SOUTH AFRICA: Has Anyone Hunted With Aloeafrica? Plus Some Newbie Questions

wildfowler.250

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi folks,

I’m looking into booking a trip to SA probably 2 years ahead,(got a lot on next year). I’m keen on the above outfitter and was wondering if anyone on here has hunted with them?

My other question if possible is, how much is dip and pack/shipping and how long does it tend to take to reach home? There’s a possible trophy import ban into the uk,(I’m only after plains game) and it may be safer to have them done here. I think the taxidermy fees are probably cheaper if done in Africa though.

Thanks for the help!

I have never heard of them. Dosent mean they might not be a good outfit..... Any particular reason you are looking at them? You should take a look at the Sponsor Outfitters here on AH also.

Your taxidermy and shipping questions are a big topic. You should do some research here in the taxidermy threads. There is lots of info available, options and unknowns ....as you will see.

Good luck with your research

I have never heard of them. Dosent mean they might not be a good outfit..... Any particular reason you are looking at them? You should take a look at the Sponsor Outfitters here on AH also.

Your taxidermy and shipping questions are a big topic. You should do some research here in the taxidermy threads. There is lots of info available, options and unknowns ....as you will see.

Good luck with your research

I’ve had really good feedback from one uk hunter. I’m slightly surprised how little feedback I can find on here though. Did find one older post from 2015 but that was it.

Basically I’m after a really good hike / spot and stalk. The less from the vehicle the better.

Yep the dip and ship is slightly daunting in itself!

I’ve seen several good reports about them on another forum. For the dip and pack, I’d recommend you ask them what taxidermy they use then that taxidermy can send you a dip and pack price list so there is no guessing. For a rough estimate use $150 US per animal for skull and cape.

I’ve seen several good reports about them on another forum. For the dip and pack, I’d recommend you ask them what taxidermy they use then that taxidermy can send you a dip and pack price list so there is no guessing. For a rough estimate use $150 US per animal for skull and cape.

Thanks, great idea!

Can you let me know which forum that was on? PM me if you’d prefer. Thanks again for the help!

I’m slightly surprised how little feedback I can find on here though.
Because hunters mostly report on hunts they made with sponsors here. Rarely reporting for outfits that are not sponosrs on this site

Because hunters mostly report on hunts they made with sponsors here. Rarely reporting for outfits that are not sponosrs on this site

That’s a shame. It’s always really helpful to get some feedback when you’re travelling so far for a trip. Realistically it’ll be a one off,(well for maybe at least a good 10-15 years) so want to get it right

That’s a shame. It’s always really helpful to get some feedback when you’re travelling so far for a trip. Realistically it’ll be a one off,(well for maybe at least a good 10-15 years) so want to get it right
There are lots of good outfits that sponsor on AH and have been vetted multiple times with lots of hunting reports from folks all over the world including the UK. I would recommend that start your search here on AH and talk to some of the outfitters with lots of feedback

Basically I’m after a really good hike / spot and stalk. The less from the vehicle the better.
Ask them which of their properties your desired species are on. How large are those properties and what is the terrain.
That will help you determine if they are a fit for you.

depends how you look at it.
People on the forum will most likely take service of outfitter member and sponsor of the forum who is also pretty much vetted during his time here.
This outfitters sponsors also actively participate in discussions and this in turn builds the trust within our small community.

On the other hand, the way how I see: outfitters not members on this forum can also be checked.
The way how to do it, is many times described here. Clients due diligence

Contact the outfitter and ask for references, then contact his references and ask questions. There is some thread here of how to ask questions, and what to ask.
So, even for those outfitters not members here, there is a way.

Good indication (but not the rule) is when unknown outfitter or PH is member of some organisations, like national PH organisations, SCI, DSC etc. This is indication that he is already working within some standard of quality. Not a rule, but indication.
Then check the references, and make your opinion. With good diligence, 99% chance is that everything will be ok.

Then there is a word of mouth.
Some of your friends went hunting somewhere, and you know that you have similar preferences. If he puts a good word for some outfitter, you can trust first hand info from such person, etc

I’ve had really good feedback from one uk hunter. I’m slightly surprised how little feedback I can find on here though. Did find one older post from 2015 but that was it.

Yep the dip and ship is slightly daunting in itself!
Feed back from one hunter may not be enough. Please do your research. There are literally thousands of outfitters of various stripes. Ask about the acreage they hunt. If you don't get a straight answer move on. Just a thought.

There are lots of good outfits that sponsor on AH and have been vetted multiple times with lots of hunting reports from folks all over the world including the UK. I would recommend that start your search here on AH and talk to some of the outfitters with lots of feedback

Thanks, am I right in thinking KMG and Game4Africa?
Ask them which of their properties your desired species are on. How large are those properties and what is the terrain.
That will help you determine if they are a fit for you.

Yes I got decent feedback from them. They’d two areas. I was leaning more to Limpopo but they said I’d be better in Kwazulu Natal. To me, I’m less fussed on area and more on the fair chase aspect.

depends how you look at it.
People on the forum will most likely take service of outfitter member and sponsor of the forum who is also pretty much vetted during his time here.
This outfitters sponsors also actively participate in discussions and this in turn builds the trust within our small community.

On the other hand, the way how I see: outfitters not members on this forum can also be checked.
The way how to do it, is many times described here. Clients due diligence

Contact the outfitter and ask for references, then contact his references and ask questions. There is some thread here of how to ask questions, and what to ask.
So, even for those outfitters not members here, there is a way.

Good indication (but not the rule) is when unknown outfitter or PH is member of some organisations, like national PH organisations, SCI, DSC etc. This is indication that he is already working within some standard of quality. Not a rule, but indication.
Then check the references, and make your opinion. With good diligence, 99% chance is that everything will be ok.

Then there is a word of mouth.
Some of your friends went hunting somewhere, and you know that you have similar preferences. If he puts a good word for some outfitter, you can trust first hand info from such person, etc

Thanks! In many ways , it does make sense to pick someone off here with 100 reviews. I’m a cautious person and my head leans me that way as well.

The outfitter did offer references without me asking. I can follow them up ,(and probably will). I assume they will all be good though if the outfitter is suggesting them.

The chap I know that has shot with them has also given me a few names.

I think the difficulty is , so few folk in the uk hunt abroad that it’s difficult to get first hand refs. I know of two folk through social media and they’ve both gone to different outfitters. It’s just trying to find enough feedback to make you comfortable with booking but I was expecting a little more on here but maybe the site sponsors offer good deals and vetted as you say!

Feed back from one hunter may not be enough. Please do your research. There are literally thousands of outfitters of various stripes. Ask about the acreage they hunt. If you don't get a straight answer move on. Just a thought.

Yeah they’ve been back to me about that. Recommended one area over another. Has an area size X and various farms if free range is wanted.

They seem very nice legit but I was hoping to find more write ups

we hunted with them last year for our first Safari, great time and introduction to hunting . Would certainly visit them again. Happy to provide further details. Off to Namibia next month!..caught the bug!!

Hi folks,

I’m looking into booking a trip to SA probably 2 years ahead,(got a lot on next year). I’m keen on the above outfitter and was wondering if anyone on here has hunted with them?

My other question if possible is, how much is dip and pack/shipping and how long does it tend to take to reach home? There’s a possible trophy import ban into the uk,(I’m only after plains game) and it may be safer to have them done here. I think the taxidermy fees are probably cheaper if done in Africa though.

Thanks for the help!
would be more than happy to give a reference, we did a cull Safari, so cant help on taxidermy costs, saved that with a view to going again!

My wife and I are booked to hunt with Yogi June 2-15, 2024.

I’ll provide a detailed report/review upon our return, but I don’t expect any disappointment. I met Yogi in Niassa and really enjoyed his presence in camp. He’s honest, personable, a great naturalist, and a good hunter.

We talked at length about the free-range opportunities in KZN for endemics like nyala, bushbuck, kudu, and reedbuck. We’ll hunt a week in KZN searching for an extra special nyala and then a week in Limpopo for whatever catches our eye.

I’ll provide a detailed report/review upon our return, but I don’t expect any disappointment. I met Yogi in Niassa and really enjoyed his presence in camp. He’s honest, personable, a great naturalist, and a good hunter.

We talked at length about the free-range opportunities in KZN for endemics like nyala, bushbuck, kudu, and reedbuck. We’ll hunt a week in KZN searching for an extra special nyala and then a week in Limpopo for whatever catches our eye.
Very jealous and wish you a great trip. Whilst I have not hunted with Yogi, enjoyed some time with him whilst at KZN and also for the 4hr trip to JBG!

Good to hear it! just did a rough google and 10 hours drive between the two areas. KZN ticked more boxes for species but Limpopo seems like nice scenery and from what I’ve heard, more up close tracking

I have been in camp with Yogi. He guided my friend’s family. He is a hoot and drives too fast. Lol. He was working for another guy at the time. I believe he was raised in the KZN area. If you’re looking for free range walk all you want spot and stalk, give Phillip Hennings a call at Khomas Highlands Safari. I was supposed to be leaving today for 2 weeks there. Health reasons caused us to postpone to May.

@
Hi folks,

Thanks for the help
Jurgens (Yogi) is a hell of a PH. He's on the "younger" side, around 35 and as some other posters have said, he is from the KZN area, around Dundee. He has roughly 180,000 acres of free-range acces in the area too. I am currently hunting in the area nearby as I type this and may be meeting up with Yogi on Friday as he is friends with the PH I am currently with.
As for the animals you'll be taking in the area. It produces great Eland, Nyala, Zululand mountain Kudu (they tend to have smaller bodies than kudu that are in lower topographical areas).
Attached are some animals I've taken in the past few days. It can be a hard hunt area, but if you don't mind some hard graft and work, can reap some beautiful trophy rewards.
You are in safe and very knowledgeable hands with Yogi and AloeAfrica.

Feel free to message me and I can get you in touch with him personally if you haven't already been.

Adam

20230801_102236.jpg
IMG-20230729-WA0010.jpg
IMG-20230729-WA0015.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been in camp with Yogi. He guided my friend’s family. He is a hoot and drives too fast. Lol. He was working for another guy at the time. I believe he was raised in the KZN area. If you’re looking for free range walk all you want spot and stalk, give Phillip Hennings a call at Khomas Highlands Safari. I was supposed to be leaving today for 2 weeks there. Health reasons caused us to postpone to May.

Sorry to hear that! Good to know they’re good guys though. Several people have spoken highly of him. And thanks for the alternative outfitter suggestion as well!

@

Jurgens (Yogi) is a hell of a PH. He's on the "younger" side, around 35 and as some other posters have said, he is from the KZN area, around Dundee. He has roughly 180,000 acres of free-range acces in the area too. I am currently hunting in the area nearby as I type this and may be meeting up with Yogi on Friday as he is friends with the PH I am currently with.
As for the animals you'll be taking in the area. It produces great Eland, Nyala, Zululand mountain Kudu (they tend to have smaller bodies than kudu that are in lower topographical areas).
Attached are some animals I've taken in the past few days. It can be a hard hunt area, but if you don't mind some hard graft and work, can reap some beautiful trophy rewards.
You are in safe and very knowledgeable hands with Yogi and AloeAfrica.

Feel free to message me and I can get you in touch with him personally if you haven't already been.

Adam

View attachment 548825View attachment 548826View attachment 548827

Thanks Adam. I’m after a hard hunt, lasts far longer in the memory. They’re great animals!

My main bucket list is kudu, nyala, springbok and impala. Probably add on one other either a wildebeest or zebra. Head says wildebeest euro mount to keep costs down, heart says zebra for something fairly iconic,(but I’d probably want a pedestal over a rug).

I didn’t realize the kudu were smaller,(not necessarily a problem). I assume smaller antlers to match the smaller body size?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GladisFvo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!