Understanding The Phenomenon Of Jacket-Core Separation

Yeah typical crap performance from NP.
I would not call that crap performance if the animal was taken cleanly. One must remember the NP was invented in the late 1940s when typical velocity was 2500-2700 fps. If pushed to 2900-3100 you will see that front portion seperate but if the rear portion continues to the opposite side hide it has expended all its energy inside the animal and to me that is fine performance.

I would not call that crap performance if the animal was taken cleanly. One must remember the NP was invented in the late 1940s when typical velocity was 2500-2700 fps. If pushed to 2900-3100 you will see that front portion seperate but if the rear portion continues to the opposite side hide it has expended all its energy inside the animal and to me that is fine performance.
Yes but I disagree with the whole concept, especially on larger PG and definitely no place for DG for NP.

Yes but I disagree with the whole concept, especially on larger PG and definitely no place for DG for NP.
The blue wildebeest was feet in the air instantly. Shot in the shoulder at 100 yards with bullet lodged in hide of opposite shoulder. My PH said he'd only seen one other instance of blue wildebeest tipping over on the spot and it was shot with a larger caliber than my 30-06. The gemsbuck shot two days later was incoming at maybe twenty yards, shot in the chest, then shot again still running at twelve yards in the shoulder. Both bullets blew up its heart. I only shot it a second time in self defense ... maybe. The third gemsbuck last year I hit initially on the fly through the neck. It was bleeding out when I finished it with frontal shot in the chest through the heart. It then ran about thirty yards and piled up. Typical behavior for heart shot no matter what bullet is used. I suspect that bullet didn't partially disintegrate like the other two because it was a frontal shot that didn't hit much bone.

I would not classify any of those as "crap performance." My only complaint would be Partitions can be excessively damaging to meat. Perhaps 180 gr would kill just as dead with less meat damage? But they would have less range which can be important for plains game. Also, I suppose the 165 gr not leaving a huge gaping exit wound would be a nice feature for anyone needing the cape. So that would not be seen as crappy performance.

The thing that makes Partitions premium is their ability to stay on track even after shedding everything ahead of the partition.

Partitions are a bit dated but still a fine bullet in my opinion.

Partitions are a bit dated but still a fine bullet in my opinion.
I respectfully disagree. I much prefer a bullet that expands and retains its weight, whether it becomes a mushroom shape like a Swift A-Frame or petals like a Barnes TTSX.

The blue wildebeest was feet in the air instantly. Shot in the shoulder at 100 yards with bullet lodged in hide of opposite shoulder. My PH said he'd only seen one other instance of blue wildebeest tipping over on the spot and it was shot with a larger caliber than my 30-06. The gemsbuck shot two days later was incoming at maybe twenty yards, shot in the chest, then shot again still running at twelve yards in the shoulder. Both bullets blew up its heart. I only shot it a second time in self defense ... maybe. The third gemsbuck last year I hit initially on the fly through the neck. It was bleeding out when I finished it with frontal shot in the chest through the heart. It then ran about thirty yards and piled up. Typical behavior for heart shot no matter what bullet is used. I suspect that bullet didn't partially disintegrate like the other two because it was a frontal shot that didn't hit much bone.

I would not classify any of those as "crap performance." My only complaint would be Partitions can be excessively damaging to meat. Perhaps 180 gr would kill just as dead with less meat damage? But they would have less range which can be important for plains game. Also, I suppose the 165 gr not leaving a huge gaping exit wound would be a nice feature for anyone needing the cape. So that would not be seen as crappy performance.

The thing that makes Partitions premium is their ability to stay on track even after shedding everything ahead of the partition.
Yes but the remains of the bullet after quick shedding don’t expand much. If I want to shoot a solid, I will shoot a real solid. If I want expansion, I will shoot an expanding bullet that retains its weight.

As long as it is effective, NP is good bullet in my opinion. Generally regarded as first premium bullet in history, although this is not correct - first one was German H-mantel of similar construction.

In any case front part of NP creates some shock, and transmits energy.
Once front part is gone, partition part moves on with deep penetration and often with exit wound.
The drawback, if any, is eventually small exit wound, with less blood spoor.

Bonded bullets are great, as well, but mushrooming in any case reduces penetration, this is their drawback.

Final performance will depend on choice of bullet for specific animal, and choice of caliber for that animal.

Basically the trick is to know what to use, and for what.
There is no perfect bullet for everything. There is no "panacea bullet".

@NS 9x56
The old round nose seems to have a much more dramatic effects in game. Yes you may have to shorten your shots but in reality how often is game shit. Past 250 yards. I can honestly say 90% of the game shoot would be less than 200.. This big 250gn 35 cal round nose really hammer bigger critters.
Bob
Now that opens up another rabbit trail. I agree and would add that round nose bullets open quicker and hold together better. I suggest because the nose of the bullet is not so long and skinny. I carry Peregrine VRG mono copper softs in my 458 lott. My theory is that if it doesn't open, then it will act as a solid. It is a flat nose bullet with a brass wedge inside the hollow point. So it has the same profile and trajectory as the solids. Not a long range sniper but more reliable than boat tail spitzer mono metals.

This whole jacket shedding post makes me nervous!
I have 3 caliber’s shooting Norma Oryx and am seeing lots of destruction at exit
but haven’t shot anything big enough to catch them for examination
.270win 150gr for kudu and nyala, 375 300gr of buffalo was my plan
now I wonder if I can whip up some north fork loads in time

Bonded bullets are great, as well, but mushrooming in any case reduces penetration, this is their drawback.

Final performance will depend on choice of bullet for specific animal, and choice of caliber for that animal.

Basically the trick is to know what to use, and for what.
There is no perfect bullet for everything. There is no "panacea bullet".
Well said.

Yes but the remains of the bullet after quick shedding don’t expand much. If I want to shoot a solid, I will shoot a real solid. If I want expansion, I will shoot an expanding bullet that retains its weight.
The concept behind Partitions is to cause significant internal damage due to fragmentation with enough bullet remaining to still continue on the same flight plan. The problem with old style hollow point bullets is they either completely disintegrated or what remained would often as not get knocked off course. Losing weight is not necessarily a bad thing if it causes enough damage to kill quickly.

I have 3 caliber’s shooting Norma Oryx and am seeing lots of destruction at exit
I believe the oryx line are a bonded bullet.

I believe the oryx line are a bonded bullet.
In my experience they performed well, I hunted few seasons with them. Roe deer, and boar. 308 win. 180 grain. Yes. Bonded.

Check with your PH, but I believe you should be in good shape with those bullets and weights.

Since I discovered Rhino bullets they are all I use.....excellent performance from small to dg.....everytime....jacket seperation, partitoning or fragmentation is not part of my dialog.....

Since I discovered Rhino bullets they are all I use.....excellent performance from small to dg.....everytime....jacket seperation, partitoning or fragmentation is not part of my dialog.....
That’s all fine and dandy, but the only country where you can actually get some is RSA

They are....even 45gr hornet performs....
I truelly dont understand that some.folks think they will not expand because they are bonded....they are also of weight forward design which ensures straight line penetration and expansion each and every time.....

Norma Oryx bullets are among the best of the currently available bonded bullets in my opinion. I've used them with complete satisfaction for shooting mule deer, elk, black bear, kudu, oryx, and giraffe with calibers .243, 30-06, and 9.3x62 and 9.3x74R. Every bullet I've recovered was on the far side, under the skin, and expanded to over double diameter and retained 90% or more weight, even after hitting bone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviaJoine

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.