Tipping Guide

A question - how much do you tip in a restaurant at home?
I heard that in the USA it's approaching 30%.
Is that true?
Totally crazy if that's the case.
I’m from VA and NJ and tip in restaurant as follows:
1). 15-17% for a standard meal w/average service.
2). 25% - 30% for a good meal in a restaurant i frequent often or some extra good service.
3). 35%-50% for something “outstanding” and in a restaurant I frequent - know the staff and get treated “above average” - free drink/desert, good table w/No reservation.
4). 10% or less for a disaster - rude/smug or indifferent waitress/waiter, poor food that is Not removed from the check, extremely slow service or multiple “mistakes” (wrong main course delivered, dessert forgotten etc..)

I’m from VA and NJ and tip in restaurant as follows:
1). 15-17% for a standard meal w/average service.
2). 25% - 30% for a good meal in a restaurant i frequent often or some extra good service.
3). 35%-50% for something “outstanding” and in a restaurant I frequent - know the staff and get treated “above average” - free drink/desert, good table w/No reservation.
4). 10% or less for a disaster - rude/smug or indifferent waitress/waiter, poor food that is Not removed from the check, extremely slow service or multiple “mistakes” (wrong main course delivered, dessert forgotten etc..)
Your money your choice.
But unfortunately you're contributing to the toxic tipping culture we have.
%10 for a disaster????? So a terrible restaurant, waiter, cook can keep operating and give the same shitty service over and over?
%35-50? wtf???
What you might call outstanding somebody might call average and frowned upon when they tip %15-17 after you.
It's like any other personal choice, your actions might be affecting others without you realizing and that's what happening here in America.

after lamenting over tipping on every African hunt we've ever done.. I finally decided to make it simple for myself..

for PG hunting, I tip the PH a flat $100 per hunting day... I also set aside an additional $100 per day for tips for the camp staff (cooks, cleaners, etc).. so my budget is simple.. if Im hunting for 5x days, I bring $1K in cash for tips..

For DG, that number gets doubled..

Clearly if service sucks or there are problems that could have been avoided but werent, the tip would reflect those issues.. but I can honestly say, 6x hunts into South Africa, and I have yet to have an experience where that has happened.. service has always been exceptional everywhere we've gone..

In addition to cash I usually have a few "items" with me that get left behind as well.. typically spent brass gets left with the PH (I generally shoot 375 HH or 308.. both of which are highly sought after by the PH's I hunt with).. live ammo gets left behind.. etc.. I also typically bring over a handful of things like handmade knives for the PHs' and will usually have a handful of inexpensive things like the little $3 headlamps you can get at wal-mart or the $7 cabelas mini multi-tools that I will give the camp staff when I see them working over the course of the week... I also typically bring a big bag of hard candies and always offer a handful to the trackers, skinners, cleaners, etc whenever I see them..

Its amazing how much goodwill and hard work will be bought by simply showing a laborer a little respect, kindness, and handing them a $0.03 piece of candy while giving them a polite morning greeting, or handing them a little $3 headlamp when you see them walking around in the dark at night..

those little gestures, combined with a reasonable tip at the end of the hunt ensures quality service throughout the visit, and a very welcomed greeting the next time you return..

Your money your choice.
But unfortunately you're contributing to the toxic tipping culture we have.
%10 for a disaster????? So a terrible restaurant, waiter, cook can keep operating and give the same shitty service over and over?
%35-50? wtf???
What you might call outstanding somebody might call average and frowned upon when they tip %15-17 after you.
It's like any other personal choice, your actions might be affecting others without you realizing and that's what happening here in America.
OK Doubleplay let’s set up a few ground rules - I’m not gonna imply You are cheap and maybe you can refrain from claiming that my “singular” tipping habits are “contributing to the toxic tipping culture” or that my “actions might be affecting others” - two of the most ridiculous comments I’ve ever read on this forum. [[I’m also Not adding to Global Warming]]. A waiter in most restaurants is paid “less then minimum wage” and has little control over the quality of the food etc...therefore, unless he has a bad/lazy attitude - I’m not punishing him/her for things beyond their control....but I will have a brief civil discussion with the owner/manager and likely will Not return to that establishment in the future. Restaurant prices are based on paying their waiters “low pay” and if that ever changes - YOU (the customer) will be charged more for the food = same end Cost to you. IF I can afford to give a better tip and want to - affects No One except my wallet and the Waiter’s wallet. Most waiters make considerably less then I do and work hard - I never give money to “panhandlers & beggers” but will to hard working people....I don’t consider myself generous, as my Parens told me “it’s Not generous if you can afford it”...at best it’s “fair”. Also, sometimes I’m tipping as a bit of a “bribe” - I want some special treatment for when I take my Wife or Family to a special dinner, nothing Nobel about my tipping practices (I’m Not that nice of a guy) and I believe others may conduct themselves with similar motives. Now, I’m not offended by your remarks (I don’t take offense to much) no need for any apology etc.. I actually like hearing different opinions and views, especially ones I don’t agree with....but I do think your comments are incorrect. So now that I’ve ranted on like a grammar school girl - regards and good safe hunting to You.

OK Doubleplay let’s set up a few ground rules - I’m not gonna imply You are cheap and maybe you can refrain from claiming that my “singular” tipping habits are “contributing to the toxic tipping culture” or that my “actions might be affecting others” - two of the most ridiculous comments I’ve ever read on this forum. [[I’m also Not adding to Global Warming]]. A waiter in most restaurants is paid “less then minimum wage” and has little control over the quality of the food etc...therefore, unless he has a bad/lazy attitude - I’m not punishing him/her for things beyond their control....but I will have a brief civil discussion with the owner/manager and likely will Not return to that establishment in the future. Restaurant prices are based on paying their waiters “low pay” and if that ever changes - YOU (the customer) will be charged more for the food = same end Cost to you. IF I can afford to give a better tip and want to - affects No One except my wallet and the Waiter’s wallet. Most waiters make considerably less then I do and work hard - I never give money to “panhandlers & beggers” but will to hard working people....I don’t consider myself generous, as my Parens told me “it’s Not generous if you can afford it”...at best it’s “fair”. Also, sometimes I’m tipping as a bit of a “bribe” - I want some special treatment for when I take my Wife or Family to a special dinner, nothing Nobel about my tipping practices (I’m Not that nice of a guy) and I believe others may conduct themselves with similar motives. Now, I’m not offended by your remarks (I don’t take offense to much) no need for any apology etc.. I actually like hearing different opinions and views, especially ones I don’t agree with....but I do think your comments are incorrect. So now that I’ve ranted on like a grammar school girl - regards and good safe hunting to You.

I’m going to agree that “your probably not a nice guy”. Tip whatever you want!
:)

HH

Mimm..I guess you did not read the part where I said your money your choice.
I have no intention of offending you or anybody just stating some facts either you agree or not.
We are not living in a vacuum and every individual action has an effect to the big picture including Climate change (it's not Global warming), traffic, politics, etc...
As someone who is very familiar with restaurant industry I'm fully aware of how the system works. Your tip to the wait staff is also shared by kitchen staff (at a lower percentage) , so your argument it's not the waiters fault does not matter, because you are basically rewarding the kitchen for a bad job when you tip for a bad experience..
The biggest problem in this country is the uneducated consumer who thinks they are rewarding the waiter but in reality they're making it up to the owner who's not paying a decent salary to wait staff like every civilized country in the World.
I'm more than willing to pay more for food and served by professional service personnel instead of college students or part time untrained waiters whom they see the job as in between something permanent and expect everybody to tip %15-20 regardless.
In the latter case your %10-15 tip is really appreciated and not expected.
Tipping is not about how generous, how rich or cheap you are, it's all about how you are satisfied as a paying customer.
Finally good and safe hunting to you as well.

Last edited:
Mimm..I guess you did not read the part where I said your money your choice.
I have no intention of offending you or anybody just stating some facts either you agree or not.
We are not living in a vacuum and every individual action has an effect to the big picture including Climate change (it's not Global warming), traffic, politics, etc...
As someone who is very familiar with restaurant industry I'm fully aware of how the system works. Your tip to the wait staff is also shared by kitchen staff (at a lower percentage) , so your argument it's not the waiters fault does not matter, because you are basically rewarding the kitchen for a bad job when you tip for a bad experience..
The biggest problem in this country is the uneducated consumer who thinks they are rewarding the waiter but in reality they're making it up to the owner who's not paying a decent salary to wait staff like every civilized country in the World.
I'm more than willing to pay more for food and served by professional service personnel instead of college students or part time untrained waiters whom they see the job as in between something permanent and expect everybody to tip %15-20 regardless.
In the latter case your %10-15 tip is really appreciated and not expected.
Tipping is not about how generous, how rich or cheap you are, it's all about how you are satisfied as a paying customer.
Finally good and safe hunting to you as well.
Double Play, this really isn’t serious is it? It’s not to me...everyone is “familiar” with the Restaurant industry some worked in it and others just pay attention when they eat in one. Some restaurants do pool tips - others don’t and many don’t pool “equal shares” with the Waiter getting the larger portion. Also, cash tips are a nice way to reward a good waiter vs leaving on your cc. If you want to get a table in a top NYC restaurant w/out having a reservation - or get a nice corner table- unlikely w/out handing Hostess (or someone) a $100 bill....that I consider a “bribe” and don’t play that game - but many do and agree that makes it somewhat unfair for the rest. There Are some customers that can always find an excuse to leave a small tip - I don’t believe those people have ever affected the service that I’ve received and certain my tipping affects no one but me. It seems presumptuous to think an individuals tipping affects others but You are not the only person that thinks that way. If it would help us reach a better understanding - You can buy me dinner and I will leave a 5% tip ! (Now, that’s a joke - kidding - just as this entire thread has gotten off track and is now humorous....I’m partly at fault for that)..

Agreed with the off track and I'll buy you dinner if we ever get to meet because I do not consider myself cheap :)
Cheers.

Agreed with the off track and I'll buy you dinner if we ever get to meet because I do not consider myself cheap :)
Cheers.
I ACCEPT — I will Never turn down a FREE dinner (I might be cheap?) so if You’re buying then I’M THERE....don’t care if you stiff the entire wait staff and we run out on the check - sounds like I get to eat for FREE. Also, that’s a nice Zebra in your photo and know that Safari wasn’t cheap

In America I tip 20% if server is attentive and food is good. In Africa I tip 10% of total hunt cost and usually give PH 50% of the 10%. Remaining 50% I divide among the tracker and staff. So on a 30k hunt I am tipping 3k

This whole diversion into restaurants is sort of off topic, but I think the hunting part is well covered, so I will play too.

Here in Alberta, restaurant prices have risen by double to triple in just the last 2 years alone. Part of the increase is food prices, but a much, much bigger cause is Skip, Uber and the other delivery services. They take between 35 and 45% of the bill for their services, and charge the end customer a delivery charge too.

If I pick up my own food, I get no discount; if I eat in, I get no discount. Both of these save the restaurant 40% of the bill. On top of that, the delivery orders get priority because there is a penalty if the delivery food is not ready on time. Thus I often end up waiting longer for my order. The restaurants need to charge me more to make up for the money they lose on delivery.

So now, on top of much higher menu prices and slower service, the expected tip has risen from 10%, to 15% and now sits at 20%, with some CC machines suggesting options to as high as 45%. All servers and kitchen staff in Canada are paid minimum wage and make at least $16 and hour. You can't get breakfast here for less than $40 for 2 people. The supper meal that used to cost us $50 for 2, 3 years ago, now costs $140. Expected tip has gone from $5 to $28. Same food, same amount of work to serve, same time in the premises.

For years, restaurants have not generally been well run from a business perspective. It is why so many go broke every year. The fact they will keep paying a huge part, far more than their profit margin, to the delivery services and try to make it up on their in house customers, means I no longer feel sorry for them or the staff.

All cases, zero tip now unless the food and service is truly exceptional. Lots will call me cheap, but long and short, I am not responsible for their atrocious business model. They need to get out of these high cost delivery models and return sanity to their margins and menu prices.

Last edited:
This whole diversion into restaurants is sort of off topic, but I think the hunting part is well covered, so I will play too.

Here in Alberta, restaurant prices have risen by double to triple in just the last 2 years alone. Part of the increase is food prices, but a much, much bigger cause is Skip, Uber and the other delivery services. They take between 35 and 45% of the bill for their services, and charge the end customer a delivery charge too.

If I pick up my own food, I get no discount; if I eat in, I get no discount. Both of these save the restaurant 40% of the bill. On top of that, the delivery orders get priority because there is a penalty if the delivery food is not ready on time. Thus I often end up waiting longer for my order. The restaurants need to charge me more to make up for the money they lose on delivery.

So now, on top of much higher menu prices and slower service, the expected tip has risen from 10%, to 15% and now sits at 20%, with some CC machines suggesting options to as high as 45%. All servers and kitchen staff in Canada are paid minimum wage and make at least $16 and hour. You can't get breakfast here for less than $40 for 2 people. The supper meal that used to cost us $50 for 2, 3 years ago, now costs $140. Expected tip has gone from $5 to $28. Same food, same amount of work to serve, same time in the premises.

For years, restaurants have not generally been well run from a business perspective. It is why so many go broke every year. The fact they will keep paying a huge part, far more than their profit margin, to the delivery services and try to make it up on their in house customers, means I no longer feel sorry for them or the staff.

All cases, zero tip now unless the food and service is truly exceptional. Lots will call me cheap, but long and short, I am not responsible for their atrocious business model. They need to get out of these high cost delivery models and return sanity to their margins and menu prices.
Dean2 you make fine points and I had no idea Canada restaurant prices have risen so sharply. I never use delivery services - and you convince me to remain that way. If I ever do - it’s a pizza delivery and $5.00 is plenty whether he walks 1-2-or 3 pizza up to my door (they always need reheating anyway. When I did work in the Bar & Restaurant business 40 years ago - we use to expect most Bars to be the “hot spot - place to be” would last only a year or two and then the “in crowed” wanted to be somewhere else.
Any Restaurant that lasted for more then a few years MUST have great food, good service, and decent fair prices....at least that’s how it use to be.

Most everywhere in the World restaurants pay their wait staff a living wage and add %10 to the bill for service.
When you tip on top it's for exceptional service and very much appreciated.
Here in US restaurant owners expect you to make up their wait staff wages regardless of the service or quality of food you get.
Now even self service places or coffee shops, fast food started asking up to %20-25 tip.
This is getting ridiculous!

Most everywhere in the World restaurants pay their wait staff a living wage and add %10 to the bill for service.
When you tip on top it's for exceptional service and very much appreciated.
Here in US restaurant owners expect you to make up their wait staff wages regardless of the service or quality of food you get.
Now even self service places or coffee shops, fast food started asking up to %20-25 tip.
This is getting ridiculous!
It always bothers me when people complain that a job doesn't pay "a living wage". Employment is a free exchange agreement between an individual and a company; "I'll pay you $xx/hr or per year, you perform this duty". Fast food and even most restaurants are starting positions, not career jobs, along with a lot of retail clerk positions. If you don't like the job/pay/lack of tips/work conditions, go get a different job. They were never intended as career jobs.
US restaurant owners don't expect me to make up their waitstaff wages, the waitstaff does. But a lot of them don't understand it is conditional upon them providing good to great service. The smart ones figure that out on day 1. The restaurant simply found someone to do the job for the money they would pay.
These other businesses that have started to try and ride the tipping generosity of Americans are irritating, and I don't encourage it by participating/paying a tip. When there's someone to speak to, I usually do express an opinion.

It always bothers me when people complain that a job doesn't pay "a living wage". Employment is a free exchange agreement between an individual and a company; "I'll pay you $xx/hr or per year, you perform this duty". Fast food and even most restaurants are starting positions, not career jobs, along with a lot of retail clerk positions. If you don't like the job/pay/lack of tips/work conditions, go get a different job. They were never intended as career jobs.
US restaurant owners don't expect me to make up their waitstaff wages, the waitstaff does. But a lot of them don't understand it is conditional upon them providing good to great service. The smart ones figure that out on day 1. The restaurant simply found someone to do the job for the money they would pay.
These other businesses that have started to try and ride the tipping generosity of Americans are irritating, and I don't encourage it by participating/paying a tip. When there's someone to speak to, I usually do express an opinion.
I think you don't have much experience about how this works in other developed countries and we're not talking about fast food here where you don't tip anyway.
For most of the wait staff in Europe, Middle East, Asia being a waiter is a career job specially at higher end restaurants where service, food and knowledge of personnel is far superior to what we get here.
I met people working for 30 years in the same restaurant in various countries.
They get paid a decent salary, take pride in their job and don't expect tips to earn a living.
Tips are generally added as %10 service charge to your bill.
When someone tips on top of that, it's really appreciated and shows great appreciation for superior service.
On the contrary most people serving here are between jobs or part time and have a very basic knowledge of what they do and expect everyone to tip regardless.
They don't care because they're here today gone tomorrow.
Service industry as a whole going downhill fast because of that toxic tipping culture in North America and clueless consumers are contributing to it.

those little gestures, combined with a reasonable tip at the end of the hunt ensures quality service throughout the visit, and a very welcomed greeting the next time you return..
Sounds nice and heartwarming, but my trackers after being gifted forgot my name till next time I visited the same place.... ;)

though I have tipped on my trips my take is that the staff after you leave do not care who or where you are from you are just extra income to them. that is all they care about until the next people with cash come into camp that is human nature, it could be years or never if you go back there

though I have tipped on my trips my take is that the staff after you leave do not care who or where you are from you are just extra income to them. that is all they care about until the next people with cash come into camp that is human nature, it could be years or never if you go back there
I agree that the “staff” likely will never remember You, your name, or anything else about you and possible you will not get any better service whether you tip or not —- but you certainly won’t get “worse service”. I’m not sure why a tip is appropriate but believe in most cases that a tip for the staff is “appropriate”. Either because the did something special, extra, or just a basic ‘good job’, or as a charitable act - giving to someone that is in “need”. In my camp in Tanzania I met some of the poorest people ever and they really had very little in terms of “possessions”. I think my tip made more of a difference to their well being then any restaurant waiter I’ve ever tipped....and that is just my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drmamambatu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.