SOUTH AFRICA: Gizmo Family's African Safari Hunt

Dammit, I told Andri Sheep with lipstick, not Goat with tennis balls!

Love the story Erik! Feel for you on M'Bogo!
Cody

Dammit, I told Andri Sheep with lipstick, not Goat with tennis balls!

Love the story Erik! Feel for you on M'Bogo!
Cody
Thanks Cody.
I got pretty tickled when he asked me what the deal with sheep with lipstick was. Lmfao

Gizmo I have enjoyed your writing a lot and was in SA last September and one day we stopped at Tambote Floodlands to look for a Red Hartebeest and when we were leaving we stopped by one of the buildings and this guy was there. My PH said he was getting to old because he was starting to get pushy.
I don't know what happened to him but in nine months it could have been this old then.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Gizmo I have enjoyed your writing a lot and was in SA last September and one day we stopped at Tambote Floodlands to look for a Red Hartebeest and when we were leaving we stopped by one of the buildings and this guy was there. My PH said he was getting to old because he was starting to get pushy.
I don't know what happened to him but in nine months it could have been this old then.View attachment 45285View attachment 45286
How bout that!!!! It's Fred's cousin, Alfred!!!!!

(y)(y)I have not even finished the first page Gizmo and this is like a J. Frank Dobie story about Texans on the frontier in the 1840's having to deal with Commanche Indians. Both are gal lent foes

Sorry to hear about these bullet failures.

Like others have said, Hornady has done a lot for shooters/hunters over the years...but I would never use their DGS or DGX to hunt DG.

For the inquiring minds who want to know the Batch # for the Hornady dgx is 82665. For the dgs it is 82666.

The next day we woke and drove to Alicedale. We saw some beautiful scenery and many colonial towns along the way. I very much enjoyed the drive. By the time we were about two hours out we were all pretty slap happy, we passed time by singing and dancing to the tunes on my iPhone play list. I pretty sure Andri was ready to kick us out of the car by the time it was all over. The drive took longer than expected because we stopped several times to check a few things out and mess around in some of the towns. Once we arrived in Alicedale it was too late to hunt but a nice surprise was waiting on us at Andri’s house. Beans @Tootabi Valley Safaris met us at Andri’s as he only lives about ten minutes away. In no time at all we were laughing and cutting up like we had known each other for years. Beans is a great guy and also a fan of rum and coke. I’m pretty sure we secured Captain Morgan’s future in the rum business for a few more years anyway. I’m sure Beans was cussing me the next day, as he had to get up early to leave for Mozambique to meet clients, if he was half as hung over as I was the next morning. I greatly enjoyed getting to meet him and next time I plan on making my schedule so that he can hunt with us too.

The first morning in Alicedale brought wind and overnight rains. It wasn’t exactly perfect kudu hunting weather but ya can’t kill them from the house. Between what Andri owns and what he has access to there is tens of thousands upon tens of thousands of acres. We had the good fortune to cover a lot of ground during this trip. My son was up to bat and he wanted a nice Eastern Cape kudu so bad he couldn’t stand it. About 15 min from Andri’s was a beautiful valley, different from the Tootabi valley he lives in, and we would spend the morning glassing for kudu. We saw several bulls and cows but all the bulls were a bit young yet. In addition to kudu we saw ostrich, giraffe, eland, impala, and some baboons. The giraffe were breathtaking and I actually got the green light to shoot one from my wife on my next trip!!! Several stalks were made on various bulls but Andri wanted to hold off on the trigger as he felt we could do much better. I learned long ago if your outfitter tells you we can do better it’s best to listen. Little Gizmo was fine with this and was just enjoying the hunt and scenery. Though he is only 13 he’s been hunting since he was about 5 so he knows the drill. We left this area, had some lunch, and drove to another property to hunt Zebra for my daughter. As we arrived a herd of zebra were not 200 yards from the road and a big stallion was in the front. Ah but what luck! After a Chinese fire drill Mrs. Gizmo, my daughter, and Andri jumped up top of the high rack along with Pierre. Gizmo Jr and I stayed in the cab and one of the trackers jumped in the driver seat. I really wanted Mrs. Gizmo to get in on the hunt as she had contemplated trying to take a zebra of her own. She had the best seat in the house next to my daughter and we were joking telling her she was to be the ph for this hunt. With some careful maneuvering and after bumping the big stallion once mini Gizmette had a hundred yard broadside shot. She, like my son, has been shooting and hunting since she was little and absolutely flattened the Zebra with one shot. He ran about 40 yards and fell dead as a hammer. Now, my daughter has wanted to hunt a Zebra since she was knee high to a grasshopper and it was truly a dream come true for her. I have never seen her so happy and excited about anything. It’s the only time I have ever seen her completely speechless and the smile on her face said it all. After the pictures were taken we loaded the big stud up onto the bakkie and took him to the skinning shed. Mini Gizmette had a great time rooting through various Zebra parts as they dressed him out. She wants to be a large animal vet when she grows up and has been in veterinary classes for several years now along with working in local vet offices for extra experience. She had quite a good time educating us on the digestive system of the Zebra and pointing out all the various organs and what their function is. As we were all receiving Zebra anatomy 101 Andri came up to me and said a very nice impala ram was seen on a field about half a mile or so away just below the hill the skinning facilities were located. Now I had mentioned that I was very interested in a nice ram if the opportunity presented itself. It seemed opportunity was knocking so Andri, Pierre, and I set out after him.

Attachments

• AFRICA 275.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 213
  • AFRICA 331.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 193
  • AFRICA 342.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 167
  • AFRICA 351.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 190
  • AFRICA 373.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 186
  • AFRICA 379.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 202
  • AFRICA 393.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 164
  • AFRICA 395.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 170
  • AFRICA 428.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 181
Sorry about the way the pics are attached, for what ever reason it won't let me put them into the story like the others. These were taken with my wife's camera sooo, idk if its a difference in the files or what.

More! Need more! I keep checking back to see if there are more updates to this great report! It made my Friday stuck in the office fly by!

We walked down on the edge of a point so that the field was below us. The field was about 20 acres in size and had a tree line through the center of it going all but about 80 yards across. On our side of the field was a herd of Bontebok. What beautiful animals they are. Their eyesight is amazing and they no doubt spotted us even from our elevated position. I could hear them blowing in distrust, which had all the animals on alert. Just behind them was a small group of Nyala which consisted of two young bulls and a few cows. Nyala are absolutely stunning and are very high on the list for my next trip to SA. Spread throughout the field on the other side of the tree row was an entire herd of impala with a large ram in the group. I could see his horns gleaming in the sun even without binoculars. As I glassed him I was struck by how absolutely blessed we were to be right here in this moment. This picture will forever be engrained in my soul. The weather was perfect and in the late evening sunlight it looked like a painting lying below my feet. The wind was a bit tricky and the best thing would have been to go directly at the tree line using it as cover to cover us as we stalked in. Due to the Bontebok this wouldn’t be possible. They were on edge and had all the others on edge as well. The ram was about 400 yards and from the elevated position, proned out, I felt very confident I could make the shot at that range. The problem was there were so many animals in the field moving about and I would have to shoot through a bit of a break in the tree tops I didn’t feel that it would be an ethical shot to take. The distance was manageable but there were just too many other variables at play. We formulated a game plan to make a big loop around, go off the hill, and use the tree line and hedge row as cover to get within about two hundred yards. The Bontebok would spook and run everything off the field but for whatever reason the impala really wanted to be there so would come right back out. It took a pretty good hike to get to where we wanted to be. As we snuck under the hedges the impala had moved all the way down the field and around the corner. We used the tree row as cover and ever so cautiously tried to sneak into position. We made it about 100 yards and they busted us. Andri took off at a half run and Pierre and I followed. The impala made a big loop around and were now running across the other side of the field to our left at about 180 yards. I kicked the legs on my bipod out and hit the ground. The big rams was at the back. I got him in the scope but Andri told me to wait. “He’ll stop just be ready”, he said. Not two seconds later the ram locked up the breaks broadside to look. I clicked the safety on my Ruger American 270 off and sent a 130 grain Federal Power Shock down range. I never heard the report of the rifle but a thunderous WHACK rang against the evening air. The impala jumped and bucked as he took off into a death run. I reloaded and just as I got back on him his front end went out from underneath him. As he went down his horns caught in the soft earth and stuck causing him to do a complete front flip. No follow up shot needed, he was done. We all jumped up to our feet and the celebratory handshakes and back slaps commenced. We walked across the field and found my ram and what a gorgeous ram he was. The trackers had heard the shot and we moved the ram to the edge of the road for a photo shoot. The perfect ending to the perfect day. Once back up at the skinning shed we cut the back straps out of the impala and zebra for a well-deserved dinner celebration. Back at Andri’s we enjoyed the fruits of our labor and had a few shots of the “Bushman’s Ass” concoction Andri had for such occasions. I have no idea what it is but I do know it is awfully stout and would probably do well if one needed to clean engine parts. It was a wonderful night and we ate, drank, and relived the events of the day.

Attachments

• AFRICA 413.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 175
  • AFRICA 446.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 183
  • AFRICA 447.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 156
  • AFRICA 449.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 172
  • AFRICA 459.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 178
Gizmo,
Great writing, keep it coming! Nice ram and a beautiful Zebra, your daughter looked quite pleased. At least one zebra is on my hit list in September. Thanks for the report and photos.
Mike

We woke early and headed out to hunt springbok. It may just be me springbok remind me a bit of American pronghorn and are hunted in a similar fashion. Much like pronghorn they have an uncanny ability to blend into the surrounding terrain without a stitch of cover to be found. Hunting open areas like where springbok are found is quite challenging and a lot of fun. We glassed several different groups and found a really nice ram. Springbok was another animal high on my son’s wish list and he was loving every second of it. The property we were on was wide open terrain and very hilly. It was next to impossible to get close so it was definitely to be a distance game. There was one small patch of brush maybe 5 acres in size and the ram ran right for it. We made our way to the other side as Andri said he wouldn’t stay in there for long as springbok prefer more open terrain. Sure enough as we made our way around he came trotting out about three hundred yards away heading for another group off to our left. Another ram greeted him as he approached the group and the two started fighting. It was wonderful to watch them spar with each other; this also gave us an opportunity to close the gap a bit. At about 170 yards that was as close as we were going to get and the group started to get nervous. My son settled the cross hairs on this magnificent ram and let the air out of him. With a boom the ram buckled and was dead before he hit the ground to a very well placed high shoulder shot. Gizmo Jr -1 springbok -0. I was so proud; he showed patience and skill well beyond his years. When we walked up to the ram he was twice as big as we had thought, just a magnificent Eastern Cape ram! His hair had already let down but Andri and I told my son to kneel down and smell his back. My son was amazed at the smell of what I can only describe as fresh baked bread. My wife and daughter were convinced we were making this up. They cautiously came over and smelled. They were amazed at the pleasant aroma.

Now by this time I was dying to try my luck for one. Springbok wasn’t something I had intended on taking but I was beside myself now and couldn’t stand it. I looked at Andri and asked if he was ready for another one. He smiled and said let’s go! We loaded the Springbok up in the bakkie and struck out for another one. It wasn’t 10 min later and we found another good ram. We had him broadside at 320 yards. I’m not sure what I was thinking but I settled the cross hairs just over his back and shot right over him, clean miss. I had it in my head that the bullet was going to drop more than it did. Now I felt kinda dumb, a mistake I should have known better to make. The Springbok wasn’t sticking around to see what was going to happen next and he took off over the hill. As I sat there feeling like a heel he came out the other side of the hill. Andri got my attention and pointed him out to me. It seems I was to have a second chance. We made our way over and got to 271 yards. I wasn’t going to make the same mistake twice. I held dead on at the top of his shoulder and squeezed. At the shot he spun like a top, ran about 20 yards, and fell. Two Springbok down in about 30 minutes! I was beside myself with excitement. This time we made it over in time to see his hair on his back stand up. It was an amazing sight and I feel quite blessed we were able to enjoy it. What a fun hunt it was and I feel it won’t be the last Springbok I hunt. I really enjoyed the challenge of the terrain and the distance. My ram was a very nice ram but was dwarfed by my son’s. He was giving me a hard time about it but I couldn’t have been happier and I really enjoy it when my kid’s one up me at something. That is a proud moment in any father’s life and a bit of a passing of a torch.
image.jpg
image.jpg
This Springbok hunt was to be one of the most memorable of my entire life and I thank God for the opportunity to have done it. That was a truly special moment and there is nowhere on earth I would have rather been right then.

With mission accomplished on Springbok it was time for my son to sort out the ever illusive voodoo kudu.

Last edited:
We headed out to a new area for Kudu. There was a particular spot where the farmers would dump oranges that didn’t quite make the cut for sale. Andri told us that Kudu would come from miles in the surrounding hills to feast on these oranges. It was about an hour the other side of Addo and we would stop for lunch along the way at the Overlook. What a beautiful place that was. The deck of the restaurant overlooked orange and pineapple fields that sat in the bottom of a beautiful valley. A small live creek ran through the bottom and never in a million years will I ever see somewhere half as beautiful as this place. We sat on the deck and soaked in the scenery as we ate lunch. The food was wonderful and we all had a good time giving Pierre hell over his liberal use of ketchup, or tomato sauce as it’s referred to in SA. I’ve never really liked ketchup but Pierre loved it. Every meal he had to have some food with his heaping pile of tomato sauce. I’m glad someone likes it but the ketchup companies of the world would go out of business if it were left up to my palate.

We had some time to kill before we needed to go to the kudu honey hole. We spent a little while at a local orange farm which we very much enjoyed. It was a picturesque place with some colonial buildings nestled into the ripe orange fields. I was just in awe of the beauty of this part of South Africa. I spent quite a bit of time just soaking in the scenery and trying to eat up every last second of our time there. The place was abuzz with workers doing various tasks and the rest of the world seemed to melt away. This was another moment I felt blessed just to be standing where I was. The time to leave came too soon but after all, my son had a date with a kudu. We hopped back into the bakkie and about an hour later we pulled into another ranch just in time to meet the land owner. He was a very nice man and gave us some tips on where we may find a few kudu hanging out until it was time to set up over the oranges. We struck out and my son had his game face on. He is a very easy going and laid back kid but he takes his hunting and shooting very seriously. I could tell there would be a kudu bull in real trouble if it wasn’t careful. We drove to a very thick part of the ranch and saw some kudu almost immediately. In addition we saw a genet which to my understanding is quite rare to get to see. I took it as a good omen. We saw several kudu bulls and a few cows as well as various other plains game. Again Andri said we could do better and that he has seen a great bull with beautiful ivory tips that had been coming into the oranges. We drove around looking at the various sights until it was time to head over to the kudu blind. From the sounds of it a homemade brushed in ground blind had been made about 100 yards of the orange pile. It sounded a bit crowded for four of us to squeeze into so I decided to stay back at the bakkie and let Andri, Pierre, and my son head out without me. I didn’t want to have any unnecessary challenges for him and miss a chance at a big kudu as we were starting to get down to the wire on time. Besides, it would all be on film so I would get to enjoy the experience with him later. We parked the bakkie about ¾ of a mile away and the three of them set out. I took a nap while the girls and trackers visited. With plenty of light left one of Andri’s trackers hopped in the truck and said lets go get them. Andri had gotten ahold of him via a handheld radio and early reports indicated a big kudu was down. I was soooo happy. When we arrived my son was grinning ear to ear and pointing at blood spattered oranges. He said they had been simply covered in kudu. Apparently they were waiting on a big bull to come in from the top of the hill when another bigger bull slipped in right under their nose undetected. He seemed to have come out of nowhere and with another very well placed shot bucked and tore off into the bushes. The blood trail was heavy and short. Not 50 yards into the bush was my son’s kudu piled up dead. He handed me the rifle and walked over. When he kneeled down and put his hands on that bull I knew exactly what he was feeling. I could tell by the look in his eyes it was the best moment of his life. A hard earned kudu to end the trip of a lifetime. He ran his hands up the spirals of the animal’s horns and thumbed the clean ivory tips. A life lesson about hard work and perseverance was learned that evening that I think will stick with him the rest of his life.
image.jpg
Gizmo Jr was still struck speechless when it was time for the camera interview but his reaction and the look on his face speaks volumes.

After the pictures and filming were finished we headed off to the skinning facility. Some celebratory cold beers were had and we visited with the land owner while the kudu was being tended to. It had come down to the last evening of the last hunting day in Africa but a fine kudu was in the salt. Tomorrow we had planned to visit Addo park but were unfortunately rained out. We had two days at the end of the trip we wanted to spend in Port Elizabeth for some shopping and checking out the beach. We stayed at the Broadway resort which was fantastic. We shopped, went bowling, and hung out at the beach collecting sea shells. It was a perfect ending to a wonderful trip.

I will forever be grateful for what Andri did for us. He put on the trip of a lifetime and I can’t thank him enough. I will most definitely be back to hunt with him again and would highly recommend him to anyone that wants a safari of a lifetime. He not only delivered but far surpassed my wildest dreams in every area. One thing that was most striking was that for the year leading up to the hunt he took the time to listen and make mental notes about what we really wanted out of our trip. This type of personalized service is rare these days and he absolutely knocked it out of the park. Should any of you wish to check out what he has to offer his website is www.andrifoxsafaris.com. I will be more than happy to give you his contact info should someone wish to contact him. I hope you enjoyed my report and God bless, Erik

Attachments

• image.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 171
  • image.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    11.9 MB · Views: 148
I will include some more pictures of the trip here for ya'll. some are funny about loading so make sure to check the bottom for the ones that won't post in the narrative box.
Kalahari
africa 2 061.JPG

africa 2 062.JPG

Kalahari Ferrari
africa 2 081.JPG
Quick breakfast before more buffalo tracking
africa 2 066.JPG
A Kalahari village
africa 2 083.JPG

For whatever reason the remainder of the pics won't post into here but should pop up if you click on the icons.

Attachments

• AFRICA 011.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 178
  • AFRICA 016.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 148
  • AFRICA 029.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 180
  • AFRICA 097.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 170
  • AFRICA 126.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 167
  • AFRICA 132.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 139
  • AFRICA 151.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 172
  • AFRICA 121.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 168
  • AFRICA 161.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 148
  • AFRICA 238.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 169
  • AFRICA 488.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 156
  • AFRICA 495.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 160
Eric,
Thank you for a fantastic report and photos. Your family had the experience of a life time and were able to take some great trophies. Good luck with your buffalo turning up and making his way to you. Be well and stay safe.
Mike

Erik,

I've continued to enjoy every word. Hearing about the Gizettes and the great time that they had was the best part. Sounds like you and Mrs. Gizmo have done a fine job raising those two. And well, of one of them ends up going tout A&M and being a vet then all the better!

Gig Em!!!!

Gizmo. Thank you for sharing. Beautiful animals and excellent writing skills. All this begs me to dare ask ....when can we expect the next trip report from the next Gizmo Family Adventure?

R.

Gizmo. Thank you for sharing. Beautiful animals and excellent writing skills. All this begs me to dare ask ....when can we expect the next trip report from the next Gizmo Family Adventure?

R.
Well I'm hoping to get to go back to Africa in 2017 or 18. In the meantime the wife and I will be heading to Romania for some Roe deer and touring next June.

Thank all of you for your encouragement and kind words. We had a great trip and I'm glad I was able to share a part of it with all of you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BillK

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.