Still worth buying a 338 WinMag if I own a 375?

I’m part of the certified long range hunting craze for more than a decade so 338’s are a classic
part of that! In the mountain west where I hunt all fall into early winter a 4-700 yard shot is not long range, 7-1100yd is. I’ve hunted elk for more than 50 years with most years multiple tags! A 338 is proper elk caliber!
That said if only talking Africa then a 300WM, 375H&H,and a 416 or 458/470/500 fits. Ammunition if yours gets “lost” can be had for those calibers in most camps! A 375 is really a do everything caliber one rifle that should be owned!
The 338 Lapua, 338 RUM and their wildcats are true long range cartridge. The 338WM more suitable for 50-700yd but better suited cartridge for Africa IMHO,
Bottom line if you don’t hand load and not able or willing to spend time to train for long range then a 338WM and a 375 H&H is a perfect combo. Hope that helps.

I’m part of the certified long range hunting craze for more than a decade so 338’s are a classic
part of that! In the mountain west where I hunt all fall into early winter a 4-700 yard shot is not long range, 7-1100yd is. I’ve hunted elk for more than 50 years with most years multiple tags! A 338 is proper elk caliber!
That said if only talking Africa then a 300WM, 375H&H,and a 416 or 458/470/500 fits. Ammunition if yours gets “lost” can be had for those calibers in most camps! A 375 is really a do everything caliber one rifle that should be owned!
The 338 Lapua, 338 RUM and their wildcats are true long range cartridge. The 338WM more suitable for 50-700yd but better suited cartridge for Africa IMHO,
Bottom line if you don’t hand load and not able or willing to spend time to train for long range then a 338WM and a 375 H&H is a perfect combo. Hope that helps.
1000 yard shots...should be on steel not game.

@Deepfork
What canthe 338 do that the Whelen can't and do it with style and panache.
The whelen can put out a 225gn at ove 2900fps for 4,300fpe or a big 310gn Woodleigh at 2,455fps for 4,000fpe.
Sort of makes the 228 redundant in my book.
Bob
I can't argue that point because I'm not sure "panache" means! :p

I’m a huge fan of the .338 Win mag. I’ve used it to hammer three elk and few deer. I’ve owed a .340 Wby #1 which I wish I still had. My new favorite .338 is the RUM.
I’m going to stir some S..T here: Although I’ve used .308, 30/06 and .300 Wby with great success. in general, if I don’t think the .270 Win / .280 Rem is enough, I usually skip over the .30’s and grab a .338.
IMO, where you aren’t hunting one or two species like in NA, and are hunting wide variety of game that includes DG (Africa), then a .375 is the go to.

Can any of the 35s match the 338 WM Mags downrange ballistics?
@Northern Shooter .
In one simple word YES, and then some.
Bob

I disagree with you here Bob. You have me convinced the Whelen can match or nearly match the .338WM on MV with same weight bullets. BC and Sectional Density are also important especially long range and the .338 bullets are better than the .358 bullets as far as that goes.

That being said you have me intrigued enough I just ordered me something to play with:
35 Whelen Rifle - Lipseys.jpeg

Kind of like this because its a take down and I could get my bow and rifle in the same case, I travel with both.

@Northern Shooter .
In one simple word YES, and then some.
Bob

I disagree with you here Bob. You have me convinced the Whelen can match or nearly match the .338WM on MV with same weight bullets. BC and Sectional Density are also important especially long range and the .338 bullets are better than the .358 bullets as far as that goes.

That being said you have me intrigued enough I just ordered me something to play with:
View attachment 541979

Kind of like this because its a take down and I could get my bow and rifle in the same case, I travel with both.
@Deepfork
My mate Greg had one of those. Great rifle and very accurate. There's a video in you tube of a person using one with 200gn bullets at 3,100fps in a 35 Whelen. Would make one hell of a mess of a deer.
Other bullets that work well in the Whelen are any of the Woodleighs.
I've got some 225gn Woodleigh RNSP loaded to close on 2,900fps to try on pigs. The old 250gr Hornady round nose at 2,700fps punches a golf ball size hole out the other side of a big oryx bull at 120 yards.
Bob

would you pick up a rifle in 338WM if you currently owned a 375?
Elk size game is something comparable to red deer in Europe.
Having similar Idea and concerns for red deer in open plains and longer shots, my way of thinking is to try flatter trajectory in 375 HH with lighter bullets 270 or 235 grain.

I bought 375 for african safari, but adding red deer as option will make it more universal on European hunting grounds

Also for discussions sake, is there anything the 7 RemMag does better than the 338 WinMag?

I have also been considering the 7 RM for the same role (500m+), flat shooting big game hunter.
Yes. You can find factory ammo and brass for it without taking out a loan. LOL Other than that, NOTHING!

@Deepfork
What canthe 338 do that the Whelen can't and do it with style and panache.
The whelen can put out a 225gn at ove 2900fps for 4,300fpe or a big 310gn Woodleigh at 2,455fps for 4,000fpe.
Sort of makes the 228 redundant in my book.
Bob
Bob, is the "228" another one of your wildcats? LOL

IMHO, the only reason one can't use a proper .338 caliber for MOST if not all DG in Africa is because there were no .338 caliber rifles when the ancient African hunting regulations requiring a .375 or larger were written. The bullets back in the day were very marginal at best and I'm sure a lot of wounded animals were the norm of the day. One CAN hunt DG in some African countries today with a bow/crossbow, but not a .338. Go figure? Their minimum caliber with proper muzzle energy needs to be updated in my opinion.

IMHO, the only reason one can't use a proper .338 caliber for MOST if not all DG in Africa is because there were no .338 caliber rifles when the ancient African hunting regulations requiring a .375 or larger were written. The bullets back in the day were very marginal at best and I'm sure a lot of wounded animals were the norm of the day. One CAN hunt DG in some African countries today with a bow/crossbow, but not a .338. Go figure? Their minimum caliber with proper muzzle energy needs to be updated in my opinion.
Also including hot loaded .35 caliber rifle cartridges. There may not have been any .338 or .35 rifles at ALL and/or with appropriate muzzle energy levels when the regulations were written?

Also including hot loaded .35 caliber rifle cartridges. There may not have been any .338 or .35 rifles at ALL and/or with appropriate muzzle energy levels when the regulations were written?
@CoElkHunter
The 350 Rigby was around a long time ago as well as the 35 Newton. Both were highly regarded as big game rifles.
Bob
Bob

@CoElkHunter
NOT HOT LOADED mate just properly loaded to its potential SAFELY.
Bob

I have a .338 Winnie in a Remington Model 700 BDL. It's bloodied my forehead before. Granted, I have an old Redfield Widefield scope on it and not enough eye relief. So, I haven't used it much but have killed a white tail with it. I should probably get a newer VX-5 or similar with some decent eye relief. When I shot my Russian razorback hog, I used a .375 H&H with open sights. But my custom Enfield that I built in .375 Weatherby chrono's a 300gr at 2885 ft/s. I put an A-Square Hannibal stock on it. That stock really does cut the felt recoil way down. The .375 kicks less than the .338, and has a lot more power. I was figuring to only take the .375 Roy to Africa and use it on everything. But I might also bring a .30-06. But, the .338 is a great caliber. You won't go wrong with one.

I have a .338 Winnie in a Remington Model 700 BDL. It's bloodied my forehead before. Granted, I have an old Redfield Widefield scope on it and not enough eye relief. So, I haven't used it much but have killed a white tail with it. I should probably get a newer VX-5 or similar with some decent eye relief. When I shot my Russian razorback hog, I used a .375 H&H with open sights. But my custom Enfield that I built in .375 Weatherby chrono's a 300gr at 2885 ft/s. I put an A-Square Hannibal stock on it. That stock really does cut the felt recoil way down. The .375 kicks less than the .338, and has a lot more power. I was figuring to only take the .375 Roy to Africa and use it on everything. But I might also bring a .30-06. But, the .338 is a great caliber. You won't go wrong with one.
I keep hearing that the 338 and even some 300WM actually kicks harder than the 375s. I'm guessing that comes down to rifle weight and stock design.

And the fact that those 2 magnums recoil back at greater speeds than the 375.

it still seems backwards to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Makoma

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)