Tanzania vs Zambia?

wildwilderness

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia, South Africa, Greenland, Cameroon, Zimbabwe, Argentina
Which country do you prefer? Say for a buffalo hunt, or maybe an Elephant? With a few plains game as an option.

Do they both have English speakers? Ease of travel? How do they compare- on whatever criteria you want?

My vote would be for Tanzania, being in East Africa opens up a wide variety of sub-species that are unattainable in Southern Africa. Additionally, pairing the species with locations as rich as Masailand and the Selous and being close to iconic landscapes such as Serengeti and Mount Kilimanjaro makes Tanzania my choice. However, Zambia is beautiful in own rights and you could not possibly go wrong picking either!

I’ve hunted both Countries several times, in my opinion Zambia is a better value for a quality hunting and wildlife experience.

My Zambia safari was one of the best hunting experiences I’ve ever had. My first Tanzania hunt will be next year. I’m excited to see a new area. Comparing the countries on buffalo or elephant I think would be incorrect, especially elephant. Zambia offers kafue and black lechwe that can’t be hunted elsewhere and huge sable. Tanzania offers the massailand species that can’t be hunted as easily elsewhere. There’d be a lot of factors to look at determining which is better and I don’t think there’d be an answer comparing the best areas on the hunting with an unlimited budget. Tanzania is generally much more expensive than Zambia though especially on premium plains game, but Zambia seems to have hunting closures every 10 years or so when contracts expire on GMAs. Part of reason I booked my Tanzania hunt aside from wanting to see a new country was because the hunting industry appears very stable there (and stable government too), however I’m limited on what I can afford and could only book the 10 day license with buffalo and limited plains game on license. Taking multiple buffalo on a Tanzania safari is a normal occurrence though. The 10 day license comes with two. I believe the premium licenses come with 3 buffalo.

A 16-day hunt in Tanzania can be a very special experience. I’ve hunted Zambia once (going again in 2025) and it was wonderful, but I really like Tanzania. I’ve hunted 3 different regions of Tanzania and all gave good hunts in very interesting country. A 16-day hunt allows 3 Buffalo and a leopard, as well as much plains game. I’ll be going back to Tanzania a couple more times.

Which country do you prefer? Say for a buffalo hunt, or maybe an Elephant? With a few plains game as an option.

Do they both have English speakers? Ease of travel? How do they compare- on whatever criteria you want?
Its going to be hard to beat hunting around the Luangwa River system. It's natural and just game rich. Im going back there this June. Im on pins and needles can't wait. Got a nice buffalo there in 2021.

But I will add I've never been to Tanzania but its a dream destination.

If your contemplating either one of these countries and it’s only a matter of deciding which one.
Bravo! Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AiWinClubApp

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.