Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, Canada, Africa
Hello all

My first hunting report from June of 2023 in South Africa. I went with my wife and 2 of my business partners Scott and Gary, we own a shooting range in north Alabama. Scott took his son, kind of a Graduation from high school trip. We also had another friend along.

Outfitter: Wild Wildebeest Lodge
Species hunted: Wildebeest, Zebra, Warthog, Impala.
Rifle: Savage Timberline .308 Winchester
Scope: Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10
Ammunition: Barnes Vor-tx 168 gr. TTSX BT
Rifle Case: Eylar 48” case
Tour booking company: Africa MoJa
Accommodations for arrival and departure: Afton's Safari Lodge.

Like most hunts the planning started way in advance. In fact this all came about at a Friends of the NRA Dinner in 2019.
Keep in mind that unknown to us at time, was a small little detail that one of the partners (Gary) has no self-control at auctions. He bid on nearly everything.

I am watching the auction list and finally the time comes to bid on the Safari. I open the bid and another party ups the bid. I bid again and the same thing happens. Scott takes up the bid and gets the high bid. Going once, going twice, and then Gary bids against us. He is happy... we won us hunt to Africa!

The start of the adventure.

We elected to drive the 4 hours to Atlanta. We had enough time built in for traffic delays and what not. Turned out we needed it. We had planned on getting to the airport about 3 hours early and made it there 1 hour and 45 minutes early. We still had time to get the guns checked, luggage checked and a quick drink.

We decided to stay at Afton's on arrival and departure.

At our arrival in Joburg, Afton's met us and got us through customs and everything very quickly. Afton’s also had dinner waiting for us when we showed up. So far so good. The next day we knocked around Joburg, went to Safari Outdoor had lunch, stopped at liquor store and got some supplies. We pretty much try the local whiskey wherever we are. We were expecting a 4:00 pm pick up to head to the lodge. The driver didn't show. A quick phone call revealed that we would be picked up later due to another client’s departure flight being delayed. We finally got picked up and headed to the lodge. We had a 4-hour drive with no stop for dinner scheduled and no dinner scheduled at The Wild Wildebeest Lodge. That was not going to work. We improvised and found the only place open a McDonalds! Yup we ate McDonalds in RSA.
tempImagey0Pg8u.jpg

We were then handed off to the PH's at the end of the paved road and off we went to the lodge in the dark. Upon arrival the staff got us unloaded and into our rooms and the PH's introduced themselves and got a drink for everybody that wanted one.

Day 1
Next morning was a leisurely breakfast and then off to check the zero on the rifles and for the PH’s to see if could shoot. Scott’s rifle which traveled in a Plano case that took a beating with one of the latches was ripped off, the rifle needed to be re-zeroed. 16 Clicks to get back zeroed.

Zebra!
I told my PH, Martin, that I would not shoot from the truck, I would not get out and walk a short distance and shoot, so started our hunt, my wife went with me, she did not hunt but she went everywhere I went.

We are ridding to an area for a try at Wildebeest. Well, that didn’t go as planned. We spotted Zebra on the way. They broke and ran for the thick stuff. We drove past them then dismounted and stalked back. We pushed them back out to open area. They were 149 yards out. A successful shot and I had the Zebra my wife wanted. We made the pictures loaded up the animal and back by lunch time. I was 1 everybody else zero.

tempImageYU1TV6.jpg

Wildebeest!

That afternoon we headed backout for Wildebeest. We spotted a nice Golden Wildebeest and Martin asked if I wanted to shoot it. Nope I had a plan (budget). A little later we, well Martin spotted Wildebeest way off, maybe a mile or more. Damn that guy can see. We glassed them, then moved and parked the truck and then we started a stalk. About 45 minutes later we had a good shooting position and we had the heard bull picked out. Then started the set up and move game this went on for about another 30 minutes. We were right 153 yards. Wind in our face. Slight downhill angle. A slight bartering away shot. I take the shot and the Wildebeest drops in it tracks. Doesn’t move. I knew I clipped the spine. I had a lung shot with a spine clip. A finishing shot and the deal was closed. Our tracker Chum says something, and Martin laughs. I asked what he said. Martin replied Chum likes you he doesn’t have to work. Back to the camp we go.

tempImageKLej16.jpg

We get back and a couple of the guys had scored also, but we had one gut shot Zebra still out. My buddy was in a foul mood. They did recover the Zebra the next morning so all was good again.

Day 2 & 3

I spent the next two chasing Warthog and Impala and getting bumped by Buffalo. Warthogs are cagey little critters. Well at least when we were hunting them, they were. I did spot a leopard crossing the road on our return to lodge in the evening. We also spotted two honey Badgers in the morning on day 3.

Day 4

Sitting in a blind at a watering hole waiting for a good Warthog boar to showed up. It was entertaining watching the animals interact. The warthog seemed to be the pretty dominate species at the watering hole. I watched a Wildebeest toss a small warthog only to get run off by a bigger warthog. Eventually a nice boar comes into the watering hole. I closed that deal with about a 70-yard shot.

tempImageT7tZJi.jpg

Day 5
In the morning we are walking through thick stuff on a road and there is a Sable! Just standing there on the edge of the road. Right behind him is a pretty good Impala. We set up and waited, then adjusted and when the Sable moved and I took my Impala. Just over 150 yard shot.

tempImagedfUBuh.jpg

My experience with the Barnes ammo and the .308 was excellent.
The Zebra ran about 50 yards and collapsed. Complete pass through.
The Wildebeest was knocked down with a lucky shot and need a finishing shot to quickly end it. Both shots complete pass through.
Warthog one shot broad side, ran about 5 feet.
The Impala was a frontal shot. The bullet lodged In the tailbone. Impala dropped on the spot.

We also booked and additional 6 days of touring after the hunt.
We toured around Joburg saw the Cradle of Humankind, Soweto, Pretoria and some other stuff. I see no reason to ever spend any more time in Joburg.
Then we toured Cape Town. Wow what a difference. We toured the Cape and then Stellenbosch for some wine tastings. The Iron Steaks restaurant was great!

After thoughts...
Afton's took great care of us. They do not have central heat or air. In one of the rooms the heater did not work. The wait staff and drivers were great.
One of the office persons was a bit grouchy appearing, but generally pleasant when out of the office. Afton's does have a shutdown time. So after the shutdown time it is inside doors locked.

Africa Moja, these guys did a pretty good job of getting us where we needed to go on our tour with them. I di not like that on the second day they added a couple to our tour and added a stop at a cultural village. Complete waste of two hours! They added this to in at what should have been our lunch stop. We then had lunch and beers at the Cradle of Humankind. Africa Moja did not pick us up at the airport on our return from Cape Town. The driver from Afton's happened to be there so it worked out.

Wild Wildebeest Lodge, took great care of us, the staff was great, all of the PH's were great. The Ph's established that they like to have fun and were inclusive in the evening entertainment. I would hunt with them again.

Traffic jam in Joburg, Goats don't Care!
tempImageoqZIJg.jpg

Stellenbosch

tempImageII1z14.jpg

Down near the Cape of Good hope.
tempImageLI2FU0.jpg

What bullet weight did you use? I had near perfect results with the 150 grain on my last trip, but might move up to the 165 next time.

That Zebra will make a nice flat skin. My gal Tina said she didn't want one till we flew out and she saw all the Zebra pelts for sale in the O.R. Tambo Duty Free shops. I saw that "I could've had a V-8" look come over her face.

Was part of a group the also hunted with Wild Wildebeest Lodge back in August of 2023. Think I might start a new post for our experience.

Looks like you had a great hunt.

Nice critters, thanks for the report. Congratulations on a successful first safari.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Sounds like a great trip between the tour and the hunting. Good shooting. Congrats
Bruce

Great pig, congrats !

Sounds like a fun hunt, except for having to eat at Mickey D’s. Thanks for postimg.

Looks like you were successful and had a great time at it. Well done!

Sounds like a fun hunt, except for having to eat at Mickey D’s. Thanks for postimg.
Interestingly eating at a Micky D's, Burger King or KFC has kinda become a thing for us in foreign countries. Gotta eat at least one meal at an American fast food joint. China, Greece, Italy, The Netherlands, Germany, Egypt, South Africa, Mexico to name some of them.
The most troubling one was eating at a KFC in Cairo Egypt. Walked out of the Pyramids and there right across the street was KFC. So off we go. I am eating fried chicken thinking, that I have not seen a chicken or for that matter a cat anywhere in this country, is this even chicken? Oh well tastes like chicken. After all ya gotta keep your cholesterol and triglyceride levels stable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OrenMays0

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.