Solids for vintage WR 470

JPmbogo

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Willapa Harbor Gun Club
I will be taking my 1914 vintage Westley Richards 470 double to Africa in 2023 for a buff hunt. I plan on taking my own loads. I have a good supply of Hornady 500 gr DGX bullets which should get the job done just fine. However, I probably should load some full solids as well. I don't want to use monolithic solids in the old boy (in fact sold my stash of A-Square mono solids on this site awhile back). So, open to suggestions?

FYI pressure testing was done using a 470NE and most of the premium Bullets available by Michael McCourry the Bullet with the least amount of pressure was the CEB bullet a Bore Riding Brass Bullet the most pressure old Barnes Solids ...
I have used CEB bullets successfully in my 400H&H 450NE 458 Lott and my 505 Gibbs

Attachments

• 470 Nitro Barrel Strain Data.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 57
I will be taking my 1914 vintage Westley Richards 470 double to Africa in 2023 for a buff hunt. I plan on taking my own loads. I have a good supply of Hornady 500 gr DGX bullets which should get the job done just fine. However, I probably should load some full solids as well. I don't want to use monolithic solids in the old boy (in fact sold my stash of A-Square mono solids on this site awhile back). So, open to suggestions?
I may completely wrong here but I would think the Hornady DGS would pair well with the DGX

FYI pressure testing was done using a 470NE and most of the premium Bullets available by Michael McCourry the Bullet with the least amount of pressure was the CEB bullet a Bore Riding Brass Bullet the most pressure old Barnes Solids ...
I have used CEB bullets successfully in my 400H&H 450NE 458 Lott and my 505 Gibbs
Thanks for the info - very informative. One has to be very careful with shooting these vintage rifles. On the other hand, I can run about anything I want down the barrels of my VC 600!

LFB (Labor Fur Ballistik) 500Gr copper jacketed FMJ solid factory loads (2150fps). Best in the business. I used their 900Gr copper jacketed FMJ solids and softs (1985fps) in a .600 Nitro Express Heym Jumbo sidelock ejector to hunt a hippo on land. Photo can be seen on my media page. The recovered solid looked completely unfired, except for the rifling groove marks.

Second choice would be Federal's 500Gr brass jacketed Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer Solids.

Actually, for Cape buffalo... My advice would be to load premium grade soft points in both the barrels. I would personally opt for Federal Premium 500Gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw soft point factory loads (assuming of course, that you can get your pre WWI Westley Richards to regulate properly with them).

I hope that the Hornady 500Gr DGX which you plan on using, is the post 2018 Bonded variety ?

Last edited:
LFB (Labor Fur Ballistik) 500Gr copper jacketed FMJ solid factory loads (2150fps). Best in the business. I used their 900Gr copper jacketed FMJ solids and softs (1985fps) in a .600 Nitro Express Heym Jumbo sidelock ejector to hunt a hippo on land. Photo can be seen on my media page. The recovered solid looked completely unfired, except for the rifling groove marks.

Second choice would be Federal's 500Gr brass jacketed Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer Solids.

Actually, for Cape buffalo... My advice would be to load premium grade soft points in both the barrels. I would personally opt for Federal Premium 500Gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw soft point factory loads (assuming of course, that you can get your pre WWI Westley Richards to regulate properly with them).

I hope that the Hornady 500Gr DGX which you plan on using, is the post 2018 Bonded variety ?
As you note, the problem with factory ammo, especially in vintage doubles, is regulation. Plus, assuming one can find such a load, practice gets to be a tad expensive.

I have a couple of boxes of DGS if you'd like to trade for softs.
Thanks for the offer - however I only have 100 bullets, so will hold onto those.

I use cast bullets and reduced loads for much of my practice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeonardoOy

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….