cgdemakis

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, USA
Just returned from my 1st African Safari with Warthog Safari’s in the northern Limpopo. I took my oldest son as a graduation gift from high school. I booked a 10 day hunt with six species as the initial plan. My son was along as an observer and we were splitting the package. We flew Delta via Atlanta to Joburg leaving home March 31 and arriving at 7:00 p.m. April 1. The flight and arrival went very smoothly. Warthog handled all the firearm paperwork and it was a breeze through the police station once the firearm arrived. One thing is for certain, there is definetly African time, nothing moves quickly in Africa. We were met at arrivals by our PH, Manual, and he was with us the whole trip. After clearing the gun we began a 4 hour trek to the lodge.

I have done several hunts of 7-15 days but this was my first trek to Africa. Warthog Safaris has been at our local sport show for several years and I was always intrigued by what Africa had to offer.

Tienie and Ananja Bamberger operate Warthog Safaris. We met both of them the next morning as we began our 1st day of hunting. After the safety briefing and details overview from Tienie it was off to check the zero with Manual and then to hunt. Tienie joined us for the 1st afternoon of pursuit. These two operate a first class operation. They are extremely customer orientated, very cordial, supremely hospitable and 1st class hunters. The lodge at Warthog is second to none. There is a massive commercial kitchen and dining room complete with indoor grilling and fire pit and bar. Anything you want to drink is available anytime you wish. All the meals are from fresh game meat, domestic meat and produce. Each day starts with a light pre hunt breakfast and coffee and then brunch at midday with an assortment of eggs, bacon, pancakes, sausages or game meats, toast, chicken fingers, salads and other goodies. Evening meals consisted of anything from Zebra steak, Sable, Impala, chicken and fish with fresh salads and vegetables and outstanding sweets. The guest rooms are first rate complete with full showers and running water, AC, king sized beds, gun safe, closets and all the amenities of home. You truly feel welcomed and at home with Warthog.

The package consisted of a choice between Kudu and Waterbuck, Zebra and Gemsbock then Warthog, Impala, Blue Wildebeest, and Blesbuck. The plan was for me to hunt the kudu, gemsbock and Impala with my son taking a zebra instead of the wildebeest and then having a chance on the hog and blesbuck. As we quickly found out Africa has its own plan. My son took a zebra right away the first day. The next day we stumbled on an old brute of a blue wildebeest and I took the opportunity. Later that day I quickly was on a great impala ram and the plan was officially out the window. My son ended up taking the blesbuck and the warthog along with an impala of his own. I was focused on Kudu when we had an opportunity on a great waterbuck I couldn’t let go. Now the plan was fully tossed. During the initial days of hunting we had seen several nice sable that caught my eye but I was holding off until my second safari to pursue that beautiful animal. As chance would have it we snuck on a tremendous bull that I couldn’t resist. We continued to hunt the kudu as that is why I mainly chose to hunt Africa. The bush was extremely thick and while we saw several young bulls we had no encounters with a mature shooter bull but we continued to hunt them hard. I couldn’t leave Africa without a spiral horn and on our last day afield a Nyala presented itself and I couldn’t pass. Nyala was also on the plan for the second safari. We ended up coming home with two impala, blesbuck, waterbuck, warthog, zebra, nyala, sable and blue wildebeest. A great trip!

Our PH Manual was extremely cordial, knowledgeable and great fun to hunt with. He was easy to read and understand, worked quickly and communicated clearly and made for a great experience. I have had many guides that clash or are very pushy and demanding. Manual hunted very much like I hunt and was great to work with. I look forward to hunting with him on my return trip.

I would highly recommend the team at Warthog Safaris if you are looking for an African hunt you will never forget. The facilities, team, hospitality and warmth are second to none.

hog.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice tusker!! Thank you for sharing your safari with us!!

That's a great warthog! Congrats on your trip. Please post more photos of you and your son's successes!

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Nice trophies and thanks for sharing.

Very nice. You and your son will remember this hunt for a long time. Congrats and thanks for sharing.
Bruce

Looks like you had a great first Safari! Congratulations!

Welcome to the site-congratulations on a great first safari

Congratulations on a successful first safari. Well done and thanks for posting

:S Welcome: to AH and Thanks for sharing. What a great trip you had!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CindaParte

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.