Uberti Courtney Stalking Rifle 45/70 For Sale

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
i purchased the rifle new from euro optics. The rifle functions perfectly, BUT here is the issue. The iron sights shoot low even when moved up to max elevation. I purchased a shorter front sight and it is still low. I bought the rifle to shoot specifically with iron sights so it is of no use to me. With a scope it is a fine shooter, that is just not what i was interested in. I spoke with Tom Leoni and it seems the iron sights were regulated for the 303 model and then they just stuck those same ones on the 45/70.
It is a beautiful and handy little rifle but it does not fit my needs. I also added a marbles tang sight. The screw for the tang sight Is a little roughed up, but that is not the factory screw for the rifle. I have it and it is in perfect condition, and if you wish you can order a replacement screw set from Midway for about $8.
The gun cost me $1600 plus shipping and the marble sight was $127 all together if I remember correctly
$1200 OBO takes it all shipped. I have some other stuff to go along with it if interested. Bullets and brass and such if you need it, we can discuss that.

20240211_084530.jpg

It appears that front sight ramp is screwed on, and is at least .250 height. Marbles sells a .100 base (.340 width) that should be a direct replacement and solve your problem. That’s the base I used on my PMD project.

IMG_2189.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotcha. So you can buy a replacement ramp as well not just the dovetail insert? I replaced the front sight insert with a lower one but I didn't realize you could replace the ramp with a lower one. Thanks man.

Yes sir, just need to measure your barrel diameter to order the correct base curve.

If you try this proposed fix, let me know how it works out. I have the same rifle and the same problem.

Will do. Apparently they marketed these rifles knowing this was an issue. They just took the sights that worked on the 303 model and put them on this one.

Will do. Apparently they marketed these rifles knowing this was an issue. They just took the sights that worked on the 303 model and put them on this one.
Nice..... It's a beautiful "over the fireplace" piece or a club in hand to hand combat situations..

i purchased the rifle new from euro optics. The rifle functions perfectly, BUT here is the issue. The iron sights shoot low even when moved up to max elevation. I purchased a shorter front sight and it is still low. I bought the rifle to shoot specifically with iron sights so it is of no use to me. With a scope it is a fine shooter, that is just not what i was interested in. I spoke with Tom Leoni and it seems the iron sights were regulated for the 303 model and then they just stuck those same ones on the 45/70.
It is a beautiful and handy little rifle but it does not fit my needs. I also added a marbles tang sight. The screw for the tang sight Is a little roughed up, but that is not the factory screw for the rifle. I have it and it is in perfect condition, and if you wish you can order a replacement screw set from Midway for about $8.
The gun cost me $1600 plus shipping and the marble sight was $127 all together if I remember correctly
$1200 OBO takes it all shipped. I have some other stuff to go along with it if interested. Bullets and brass and such if you need it, we can discuss that.
Is this a side by side double barrel?

rwp315, his was single barrel. Those front sight pics are of my 12ga to .45-70 SxS “Poor Man’s Double” conversion.

rwp315, his was single barrel. Those front sight pics are of my 12ga to .45-70 SxS “Poor Man’s Double” conversion.
Pretty neat. Interesting!
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
The Puckett's

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you