Stuck case extraction

Wyatt Smith

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Today I was reloading some 223 and stuck a case in the sizing die. I figured I would show how I remove stuck cases without special tools so that it may help someone in the future. I’m also open to suggestions if anyone can improve upon my method.
First I unthread and pull the expander ball back as far as I can.
Then I drill and tap the primer pocket to 1/4 20, like this
IMG_6351.jpeg

After that I use a socket for a spacer and thread a bolt into the case like this.
IMG_6352.jpeg

Tighten the bolt with a wrench and it draws the case right out.
Sometimes I have to reinstall the the expander ball and use a nut or longer socket to pull it off the expander ball.

I hope this helps someone, if you can’t muster up the tools and hardware for this job, (I’m on a farm and all the stuff is around) RCBS sell a kit with all the necessary components. I was going to buy one until I saw what it consisted of and decided I could do it with what I had.

From what I remember on the RCBS stuck case removal tool, it is very close to just what you came up with on your own.

I've never had a stuck case such as that, but I did stick a 7mm Rem mag case and tore off the head and belt end of the case to where all that was left in the die was from the belt up.

That took a little bit of thinking on how to get it out. I like you have quite a few tools available along with a tap and die set. I found a tap that fit just right and was able to get some threads started without damaging the die. I had to go to the hardware store to find the proper bolt but I finally got it done.

It has always been said about reloading, it not if you will have a stuck case but when you will have a stuck case.

Put both into a freezer. Preferably one used for long term storage. These are usually held at -10 F vs a refrigerator freezer. When cold, quickly hold the die firmly in a vice and tap the case out using a suitable punch. I've done this in the past, it works sometimes but not always.

Put both into a freezer. Preferably one used for long term storage. These are usually held at -10 F vs a refrigerator freezer. When cold, quickly hold the die firmly in a vice and tap the case out using a suitable punch. I've done this in the past, it works sometimes but not always.
Yes, temperature cycling from hot to cold is a good idea for first attempt and many times proves successful. Warm up the die good and hot with a heat gun, drip small amount of penetrating oil like Kroil on both ends of the case seam with the die then place in coldest freezer for a while. Then either tap out or draw out as @Wyatt Smith posted. No matter what, stuck cases are a real PITA and can damage dies during the extraction process, so proceed with caution. The event is always educational and a reminder for proper use of enough of case lube :):)

Exactly what I did @Wyatt Smith when I was a poor white kid in the wilds of Montana, it was years before I knew there was an actual tool or three that did exactly this! Took an ass beating or two before I learned to return the old man’s socket and tap though.

Exactly what I did @Wyatt Smith when I was a poor white kid in the wilds of Montana, it was years before I knew there was an actual tool or three that did exactly this! Took an ass beating or two before I learned to return the old man’s socket and tap though.
Ass beating are always good for young’ns makes you grow taller. But prevention is worth a pound of cure. A long time ago I stopped trying to resize and expand in one stroke and went to a two stroke procedure. Resized only on the first stroke by removing the decapping and expanding plug rod. On the next stroke replaced the decapping and expanding plug rod and expanded the neck on the down stroke thus the neck created less resistance on the rim/shell holder when withdrawing. Works well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoraLazenb

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.