South Africa Outfitters and rifle rental

Kind of interesting no one has brought up extra baggage charges. Most airlines charge for more than one bag and you need two for a rifle since ammo can't go in the same piece as the firearm. And those fees aren't cheap going overseas. I do enjoy using my own rifle but from my experience, after four trips with two bags each time (rifle and/or bow for #2) I could have bought a new rifle, bow or had more money for another trophy fee from the second bag charges. And I wasn't charged for my rental rifle when I used one.

Most international flights I’ve been on allowed 2 checked bags, if not with my wife along we usually have an extra bag available.

Kind of interesting no one has brought up extra baggage charges. Most airlines charge for more than one bag and you need two for a rifle since ammo can't go in the same piece as the firearm. And those fees aren't cheap going overseas. I do enjoy using my own rifle but from my experience, after four trips with two bags each time (rifle and/or bow for #2) I could have bought a new rifle, bow or had more money for another trophy fee from the second bag charges. And I wasn't charged for my rental rifle when I used one.

The only place that I know of that the ammo needs to go separate is in South Africa and on my first trip they didn't charge extra. Anywhere else that I have been to the ammo just stays in your checked luggage.

Most international flights I’ve been on allowed 2 checked bags, if not with my wife along we usually have an extra bag available.
Air Namiba didn't charge for #2 in 2013 but did in 2016, and Lufthansa in 2018 got me and a plane full of Ironman competitors with their bikes for over $200 each way I recall. I don't recall this last trip so maybe not in 2021. Airlines aren't getting any kinder or gentler on fees.

I have never not taken my own guns and mostly have wanted my animals to be shipped home. Now I would look at renting and just taking pics. How much hassle and cost have you just removed! Still like my own gun!

I have never been charged for two bags on international flights. Even when flying economy. Maybe one needs to be selective on airline choices.

The only place that I know of that the ammo needs to go separate is in South Africa and on my first trip they didn't charge extra. Anywhere else that I have been to the ammo just stays in your checked luggage.
I agree, it just needs to be in a seperate checked bag. I put it with the bow case, everyone was OK with that. But it's still bag #2.

I have never been charged for two bags on international flights. Even when flying economy. Maybe one needs to be selective on airline choices.
I was. Those were my choices at that time from to and from those destinations. Airlines do what airlines do.

I agree, it just needs to be in a seperate checked bag. I put it with the bow case, everyone was OK with that. But it's still bag #2.

Other than domestic flights in South Africa where do you have to check your ammo separate?

Never been charged for second bag, but I do know airline rules and have firearm rules printed and with me on trips. Saved a few $$ from check in agents who are clueless to their own stated rules. Reason I like cattle class with Ethiopian.

MB

I wasn’t going to show this to anyone, but until a little over a month ago, I had never shot off sticks. So, I went to the range and shot a few rounds off my Bog bipod sticks standing at 100 yards with my Browning .338WM and some old Remington 225gr Core Lokts. I did OK at 100. Then, a guy at the 200 yard range shooting his Ruger #3 .22 Hornet from the bench and invited me over as he saw me shooting from sticks. I shot three rounds from the bench off his adjustable bench gizmo, but it was too low. The orange is 8” round and middle is 4”. I then shot two from my bipod using my scope at 8x. He had a spotting scope and told me my first round was just left of the diamond. I thought he was joking at first. But, my next shot was high and to the right a few inches from the diamond, but still in the orange. He got real excited and showed me the shots through his scope. He and I couldn’t believe it, cause you all know with the wobble of the crosshairs, when they’re centered on the target you squeeze the trigger and hope for the best? I hadn’t shot at 200 yards for some time as most of my elk were taken at less than 100 yards, so I’d never practiced much past that. I hope I can duplicate it off the sticks again in the near future when the weather cooperates.

View attachment 454167
My hunting never requires shooting off sticks so I need to practice some too. The other day I went to my range and cored the bullseye at 85 (max distance on my home range) yards off the sticks With the first shot. I walked back inside and said that’s enough practice for the first day. Lol

Doubt that will be repeatable.

I use a 8” steel plate with a center cut away for a 2” steel center for practice.
image.jpg

My hunting never requires shooting off sticks so I need to practice some too. The other day I went to my range and cored the bullseye at 85 (max distance on my home range) yards off the sticks With the first shot. I walked back inside and said that’s enough practice for the first day. Lol

Doubt that will be repeatable.

I use a 8” steel plate with a center cut away for a 2” steel center for practice.View attachment 454694
Now that the weather is cooperating on my days off from work, I'm going to the range next Wednesday and see if I can hit anything at 200 yards again off my bipod with my .338WM. I MAY even try a couple at 300 off the sticks?

Now that the weather is cooperating on my days off from work, I'm going to the range next Wednesday and see if I can hit anything at 200 yards again off my bipod with my .338WM. I MAY even try a couple at 300 off the sticks?
I tried to go see how much snow was at my shooting location, it looked like a good 2 feet still.

Come on April

Hello,
Are Outfitters who offer rifle rental uncommon?
I do not want to bring my rifle with me.
In looking at a large number of websites not many mention rifle rental.
Are they simply not advertising that option?
Why not take your own rifle? It’s just a little work on the front end and a bit of time in the airport To hunt with your own gun.

I take my own rifles because I really enjoy using them and it is a big part of the fun for me, not because I think I won't have access to something perfectly capable of doing what I need. If you can hit a volleyball at 200 yards with it, you are going to be fine on the vast majority of your shots.
And for me, no one has a better rifle and scope than me! Blaser R8 with Swaro Z8 scope. Not to mention the double….

I simply look at what I’ve invested in my rifles. Having them bounce around the world earning frequent flier miles doesn’t do much for me, especially considering who’s going to have access to it and handle it.
I’d rather spend a couple hundred bucks and leave mine stateside safe & sound.
Now, I get some of you have never had issues and I can appreciate that. I just know my luck.
I’ve been all over the world and I’ve never had a problem. For me it ruins the experience of getting ready for safari.

I’ve always felt it was good to practice about 100 to 150 yards farther than I plan to shoot game, just a comfort thing for me as I stick to my self imposed limits.
Yes or 300 yards more.

I think it would be nice to use your own rifles as part of the experience and include them in the photos etc.
If you are comfortable with what you have and you want to use it great.
If you are worried, don't take it, no stress, no hassle just enjoy the trip.

I rented a rifle on my first safari. It was a 50 year old Musgrave mauser in 308 that had been fired about 4000 times. It did have lynx mounts and Nicco Sterling on it. I paid $400 to rent the rifle and ammo for 10 days. Fired 26 rounds total.

Concur about finding out what the rental rifle is before you get on the plane.

I have seen Heym Sr21's with new Swarovski scopes, and Savage 110's with 4x blister pack tascos.

It is worth taking a rifle if you can manage it.

A camp I heard about in Zimbabwe had 10 or 15 Dakotas with Swarovskis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vonfergus

Latest profile posts

Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!