Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Canada, USA, NZ
Does anyone have experience flying Virgin Atlantic to JNB via Heathrow with rifles?

I’d like to get feedback about their agents and their level of experience handling rifle permits. Did it go well? Any issues?

The fare for business class is good for my dates. Just haven’t heard much about them.

Thanks in advance.

I checked their web site a while back.
There was info there about flying with firearms.

I’m hoping to hear from someone that has flown with them, with rifles, to get the first hand experience…

Your key question is do you have to get your rifles transferred between terminals at Heathrow airport or can you check them straight through, getting security to transfer your rifles may be a challenge, certainly in terms of time.

I’ve travelled very often with rifles to and from the US using Heathrow, I have dual nationality and also have a UK firearms permit as I live in both countries. I have a South Africa trip in May and will travel from the US on the Atlanta direct to Johannesburg route, I do not want to risk issues by trying to travel via London Heathrow. The ground staff who can handle firearms for airport security are very few, London Heathrow ground security are very anti hunter and anti gun in my opinion.

I really like flying with Virgin airlines and would not hesitate to use them for direct flights with hunting rifles. It’s not the airline that is responsible for ground transfer between terminals, it’s the airport security staff.

Good luck working out your travel plans.

Thank you! Very helpful and much appreciated… You must be a Yooper?

Good Luck to you too…

I fly Detroit to London Heathrow a lot, it is operated by Delta and Virgin and travels in and out of Terminal 3 at Heathrow, it looks like the Heathrow to JNB flight also travels out of terminal 3. I would check with Virgin but I would guess you can travel with your luggage and rifles going straight through Heathrow.

People who have had issues are normally changing airlines and have to swap terminals which often involves, clearing baggage on arrival and then rechecking baggage with another airline in a different terminal. They will not allow you to clear your rifles and take them to another terminal, you need specific security personnel to do this task at Heathrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristineFu

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.