Use a service for a hunt in RSA in early April?

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by mstewart44, Jan 25, 2010.

1. mstewart44

mstewart44 AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Planning a safari April 9 to April 18. We are to be the first hunters in camp for the year. Given this is so early in the hunting season, do you think using a service would be necessary for the gun permitting? If I were going in August, I wouldn't ask since this is prime time for hunting, but what do you guys think about the need for a service so early in the year?

2. UTASS

UTASS New Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Personally, I would not bother. Like you say it is early in the season. It is also easier if your arrival day is not on a weekend.

Regards,
    Stephan

3. wagnerwwh

wagnerwwh AH Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, Dallas Safari Club, Houston Safari Club, Rocky Mt Elk Foundation, Namibia Professional Hunters Association, Northwest Sportsman Club, Texas Trophy Hunters, Texas Bighorn Society, Washington Arms Collectors
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Canada (British Columbia, Alberta, Quebec), Argentina, USA
    If your outfitter or booking agent are doing their job and providing you the information and forms you need it is a waste of money. They can't clear anything for you until you arrive. Get the forms and fill them out at home before you go. It will actually take less time than using a service.

Also don't forget you need to have a "Letter of Invitation" from the outfitter or you will not get through the South African police with your gun.