jermyn Street better for ready to wear clothing. Cordings on Piccadilly sell well made country clothing and suits and would probably be my first choice. You do pay for the name to some extent but it is good quality.

Rigby definitely worth a visit. My wife and I turned up and got a full tour of the workshops. They went to a lot of effort for us.

The Wallace Collection is worth a visit if you are interested in art.

If you want a traditional pub, it is worth trying a Sam Smiths Pub. They are family owned and sell various beers that the family brew themselves. Like a craft brewery but not trendy in any way and has been owned by the same family for several centuries. Their beers are brewed in a Yorkshire square so taste more creamy than southern English beers. The Chandos on Trafalger Square is one of their pubs.

@alexaib

Fantastic room you have there, unfortunately Austin is a bit out of my daily itinerary.

Regarding London fine places take a look on youtube channel "from suit to shoot".
You will find there, nice tailors, barbershops, shoe stores, hunting clothes, fine guns, cigars, and finally high class shooting events. Just like 100 years ago in Victorian London. It will give you idea how to spend a day in London.

One of the best book shops is Hatchaards, at 187 Piccadilly. Same central London area as many of the gun and clothing shops. They have been in business since 1779. One of their specializations are books covering the colonial phase of the British Empire. Lots of Africana with their British explorers.

1695211646428.jpeg

One of the best book shops is Hatchaards, at 187 Piccadilly. Same central London area as many of the gun and clothing shops. They have been in business since 1779. One of their specializations are books covering the colonial phase of the British Empire. Lots of Africana with their British explorers.

View attachment 558682

I was just in Hatchard’s last month. Fabulous place!

If you have time, I would hop the train to Birmingham and visit Westley Richards. Their shop and factory are incredible.
I want to go to W&R next time in London. Sounds like a great experience!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnaEichel0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.