Traveling with 2 Rifles to RSA: Gun Cases, Ammo Case, Gear, and Luggage?

I just did what Philip Glass did and cut the 2 center holes off the case, they can cut 4 about as fast as 2 if they wanted in bad enough and now I have 2 spares to take in my carry on instead of buying 4 more

looks like you are going to need 6 locks for that case plus 6 spares incase they cut them all
Problem Solved:

A2CF8BE1-08AA-4EF5-BC1B-7A6DBB549EC5.jpeg
163691F5-BAE9-45F0-B17D-F1E2E062B758.jpeg
E0DA99DF-7298-40FC-9899-91E6CB812774.jpeg

Nighthawk, believe it or not but 10 years ago we changed lifestyle and sold everything (except my guns) and moved into a 40 5th wheel and traveled for 5 years, when we did the big sale I had a gun case just like yours and sold it for 50 dollars now I kick myself for not trying to keep it

Following up on my rifle transport to and from SA.

I ended up using my wheeled Cabela’s aluminum case for both rifles. I bought an additional piece of foam to cut out to allow my riffles to be fitted perfectly in the case and inserted a little extra foam for protection. This worked out perfectly.

I packed my ammo in a Medium size Pelican case along with a few other items: knife, leather man, flashlight, headlamp, gun straps, spare magazines, small tool bag for scope adjustments, spare locks…

Gun Case and Pelican Case were my two check on bags. I used standard locks on my gun case and TSA cable type combo locks on my ammo.

I carried on all my clothes and my RF Bino’s in one standard hard side 4 wheel carry on.

I also carried on a medium size backpack that I packed my smaller toiletry bag in along with documents and other essentials.

5F3D939D-B029-478C-8CB0-090DC22B689F.jpeg

47322334-04B4-42CE-8F3A-E75230F9D412.jpeg

I started my trips to Africa using a Peli 1750. 2 trips later I realised that it was too damned long and awkward for airline travel.
I resized to a Peli 3220. This allows me to fit 2 dismantled rifles in the case along with some gear/clothing.The PH always has you shoot a target before hunting so any potential loss of zero from taking the action out of the stock can be corrected.
Taking this further I noted this year how much of what I brought with me I actually used. If you have a daily wash service you are flying ! I’m now looking at a Peli 3100 to further downsize my luggage. It falls within the 62” overall dimensions rule. In all honesty no checkin staff has ever pulled me up on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IvyPrim830

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.