"The Last One"

cash_tx

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
I just realized that over the past 14 months, I have bought "the last one" four times already. And there are three local gun shows here next weekend. I might have a problem... ;-)

CustomMauser_2506.jpg

Winchester_Mod70Featherweight.jpg

Ruger_7722.jpg

Interarms_MarkX_308.jpg

Ahhh ... another old Mauser with blonde fore end tip and no checkering. My kinda gun. What caliber?
20230718_174300.jpg

Ahhh ... another old Mauser with blonde fore end tip and no checkering. My kinda gun. What caliber?
View attachment 558007
It is an Interarms Mark X in 308 Winchester that I purchased from another AH member a few months back. The stock is an aftermarket Fajen, and one of the previous owners did a pretty nice job of bedding the action. The finish is a bit glossy for my taste, so I may eventually strip it and refinish it to look a bit more like yours. What caliber is your rifle? I think I recall seeing you post a picture of it not too long ago, correct?

It is an Interarms Mark X in 308 Winchester that I purchased from another AH member a few months back. The stock is an aftermarket Fajen, and one of the previous owners did a pretty nice job of bedding the action. The finish is a bit glossy for my taste, so I may eventually strip it and refinish it to look a bit more like yours. What caliber is your rifle? I think I recall seeing you post a picture of it not too long ago, correct?
It's a 404 Jeffery I built on a military postwar Czech BRNO vz.24 8mm action. Stock was something semifinished I picked up from a retired gun builder a few hours from here. Nothing fancy but something to practice working on for the time being. Turned out better than I expected. The barrel is from Lija in Plains, MT. Dennis Olsen, also in Plains, threaded, reamed, and mounted the barrel. I added a 3-position Model 70 style safety, Timney trigger, new Swift bottom metal, and QDWarne rings. I bedded the action, including adding an internal Weatherby style crossbolt between the box and trigger. The fore end tip is from a block of zebra wood I picked up at a local lumber supply. Metal parts are gone for bluing right now so I was able to finish up the stock that only had a few coats before I left for Africa.

I like Linspeed oil finish. Apply a liberal coat with finger, let it dry a few hours till tacky, then rub it down with paper towel pads. Do this four or five coats, then take finish down to the wood with fine steel wool. Repeat till grain is filled. Then leave the wood in final rubbed state. That will give a deep rich look without the gloss.
20230914_155608.jpg

20230914_155438.jpg

Putting a deposit down on a safari might put a stop to it. Sounds like you need to shift your spending.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrohimotx

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double