Something Small I picked up for "tipping"

migrabill

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
MBS, SCI, NRA
Hunted
US. Maryland. Kentucky. West Virginia. Ohio. Illinois. Pennsylvania. Delaware.
I will be on my 1st African Adventure this June. I was in Cabela's and they had these multi use tools at a ridiculously low clearance price. I picked up a case of them. My thought is to hand them out to the locals who assist me. Driver, trackers, skinners, camp staff, etc. Do you guys think this would be OK, or would it be insulting? This is obviously not my tip; just an extra.

multi.jpg

I bought a pile of the Mini Leatherman units off of ebay. These are the ones confiscated at airports and were very clean and hardly used. They went over very well with the skinners and trackers.

These were in addition to standard tipping.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 7.35.49 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 7.35.49 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 37
As an extra they are fine and will be appreciated.
However this kind of stuff is also available in SA.

I bought a pile of the Mini Leatherman units off of ebay. These are the ones confiscated at airports and were very clean and hardly used. They went over very well with the skinners and trackers.

These were in addition to standard tipping.
So what I got is OK? Or do they only like the Leatherman's that you put a link to?

So what I got is OK? Or do they only like the Leatherman's that you put a link to?

No one in Africa is going to not appreciate a tool that helps them in their job and life. Would I make it a sub for cash? No I wouldn’t, they need cash for food too.

Yep, the ones you bought at Cabela's, they're perfectly OK. I just happened to luck in to a good deal on a dozen of them.

Just make sure there’s cash too or they would most likely be insulted

I have to chime in here, that gifts are not appreciated as you might think. I am all for leaving behind my old shoes clothes etcetera at the conclusion of the safari but when it comes to leaving tips for the staff what is most appreciated is cash.
I do not think people read my post correctly. I specifically stated these are not viewed as tips. I, of course, will leave cash. These do not take the place of any cash. Just something extra.

Just make sure there’s cash too or they would most likely be insulted
I do not think people read my post correctly. I specifically stated these are not viewed as tips. I, of course, will leave cash. These do not take the place of any cash. Just something extra.

You are welcome to bring those items if you wish, but I (my personal opinion) would consider them gifts...not a tip.
BTW - the title to your thread is Something Small I picke up for "tipping". There's no other way to interpret that other than you intend to use them as a subsitute for a tip.

I read your last post and understand your intentions, however that doesn't change the fact that the title is misleading.

I've found that if I ask the PH/Outfitter in advance what the guys would like, it alleviates bringing something unwanted or unusable. A couple trips back I gave one of these to the tracker that was accompanying us and it went over big with the PH. He could instantly see his guy out in the bush. The next trip, I brought a dozen with me and enough camo ones for him and his family.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 7.37.08 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 7.37.08 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 35
I've found that if I ask the PH/Outfitter in advance what the guys would like, it alleviates bringing something unwanted or unusable. A couple trips back I gave one of these to the tracker that was accompanying us and it went over big with the PH. He could instantly see his guy out in the bush. The next trip, I brought a dozen with me and enough camo ones for him and his family.

Awesome idea. Two for each of them, one orange and one dark earth tone (dark green or dark brown). Perfect for the SA winters.

I also like these and throw in a sharpener as well...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018I8PX...GUXXEGGTE&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 7.37.32 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 7.37.32 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
They look nice to me !
if they don’t want or need something they will sell it or trade it!
when I was a outfitter in Mexico for whitetail, mulie, sheep
hats , knives, multi tools, roping ropes ( cattle Reata) where always a hit .
even if you don’t smoke tobacco buy the maximum amount at a duty free or local store to pass out to tracker and camp staff
ask your PH

p.s ask the PH about bringing in school supplies ( pens, paper, ect) as gifts for the under staff , maybe some cheap first aid kits

Last edited:
As an extra its perfectly fine and would be greatly appreciated. I've done it all and in the end...CASH is appreciated most.

Last edited:
You are welcome to bring those items if you wish, but I (my personal opinion) would consider them gifts...not a tip.

BTW - the title to your thread is Something Small I picke up for "tipping". There's no other way to interpret that other than you intend to use them as a subsitute for a tip.

I read your last post and understand your intentions, however that doesn't change the fact that the title is misleading.
I think you're right! I put tipping in quotes for just that reason, but I can see I was not clear enough. It won't let me edit it!

I have been taking bubble gum and packs of crackers for the truck each day. They were always a hit. It has nothing to do with tipping just something different and nice for their work day.

Exactly. I wouldn’t be surprised if the op was seeing if this was good enough for a tip vs cash tip and then backtracked a bit once realizing it wasn’t going to fly.

Reading the OP's first comment, I comprehend these not as tips but gifts. As would these be a nice thing to offer, and not useful or appreciated. Tough crowd.

I've taken similar items as this, as well as flashlights, ect. At the end of the day, you just end up lugging around more weight and bulk in your luggage, when they prefer cash over everything else. It's a nice gesture for sure, but they smile more when you hand them the Benjamins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoniEdward

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.