Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, 33 US states and counting
I just returned from a fantastic DG hunt in South Africa with Mattanja Hunting Safaris and owner/PH Dieter Prinsloo who is active on this forum (posts here under his business name). In fact, I met him through the AH forums and we had some great conversations on WhatsApp. In all of that, I got comfortable with his personality and hunger and drive to continue growing his business. For me, chemistry between PH and hunter is very important. I can be successful without it BUT life is short and these hunts should be enjoyable without a lot of stress or personality issues. I knew we would have a good time regardless of the shooting opportunities and that truly was the case. I feel we have started a great friendship that will lead to more experiences together and I also look forward to helping host his first trip to the US during the next show season.

Dieter has access to a number of good areas and we bounced some ideas around, going back and forth a bit to make a plan. We settled on a primary goal of buffalo and secondary goals of croc and honey badger (both require advance paperwork/permits to be filed in South Africa). I really enjoyed the dialogue as we talked about different hunt goals and I would say this is something that really set Dieter apart to me from the beginning. He was very patient to consider different options with me. I never felt any pressure from him in these discussions.

I flew from Dallas to Istanbul to Jo’burg on Turkish Air using the great travel agent Darren Gin at Travel Express (sponsors here). As my flights were not booked well in advance, I ended up taking the longer route from Dallas to Istanbul to Jo’burg. The longer flights were about 10-13 hours each depending on which direction you are flying. Then I made a short hop on Air Link for the 40 minute flight to Polokwane. From there, we had a 2.5 hour drive to camp.

A few thoughts on Istanbul Airport and Turkish Air…I had some medium length layovers of 5-8 hours so there wasn’t time to leave the airport, which is about 50km outside of town. In light of that, I used and would recommend the Yotel hotel rooms on the airside of Istanbul Airport. That’s a good place to get a private room to sleep and shower, which makes a world of difference on these longer trips with layovers. The minimum stay at Yotel is 4 hours and that’s around $150 Euros. They do offer unlimited food/beverage at Yotel in their lounge area for around $45 Euros but I did not use that service. Yotel is in the Duty free area on the International side and there is a food court close by that has Subway, Popeyes Chicken, Sbarro Pizza, Carl’s Jr, etc.

One mistake that I made in Istanbul was in not researching the drinking water issue. I barely used the tap water in the Yotel private room to brush my teeth and take a pill but that was enough to give me stomach issues for a day. Afterwards, I learned that the Istanbul locals do not like using tap water and the local government is on a campaign to convince locals to use the water. That is exactly what you do NOT want to find out when getting onto another 10 hour flight!

Yotel room layout...by the way, if you want to try the local pizza with corn as a topping...I recommend you pass on it.
Yotel room.JPG

One interesting thing about Turkish Air is that at the Istanbul Airport, you will also have a security screening at the gate, which is 3-4 security checks one after the other. You just walk a few feet and do another process and another, etc. They seem to take security seriously!

I used Rifle Permits (sponsor here) and that was a great service. They knew all the airport personalities and maneuvered me through the Jo’burg paperwork hoops. I would not want to do it without them. I met a hunter who did not use them and he was very frustrated. I highly recommend their services, both coming and going.

Upon arriving at camp, we got settled after dark with the nice meet/greet and appetizers around the mopane campfire. There’s something about that kind of campfire that is just Africa! I could hear hippos honking in the dark down at the dam below the lodge. I was finally back in Africa!

71035902962__CEB5697C-04E1-41EE-8D69-EB7937AEE413.JPG

IMG_4134.JPG

I want to highlight the food at this lodge. The African lady chef was a real chef not just a cook. Every night was a fantastic spread of great steaks from eland, sable, kudu, etc with a number of very nice sides and salads and fresh fruit and desserts. I laugh because the PHs here say it’s hard to keep the weight off because the food is so good. It’s one of those places you could actually gain weight during your hunt. Lunches were not recycled leftovers (but I would have been thrilled to eat those steaks the next day). Breakfasts were full English style breakfasts. Honestly, it’s the best food I’ve ever had on a hunt anywhere. It was a real highlight and I will miss the food!

IMG_4135.JPG

The private cottages were very comfortable with rain head showers and lots of room to spread your stuff out to get organized. The lodge is situated above the river and dam that has hippos and more crocs than I’ve seen anywhere else. A lot of PHs come here to get their client a good croc and I was told there are at least 300-400 crocs just below the lodge. They were everywhere. It was also nice to have a lot of bushbuck and nyala around the lodge and cottages. It was common to have small groups feeding around your cottage on a regular basis.

I will post much more about the hunt soon…

IMG_4040.JPG

IMG_4137.JPG

IMG_4217.JPG

IMG_4133.JPG

IMG_4132.JPG

IMG_4126.JPG

IMG_4124.JPG

Keep it coming.

Awesome can’t wait for the rest!

Ok, let’s get to the hunting! The terrain was a good mix of cover with rolling terrain and big blocks of heavy cover. I saw a LOT of variety of species right away. The first day alone I saw gemsbok, Impala, sable, eland, mountain reedbuck, bushbuck, buffalo, ostrich, wildebeest, nyala, roan, white rhino, red lechwe, baboons and vervet monkeys, lots of croc, hippo, common duiker and warthog. Most of those were seen before lunch. Every day I saw 15-20 species and I would say in the areas we hunted there were very good examples of sable, roan, wildebeest, nyala, croc and a few other species. On other parts of the property, there are a lot of kudu, bushbuck, eland, zebra, giraffe, etc.

We spent the first 2 days getting a look at as many buff as possible and finding some older bulls. Some were mixed in with groups and a few were alone. We wanted to track some of the solitary bulls to increase our odds of getting close with fewer animals to deal with. Each morning and afternoon we made multiple stalks, often on the same bull getting close many times. Each time we would get close, the wind would shift or another animal would spook and the bull would go deeper into the cover. I was thoroughly enjoying tracking all day on 1 or 2 bulls and focusing our efforts. Eventually I knew it would pay off and we were on the sticks every day but just needed a little luck.

One note on the weather…it’s their winter of course in Africa and I could NOT wait to get down there and out of the Texas heat. At night it would get down around 50 degrees F and during the day it would be in the 70’s. All of the locals were cold and wearing coats but it sure felt nice to me! It was wonderful to be tracking in 70 degrees instead of 90’s!

This is a good place to mention the tracker Vusi. Like many lead trackers he was very good but I would say that he was a lot better than average. It’s also interesting how many really good trackers are from Zimbabwe. There’s just a ranching culture in Zim which has produced a lot of excellent trackers. As you probably know, many of them in their childhood were responsible for finding lost livestock and that expectation of being responsible for finding an animal has given them thousands of hours of experience tracking one animal among many.

Here's a good example of the plunge from a 2 track into tight cover. It's like a wall of brush that we lived in for most of the week!
IMG_4011.JPG

There were multiple mornings or afternoons where we stayed on the same track for 5+ miles in very thick cover of thorn, mopane, etc. It was incredibly dense cover and each day the thorns took their pound of flesh. Vusi never lost the track and would often back us out to get a different angle on the wind. Many times we were within 20 yards or less of a good bull but could barely see him. One of my very favorite parts about hunting in Africa is being close to the animal but you can’t go forward or back. You can’t move or make a sound. The animal is right there sleeping behind something or resting or standing looking for you. The tracker is staring and the PH is testing the wind from his boot in the dirt or kneeling and dropping some dirt from his hand. The sweat is running down you and you feel the wind start to shift. What’s going to happen next? The tension is fantastic. Of course…usually we know what happens. You feel that sweat start to cool and the wind shifts into the animal. There’s nothing quite like the explosion of dangerous game moving quickly in tight cover near you. I don’t know what drugs are like but I like this feeling!

stalking terrain.JPG

Due to the really tight cover where the leaves had not all dropped, I was glad that I had left the 500 nitro double at home and brought the scoped 375 to hunt everything with. Granted, there were times I wondered if I should have brought a heavier rifle (scoped 416 or 458) for that thick cover but it all worked out well in the end. I would have been frustrated though without a scoped rifle. There were many times I had to focus optics in and out to resolve the differences between the black buffalo and the dark shadows in the thorns…and what part of the buffalo am I actually looking at??? I particularly liked having a lighted reticle in my scope and it made a huge difference in low light and last light situations several times over the course of the trip.

typical terrain.JPG

After 2 days of busted stalks, I was still excited to be there. Every stalk was different and interesting and we just needed a little luck or the wind holding for us. I’m always slightly disappointed at early luck in a hunt. It feels good to earn the reward and that would certainly be the case on this buffalo hunt. We were on the sticks multiple times and even once on a nice bull with a group of cows but never had the right angle or opening. Hey, this is what makes it so much fun!

The 2nd evening we hunted the bone pile for honey badger that had been seen on camera regularly. There was a pair that were coming in and we made a go for one of them. We had a hand held night vision monocular and were able to see the pair coming in right on schedule. We had made a plan to have the PH turn on the red torch and I would have my Swaro scope lighted reticle turned on. It was a good plan but I was not pointed exactly where the light turned on so I moved left to the animal in the light and it quickly moved backwards to a different place on the pile. When I moved the scope up to it, I shot as the reticle got to the center but my gun was still in motion slightly. I ended up shooting just over it at about 35 meters. As we searched all around the area, the tracker found a couple of small drops of blood about 50 meters away. We determined that I had just nicked the top of the animal but there was virtually no blood sign and it was clearly just a scratch that was non-vital. I was disappointed of course but later that evening the honey badger pair was both seen on camera again with no visible damage or injury, eating in their usual fashion. We decided to try and redeem that the next evening if they stayed on their pattern.

Bone pile of giraffe, hippo, croc, and various PG...
IMG_3970.JPG

IMG_3969.JPG

Hang tight…more shooting soon!

Until we get this buffalo, every day is buffalo day. However on the 3rd day while trying to cut fresh buffalo tracks, we came across a very nice sable in a position that didn’t affect a buffalo stalking opportunity. There was no way I was going to shoot something else in the middle of a buffalo stalk but we got a good opportunity and I took a 120 meter shot on a sable that was about 100 feet below our hill. One shot with the 375 H&H shooting 300 gr TSX at about 2450 fps had a dramatic effect. He fell in 20 meters and was done. He was a very beautiful sable with matched horns, heavy bases and good flare at the tips with 41” of length. I’m proud to have taken him and it was our first animal in the salt. I look forward to figuring out a pose for him on a pedestal mount.

rifle and sable.jpeg

Sable are an interesting subject. Royal game…the Prince of Africa. If you have seen them in the wild, you would agree that is a good name for them. They walk around with their head high in some form of pride. It looks like they believe they are better than the other PG and maybe even more than that. They are brave animals and there are many stories of them killing lions or being aggressive towards even larger game. There is a great video on Youtube now of a sable demonstrating the weird fighting style of a sable by going down onto his knees and slashing sideways. The subject of his aggression? A full grown rhino! Royal indeed.

We hunted buffalo that afternoon with similar results; busted stalks and getting close but no cigar. Still I can’t think of a better way to spend your time in Africa!

That evening we went back to the bone pile and right on schedule after dark, the pair of honey badgers came back. This time we let them settle on the feed and when the light came on I was ready. One shot behind the shoulder anchored the honey badger and fulfilled a life-long dream to get one. This area only gets one on quota per year and I was thrilled to have taken one. They are such an amazing animal. I’m posting the photo with the tracker as he was so excited to get it. In fact when we came into camp well after dark, the African staff came pouring out when they saw it was a honey badger. The head skinner said, “It is my honor to handle this honey badger for you.” They are really a special animal; the bad ass of Africa! Full mount on this one of course but I would like to get some recommendations on poses from members on this forum.

Vusi and HB.jpeg

HB.jpeg

On the 4th day, the tracker said we are going to get that buffalo today! We had settled on chasing one particular buffalo that was past breeding age and had been kicked out by the younger bulls. This bull was pretty distinctive in his grey facial markings and big, beefy body with bosses that had separated in his old age with a tough leathery looking section in between….distinctive.

We took up the tracks once again and put some pressure on this bull. Twice that morning we were on the sticks and the second time, a brief hesitation on my part blew the only real open shot we had with him so all week. That’s disappointing when hours of effort and concentration give you a tiny window and it doesn’t work out but you take your lesson and solider on.

Every time something didn’t work out, Vusi the tracker would slowly wave his arm forward and start tracking again. This continued all morning and after a short lunch break we were on the tracks again. With this much pressure after several days, the bull had dipped into his bag of tricks and was sometimes circling back on us and we would find ourselves standing on OUR own tracks a few times. That’s an interesting experience to realize while you are looking for him, he is standing behind you watching you! Of course you swivel and check your angles time and again but I never caught him when he was behind us. Cheeky bastard.

As we approached last light of day, there was a quick discussion that the bull might turn to face us with the added pressure we had been putting on him. It certainly felt like something had shifted. The tracks led us out into a small clearing and there he was facing us from the other side with his head held high at around 50-60 meters. I quickly got onto the sticks and was so grateful for the lighted reticle as there was little definition to see in the black body in low light. I quickly thought…1/3 to 1/2 way up and centered in the gap between his front legs…squeeze…and the sound of the hit was distinct. I ran the bolt quickly on the sticks as he was spinning to his right towards the brush line. Surprisingly he fell right at the brush, within 20 meters of where he had been standing at the shot. In his death bellow, he lifted his head toward me to make one more effort and out of respect, I gave him a finishing shot. It’s over.

Anyone who has been there knows the mix and rush of emotions of dangerous game. There is such respect for the animal and their strength, courage and potential. There are highs and lows along the way. You feel alive and every day I do this, I feel a little stronger on the inside than the day before. I look down at myself and I have cuts and scrapes from thorns all over. It looks like I had a motorcycle accident! I feel different afterwards, like I left part of myself on the field. All the hours and miles of following his tracks…to end at last light as he turned to face us. An old bull…a proper bull, taken on his terms…this is the way.

In the end, this fantastic bull turned to fight and only the gun made it possible to beat him. We stayed up late that night around the fire to honor him and his courage. We have mixed emotions as hunters but we honor the game and their skills. He was old and losing his teeth and, in the natural order of things, would have been pulled down by lions or hyenas and eaten alive. I’m glad to have met him in the field!

me and Dieter.jpeg

back of buff head.jpeg

buff bullet.jpeg

Congrats, nice bull !

Sable and honeybadger are not bad either ;)

awesome report so far! thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Novel horns on the Bull.
Congratulations on some good trophies. I appreciate how you chose to hunt.

Congrats on an awesome Buffalo. You hunted him the right way and we’re rewarded for your efforts. Your sable and honey badger are also great trophies. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Congratulations on a great buffalo. The description of your thoughts after killing your buffalo was spot on. Thanks

Sounds like you had a wonderful hunt. Lots of walking. Some interesting animals too. Well done.
Bruce

nice report- honey badger is always icing on the cake. There aren’t a lot of honey badger poses from the US taxidermy suppliers. I had to do a slightly modified pose for mine.

IMG_1725.jpeg
IMG_1937.jpeg

Although it was a short week to hunt, we had time for one more animal. This particular ranch has a river running through the property into a series of dams. The value of this for the animal population cannot be overstated.

river.JPG

In creating this, nature did what it does and filled it up with crocs! There are at least 400 crocs in this area of the property. That’s a lot of crocs and the local bet is would anyone be willing to jet ski or swim across it? No takers so far. Of course there are some fish, etc to feed them but who wants to see a beautiful sable or nyala going under much less the rancher’s German Shepherds?!? So I was asked to make time to take one of the big ones. We were looking for something in the 3.5 meter range or bigger if possible. As you know, the big ones are old and not easily taken. They don’t get big by making a lot of mistakes.

It was pretty interesting trying to sneak into and out of these little cuts and holes around the edge of the water. As slow and as quiet as we could be, we were bumping a lot of crocs into the water. Of course they don’t go quietly but sound like a giant fat man doing a cannonball off the high dive. I would say stalking on foot (not baiting) is one of the more challenging ways to take a big, mature croc. They just won’t put up with anything that doesn’t seem right. We would get close to getting on the sticks and a hippo would surface and blow it up. Next time we would get close to one and the Egyptian geese making a scene would wreck the setup. Slowly but surely we kept working around the edge of the water looking for the big boys. There were big females of course but we were focused on finding an old male with a broad, Roman nose.

glassing.jpeg

There was one particular croc that they had been trying to catch for several years without success. We found him and got within 20 yards crawling around the edge of the water while he was sleeping on the bank. As we slowly tried to get into position for a shot, he sensed something and launched into the water. Sometimes these animals just have a sense that something isn’t right and that’s what keeps them surviving for a long time. I said you could either sit up on a hill and snipe him, which isn’t sporting…or you could build a blind and sit here all day for as long as it takes. Someone will get that croc. Maybe next time!

We continued our slow progress through the reeds and around the edges and another large male came into view. He was about as long as the huge one but not as wide. I thought he looked fantastic. We slipped into a shooting position, which required shooting through a hole in the brush between us. I was seated and used the side of the shooting sticks for a rest and asked Dieter to lean into me for a back rest to stabilize my arm. We had agreed beforehand that we were not looking for a brain shot that wrecks the trophy but rather the spine shot behind the smile. This is a great example that another PH has posted online…

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 7.19.26 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 7.19.43 PM.png

The croc was resting and calm and had not sensed us yet and was about 40 meters ahead of us. I took a few seconds to run through a pre-shot routine and calm the breathing and squeezed the shot. Immediately the croc was rocked onto his off-side and came back down. I had already run the bolt and shot #2 was on the way. He was anchored.

blood in water.jpeg

We ran around the corner and I put an insurance shot into his vitals. Now crocs are just weird. They are like dinosaurs and this one was no exception. He slowly opened and closed his mouth and blinked at us for about 10 minutes. So I put another shot into his vitals. Again...blinking and breathing for over 10 minutes. He now had four 300 grain TSX's in his spine and vitals. At this point, we radioed for the tractor to come help us pull him out as he wasn't going to fit in the bakkie. While we waited, I threw rocks at the crocs that were edging in close and watched our croc continue breathing, blinking and opening his mouth. I told the story of PH and veterinarian Kevin Robertson who talks about a croc that they shot and then cut the heart out of it and the heart continued beating for several hours on the sand by itself. We took some measurements and the croc taped at 3.8 meters. When I asked how much bigger the giant croc was the PH said he was about this long but 1 meter wider! Whew.

rifle and croc.jpeg

One final note about this croc was while we were waiting for the front end loader to arrive, Vusi the tracker got a bottle of water and proceeded to wash the croc's teeth! I said what are you doing and he says...making him pretty for the camera! And here ya go...

open mouth.jpeg

Someone asked about the croc bullets. There were no exits!!! Talk about tough. Here's a 300 TSX pulled out of the crushed spinal shot.

IMG_4365.JPG

On the 4th day, the tracker said we are going to get that buffalo today! We had settled on chasing one particular buffalo that was past breeding age and had been kicked out by the younger bulls. This bull was pretty distinctive in his grey facial markings and big, beefy body with bosses that had separated in his old age with a tough leathery looking section in between….distinctive.

We took up the tracks once again and put some pressure on this bull. Twice that morning we were on the sticks and the second time, a brief hesitation on my part blew the only real open shot we had with him so all week. That’s disappointing when hours of effort and concentration give you a tiny window and it doesn’t work out but you take your lesson and solider on.

Every time something didn’t work out, Vusi the tracker would slowly wave his arm forward and start tracking again. This continued all morning and after a short lunch break we were on the tracks again. With this much pressure after several days, the bull had dipped into his bag of tricks and was sometimes circling back on us and we would find ourselves standing on OUR own tracks a few times. That’s an interesting experience to realize while you are looking for him, he is standing behind you watching you! Of course you swivel and check your angles time and again but I never caught him when he was behind us. Cheeky bastard.

As we approached last light of day, there was a quick discussion that the bull might turn to face us with the added pressure we had been putting on him. It certainly felt like something had shifted. The tracks led us out into a small clearing and there he was facing us from the other side with his head held high at around 50-60 meters. I quickly got onto the sticks and was so grateful for the lighted reticle as there was little definition to see in the black body in low light. I quickly thought…1/3 to 1/2 way up and centered in the gap between his front legs…squeeze…and the sound of the hit was distinct. I ran the bolt quickly on the sticks as he was spinning to his right towards the brush line. Surprisingly he fell right at the brush, within 20 meters of where he had been standing at the shot. In his death bellow, he lifted his head toward me to make one more effort and out of respect, I gave him a finishing shot. It’s over.

Anyone who has been there knows the mix and rush of emotions of dangerous game. There is such respect for the animal and their strength, courage and potential. There are highs and lows along the way. You feel alive and every day I do this, I feel a little stronger on the inside than the day before. I look down at myself and I have cuts and scrapes from thorns all over. It looks like I had a motorcycle accident! I feel different afterwards, like I left part of myself on the field. All the hours and miles of following his tracks…to end at last light as he turned to face us. An old bull…a proper bull, taken on his terms…this is the way.

In the end, this fantastic bull turned to fight and only the gun made it possible to beat him. We stayed up late that night around the fire to honor him and his courage. We have mixed emotions as hunters but we honor the game and their skills. He was old and losing his teeth and, in the natural order of things, would have been pulled down by lions or hyenas and eaten alive. I’m glad to have met him in the field!

View attachment 545289

View attachment 545290

View attachment 545291
Love the write up and the feelings of emotions that completely mirord my feelings exactly especially the thorns which destroyed my shirt! Congratulations on an awesome hunt and magnificant bull! Well earned my friend!!!

Funny you say that. I just put up my gear from the trip and need to replace some clothing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AbbyRigby0

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you