The First Landrover

Made my day! I’m glad that the Land Rover corporation wasn’t included in this endeavor. They’ve abandonEd their position of making real off-road vehicles. Ineos’ Grenadier is the modern version of the Defender, and far better suited to support the project.

Thank you Jfet, what a great story. I especially like that it was left mostly as it was, no paint job, etc. Ours is a 1950 model, just two years younger than that, but no rust anywhere. Also original paint, but it still looks really good.

Thank you Jfet, what a great story. I especially like that it was left mostly as it was, no paint job, etc. Ours is a 1950 model, just two years younger than that, but no rust anywhere. Also original paint, but it still looks really good.
As I watched it, you came to mind. You are more than welcome and I am glad you enjoyed the video.

I watched this a couple nights ago and couldn't believe they didn't do a full restoration but I'm glad they didn't. It keeps it more original and speaks to the life it has lead. Perfect for the journey it was taken on.

As an aside, Richard Hammond had a Land Rover which he showed in pieces years ago. I wonder if it's still in that condition.

Seen plenty laying around in paddocks with original paint. The Aluminium body doesn't tend to rust and the paint just fades.

@CBH Australia
That's the only part that survives. The body. The rest is very were prone to rust.
The disadvantage of the aluminium body is it can't be panel beaten you buy a new panel and bolt it on.
The old landy was slow,uncomfortable, bonejarring in SWB, hard on fuel and gutless in the power department. The stud pattern on the rims makes it almost impossible to find in the bush. Top that off with regular breakdown ( sorry unscheduled periodic maintenance).
When they are going they are a good little beast just don't be in a hurry to get anywhere, even out the driveway can be a major hassle.
Bob.
Seen plenty laying around in paddocks with original paint. The Aluminium body doesn't tend to rust and the paint just fades.

@CBH Australia
That's the only part that survives. The body. The rest is very were prone to rust.
The disadvantage of the aluminium body is it can't be panel beaten you buy a new panel and bolt it on.
The old landy was slow,uncomfortable, bonejarring in SWB, hard on fuel and gutless in the power department. The stud pattern on the rims makes it almost impossible to find in the bush. Top that off with regular breakdown ( sorry unscheduled periodic maintenance).
When they are going they are a good little beast just don't be in a hurry to get anywhere, even out the driveway can be a major hassle.
Bob.
Bob, here I sit again in Kariba looking out into the night over our mopani fire listening to the night critters. In the shaddows is the 1954 series 1 that brought us here, through the bush via Tengwe. Fuel consumption good, no oil used, and it was a pleasure to drive all the way. Land Rovers, especially these old ones, require care and attention just as any vintage would, but you find me a 70 year old Nissan that can match this. Come to Harare and I’ll take you on a trip to show you what these little bulldogs can do.

Bob, here I sit again in Kariba looking out into the night over our mopani fire listening to the night critters. In the shaddows is the 1954 series 1 that brought us here, through the bush via Tengwe. Fuel consumption good, no oil used, and it was a pleasure to drive all the way. Land Rovers, especially these old ones, require care and attention just as any vintage would, but you find me a 70 year old Nissan that can match this. Come to Harare and I’ll take you on a trip to show you what these little bulldogs can do.
@Kevin Peacocke
I know they are a capable little vehicle when they are going but in Australia they have no end of problems. Parts are hard to get and finding some one competent to work on them is virtually impossible. In dry climates they may not rust but as soon as they smell water they start to corroded.
It was a Nissan 4x4 that first crossed our Simpson desert from memory. 6 cylinder 4 liter motor, 3 speed main box and 4 speed transfer case . Yes you read correctly. 4 high,4 low, 2 high and 2wd low range. Goes even more places than the land Rover.
You would have trouble taking me for a ride in a landy as I don't fit to well in them at 6 foot 6 inches and 250lbs they are a bit of a squeeze to me.
Bob

@Kevin Peacocke how far is Harare from here? I would pick up a Pithy and take a spin with you. Bob can sit up the back since he weighs 250 pounds.
I don't delve too far into mechanical stuff but I will if I need too.
Even Queen Elizabeth used to service them and there is probably no other car manufacturer that could claim that.
Everything needs maintenance sometimes

@Kevin Peacocke how far is Harare from here? I would pick up a Pithy and take a spin with you. Bob can sit up the back since he weighs 250 pounds.
I don't delve too far into mechanical stuff but I will if I need too.
Even Queen Elizabeth used to service them and there is probably no other car manufacturer that could claim that.
Everything needs maintenance sometimes
Yes, even I need maintenance! From you Harare would be about 8 thousand miles and an ocean away.

She must be out of oil. In my experience a Landy only stops leaking oil when there’s no oil left to leak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fabrizio_vintage

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you