Stock Work Needed/Recommendations??

Fatback

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I have a LH stock for a Winchester M70. I plan on putting a 270 Win in it that I just recently acquired and the current stock isn’t as nice as I would like.

The deal is the stock I want to use has some nice looking wood but isn’t finished and needs checkering. I would also like to get the current stock re-furnished as well.

I figured if anybody would have recommendations on who could do this type of work it would be y’all. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks

Lots of options out there...

Coles in San Antonio (their main store is in Florida somewhere) has outstanding laser capability (lots of people use them for expensive/fine firearms).. and can do something like a Model 70 for less than $300 I believe (you can spend up to $1K with them if you want custom checkering designed and laser cut into the stock).. I know A LOT of people that have used them and have been super happy.. most are deep into shotgun shooting sports and use Cole do to custom work on their high dollar sporting clays/trap/skeet guns.. .

https://colegun.com/

Another pretty well regarded option is Sherry Abraham in Oregon.. She was Kimbers master checkerer for years before setting up her own shop.. shes very reasonably priced for the quality of work that she does.. I think her turn around time is a little long.. not sure if this is a factor for you or not.. Im pretty sure Sherry does both hand checkering and laser checkering..

Attachments

• Custom Checkering by Sherry Abraham.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 17
Del Whitman in Michigan is excellent. He can do it all from fitting the stock to the finishing work.
dwhitman@centurytel.net

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

Have you handled the b&c stock yet? The newer ones are MUCH nicer than the older blockier ones. I have that same gun and I’ve actually been impressed with the stock on it.

All that being said, I also have an older m70 that has a beat up wooden stock, I was going to order a b&c stock for it then I figured....why not move the b&c stock over and get a McMillan for the extreme weather.

I have a LH stock for a Winchester M70. I plan on putting a 270 Win in it that I just recently acquired and the current stock isn’t as nice as I would like.

The deal is the stock I want to use has some nice looking wood but isn’t finished and needs checkering. I would also like to get the current stock re-furnished as well.

I figured if anybody would have recommendations on who could do this type of work it would be y’all. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks
I have one in North GA I used for my complete Rigby renovation I did with great results. Now he is not fast given he has so much work but his work is outstanding. He is David at Davidscustomgunstocks.com You can look him up if interested.

Thanks for the replies. I’ve now got a few options to check out and consider. Not in a real big hurry, just want it to be nice when it’s done.

Good hand cut checkering is going to run you $600-$800 depending on LPI and whether its a wrap around pattern versus panels. An oil finish to make the wood pop is going to be $300-$500 for mid-grade, a lot more for a "London Finish".

PM me if you want names in the trade that can do this work understanding that's about the costs you'll be quoted.

Good to hear that there are still people out there doing gun work of the quality that is recommended on this site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabe

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg