The Ross Arrives!

I actually had my hands on one of these a couple of years ago. My trap team captain inherited it when his dad died. He let one of our teammates play with it and the guy removed the bolt. Chris couldn't figure out how to get it back in the rifle. Asked me to try so I took it home. It took the better part of an hour. He asked me if I was interested in buying it for a few hundred bucks ... with five boxes of original ammo! I'm no gun collector and certainly not one to rip off an acquaintance. I had my safari buddy sell it for him at a gun show. I seem to recall it sold for $1700 Canadian and the ammo sold for almost as much. An interesting gun (straight pull action) and cartridge. WAY WAY ahead of its time. I believe 280 Ross was the first factory cartridge to exceed 3K fps. Savage tried to claim that breakthrough with 250-3000 but apparently their factory loads didn't quite reach 3K.

I actually had my hands on one of these a couple of years ago. My trap team captain inherited it when his dad died. He let one of our teammates play with it and the guy removed the bolt. Chris couldn't figure out how to get it back in the rifle. Asked me to try so I took it home. It took the better part of an hour. He asked me if I was interested in buying it for a few hundred bucks ... with five boxes of original ammo! I'm no gun collector and certainly not one to rip off an acquaintance. I had my safari buddy sell it for him at a gun show. I seem to recall it sold for $1700 Canadian and the ammo sold for almost as much. An interesting gun (straight pull action) and cartridge. WAY WAY ahead of its time. I believe 280 Ross was the first factory cartridge to exceed 3K fps. Savage tried to claim that breakthrough with 250-3000 but apparently their factory loads didn't quite reach 3K.
The Ross cartridge was the first to beat 3000fps, second was one of Neidners, then the 250-3000
gumpy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenjohnson1967

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?