AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC, NRA
Hunted
EasternCape, RSA. Freestate, RSA. Coutada10, Mozambique. Namibia. Hungary. Poland. New Zealand. BC., Canada. Alaska, USA. Western States, USA,
My brother Rob and I are just back from our second safari this summer, this time to South Africa, hunting with Jannie Otto Safaris in the Freestate.

It was an incredible trip to an incredibly beautiful place.
Ten days living, eating, hunting, talking, and learning with some really interesting PH's and farm owners.
Jakkie, Hine, Vella, and Conrad, our hosts, ranch managers, and PH's were hard working, knowing and admirable men, not only in the hunting arena, and in rifles and shooting, but also in the history and nature of their area and the convoluted politics of modern SA.
We never lacked for interesting conversation in camp or in the field.

We hunted at two different camps.
The first, Donkerkloof, ("Dark Canyon" in Afrikaans) was steep and beautiful with a central river gorge and the tall blue gray surrounding cliffs that create the canyon and give it it's name. Accommodation was a modern lodge with attached chalets.
It had been a tough winter, and you could see it in the weight and hide condition of some of the animals, but my brother and I both killed nice Cape Kudu here, at relatively short range, in the thick, after good stalks.
Rob also took his bucket list animal, an ancient Eland bull, and I took an excellent Blesbuck, hunting as a human "pack", with Rob and Jakkie making their presence known in the distance to push the herd towards me and PH Vela, after we positioned ourselves on our best guess as to their travel path to a large pond. This was a longish shot for me off the sticks... at about 270 yards. Primal and satisfying. Humans probably hunted this way thousands of years ago.

After three days we moved about 30 miles up the road to Sandy Mount, an enormous property of nearly 50,000 acres of varied and beautiful hill country, open plain, and high rocky stuff. The accommodation here was a turn of the century farmhouse converted & expanded upon to become a hunting lodge in the grandest tradition. All wood and stone, it was old world luxury like something out of a movie about the Golden Age of African hunting.
We lived the life of Col. Teddy, and Hemingway, Ruark and Capstick.
Here there were Buffalo, and all manner of plains game.
We were after Nyala, Red Hartebeest, Blue Wildebeest, and Impala.
Comfortable lodge or no, the hunting here was satisfyingly hard.
The step counter thingamajig on my phone showed six, eight, and ten miles a day walk and stalks.
Steep country. Days of bad wind. Some rain. Busted stalks.
We earned what animals we took here, and there were days when we didn't win.

On top of that, while Rob took a beautiful Nyala, and a Blue Wildebeest, I was in a slump.
I made a bad range call, fumbled the sticks once, and bounced a round off some brush too close to my muzzle.
My last four days were spent trying for one of the really ancient Red Hartebeest bulls we had seen.
Tough days mentally and physically, in worsening weather, trying for that particular animal... and trying to get my shooting mojo back.

And then there was an amazing day.... the final day.... so hard, and so good, and so redeeming for all involved, that when I finally put down that ancient battle-scarred Hartebeest, four grown men were hugging each other, and thanking god and running our hands over this magnificent animal and I actually teared up and had to just lay on the ground in total elated emotional exhaustion.

All in all, with the lodge and the food and the country and the animals and the people, this was a near perfect safari with not a single negative and in the end it provided what may be the single best hunting day I have ever experienced.

Bros.JPG
Glassing.JPG
Donkerkloof Canyon.jpeg
Sundowners.jpeg
Sundowners2.jpeg
WinkaBlesbuck.jpeg
WinkabrosnWildebeest.jpeg
WinkaKudu2.JPG
RobaNyala2.JPG
RobaEland2.JPG
Trust the Science.jpeg
WinkaHartebeest3.jpeg
RobaKudu2.JPG
Canyon Lunch.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats for a great hunt, and thanks for shaing !

Looks like a great time was had by all! Congrats!

congratulations! The hunts that you have to work for are the most satisfying. When ever you look at the old warrior of a Hartebeest on your wall it will bring you back to the sights, sounds and smells of the day and you will be able to honor him every time.

Congratulations on a successful safari. Thanks for posting.

Absolutely awesome hunt. Congratulations on all, especially that battle scarred hartebeest. Thank you for sharing. A great write up.

congratulations! The hunts that you have to work for are the most satisfying. When ever you look at the old warrior of a Hartebeest on your wall it will bring you back to the sights, sounds and smells of the day and you will be able to honor him every time.
Absolutely !
Could not agree more.
A hard hunt is always the one to be remembered.
This one even more so due to the previous couple of days.
No matter your level of proficiency or how far a long you are in this game, or how long it's been since the last time, you can still mess up. And I did.
It's not a good feeling to struggle in front of an audience.
That last day was a redemption as much as it was a hunt.
Like I said, I thanked these men, and we thanked that hartebeest and our God... and we meant it.

Nice animals! Looks & sounds like a memorable trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GennieHowe

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.