The Perfect Shot by Kevin Robertson

Great advice so far!

You can always wing it and just check the glove boxes of the Land Cruisers in camp for a mini edition:)

I've contributed several by forgetting them;)

Sort of a "pay it forward"! LOL
I will say if you have elephant in your future absolutely nothing comes even close to CMS Hunting Elephand DVD with Buzz narrating… I have not found anything that even comes close to this!!!!

Was in Joburg at the Afton Safari Lodge in March. They had copies of The Practical Shot in the room as a free bee. Might try contacting them for info on where to find copies.
Jody

Mama reads the Perfect Shot like the bible prior to a safari and looks at it daily while we are in country.

Safe hunting

Mama reads the Perfect Shot like the bible prior to a safari and looks at it daily while we are in country.

Safe hunting
@Just Gina does the same. And she currently has ours in Oklahoma stuck under her Dad's face;)

Kevin Robertson is a fun author and extremely knowledgeable in multiple areas. Do yourself a favor and buy any of his books you can get your hands on-give them to friends when they go on their first safaris or keep them as references and entertaining reading-
Veterinarian, PH, Author (terminal ballistics expert by default). He's much more. Also from Zim which was the epitome of African life once upon a time...

Veterinarian, PH, Author (terminal ballistics expert by default). He's much more. Also from Zim which was the epitome of African life once upon a time...
And, sadly, i've had many a gents argument re: bullets (by those selling the latest, greatest) always referencing him (and my own experiences)...ruffling the feathers of commerce! ;) Buyer beware.

eBay also has several copies of “the practical shot” but quite expensive. Would be a fun collection item I would think but not for me.

most expensive book purchased to date (eclipsed by far by other collectors!!!)-Any Shot You Want/Like (Art Alphin-A Sq) $105. lol a bit much, but glad i have it. Safari Press is also rough. Just like college, used is just as good...Q: what's the shipping fees to have your PH send you a copy which you return upon arrival (many live in the US off-season!) LOL ;) Everything since WWII is ALL ABOUT THE MONEY (Not You!)

I have both first editions, but I take the mini with clients as a reference

I really appreciated the data, and perspective shared in Perfect Shot II and kept the mini buffalo field guide with me in the car, work, bathroom, to regularly study the angles and anatomy. I felt much more confident when I arrived in camp and could not imagine headed out without using them. That said it sure seems like lots of folks are showing up with zero study and doing just fine by following the PH's instruction.

Last edited:
The practical shot is a much better book on shot placement
Now I have another book I need to track down. I would really like to see how it deviates from Robertson’s book. Is it written more from a PH’s perspective (I mean more based on typical shooter ability’s/ field conditions)?

I have actually wanted to dig into this, because although Robertson’s Perfect Shot always seems highly regarded, in the field, I have noticed PHs sometimes doing things a little Contrary to Robertson’s suggestions. For example, I intended to dispatch my duikers with high shoulder spinal shot, per Robertson’s suggestions, but was directed otherwise by my PH.

I interpreted this, not as a disagreement with Robertson, but suspected he just had more confidence in his trackers ability to find a duiker in the brush than a client he had just met making a precision shot. Up to that point he had only seen me take one shot at a paper target, so I didn’t take it personal and did as instructed, though I tend to shoot pretty conservatively and really appreciate precision shots.

That said it sure seems like lots of folks are showing up with zero study and doing just fine by following the PH's instruction.
I dont want to brag about my self, but 2 times in a camp, I was acting as a "field guide" to other hunters. Zero preparation and study with average client. Mostly first timers.
I was not pushing, but when question was raised, I would offer my view.

On this forum we promote knowledge, skills, education, books, movies, safari preparation...
My book collection if I sell this for the money I paid, would buy a high end rifle with high end scope.
Not to mention time invested in actual study and reading.

But even in the World of safari hunting, we are minority.

I have impression, majority of clients see the add on internet, gets in touch, buys a package, and goes.
Zero prep. Obviously this way is also doable.

There is a third type of hunter: "shy", zero prep, and zero willingness to go to Africa. Afraid of unknown, so they dont go. They also dont know what they are missing.

I dont want to brag about my self, but 2 times in a camp, I was acting as a "field guide" to other hunters. Zero preparation and study with average client. Mostly first timers.
I was not pushing, but when question was raised, I would offer my view.

On this forum we promote knowledge, skills, education, books, movies, safari preparation...
My book collection if I sell this for the money I paid, would buy a high end rifle with high end scope.
Not to mention time invested in actual study and reading.

But even in the World of safari hunting, we are minority.

I have impression, majority of clients see the add on internet, gets in touch, buys a package, and goes.
Zero prep. Obviously this way is also doable.

There is a third type of hunter: "shy", zero prep, and zero willingness to go to Africa. Afraid of unknown, so they dont go. They also dont know what they are missing.
Interesting take on the subcategories of safari hunters. I see something similar with deer stalkers in the UK.

I have the hardcover 1st and 2nd editions . I regularly review this book. While the anatomy of mammals is largely the same the book helps me think about my shots when animals are at unusual angles . Also anatomical images of animals like crocs also good for selecting shots .
What is the difference between the editions? Which of them do you prefer?

Interesting take on the subcategories of safari hunters. I see something similar with deer stalkers in the UK.
Safari
deer stalking
Bird shooting
target shooting
etc
Or any other activity

People are the same everywhere, there will always be minority of knowledgeable people in community, and great majority will function within their own comfort zone, not pushing their limits, or improving skills, staying within their boundaries.

The pocket edition is great reference

I've been told that before any African safari that I have to purchase The Perfect Shot. ....Which do you recommend and why?
I have learned a lot from Robertson's books. I have "Africa's Most Dangerous," "Perfect Shot II" (hardcover), and "The Perfect Shot: Mini Edition for Africa II." I also give them as gifts. I have "It Shouldn't Happen," which is humorous. I especially enjoyed Robertson's chapter in that book, "Doctari's Theory on Man-Eaters and the Toughness of African Game." His wife, Catherine, wrote "My African Sunrise: From Golden Memories to Dust." It is not about hunting but her experiences growing up in Zimbabwe, how she met Kevin, their experiences together, building their home, the political tragedy of losing their farm and that home...and more.

Laura

The mini edition's buffalo shot placement is a little questionable. Everything else is good; I had no problems with it.

I've been told that before any African safari that I have to purchase The Perfect Shot. After an Amazon search I see 4 options:
1. The Perfect Shot mini-edition
2. The Perfect Shot hardcover
3. The Perfect Shot 2 mini
4. The Perfect Shot 2 hardcover

Which do you recommend and why?
I got a copy of The Perfect Shot 2 mini. It was easy to pack in my carry-on. I found it to be extremely helpful. The first buffalo I shot was before the book was printed, and the bull didn't want to lay down and die. I broke his neck when he was about ten feet from the PH. The shoulder had been broken and a hole in the heart, but it was a little low. The heart is higher in the chest cavity than I had thought. I studied the book before my last buffalo hunt and saw where the heart was positioned. One shot went through the shoulder, the top of the heart, out the side, and then exited the bull. He dove behind a patch of acacia before I could fire another shot. It didn't make Amy difference. He had only made it about 20 yards, and piled up dead.

The funny thing is, after studying the diagrams, I could visualize where the shot should go when I actually saw a buffalo. Some people say that they aren't sure how accurate the diagrams are. I'm thinking that a veterinarian knows exactly where goods are. It's also a good idea to look at the diagrams of other game. The African antelopes tend to have lungs further forward than I was used to with deer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.