Snakes on the plains

Snakes really scare me and thats the reason I wear longs on a hunt, not just the flimsy things, but the heavier canvas ones. Stats show that the vast majority of bites in the bush are to the ankle or lower leg. If you must wear shorts, consider puttees as they did in the old days. Here in the police in the old days they wore leather calf shrouds, must have been hellish hot though.
View attachment 366432
I’ll bet they were hot. I’ll bet it was worth it though. I wonder how scarred up those things were by the end of their career. It would be interesting to know how many times they were saved by those shrouds.

I’ve never been scared of snakes but if you want to see how fast I can run and how many walls I can break through, just dangle a spider in front of me. You won’t hear me scream though, only a dog would be able to hear that high of a pitch.

Have you ever had a snake play an unexpected part in your hunt?

While I was hunting in Africa, thankfully I did not. My PH however, chose a very inopportune time to describe the various evil attributes of the Black Mamba...in an area known to hold them. (Not cool bro!!) I don’t mind snakes. No phobias or anything but that doesn’t mean I’m thrilled about being pursued by a basilisk through rough terrain either.

I have encountered them elsewhere while hunting though. Even if you’re not spooked by them as a general rule, their sudden appearance at the time you least expect can still fill your shorts whether you choose to admit or discuss the fact or not.

I lived it South Dakota for a few years. Whitetail, Mule deer, and Pronghorn were fairly prevalent where I lived west of the Missouri River. Rolling hills and river breaks as a rule vs the flat lands of the east side. Prairie Rattle Snakes lived there too. Fairly common. Enough so that you never bent down to pick up anything without giving it a bump with your foot.

Badgers could be a problem in our wheat fields. The mounds they built up were an issue for the equipment. I became fairly adept at snaring and trapping to remove the problem. Those mounds also were a pretty darn good stopping point during a belly crawl stalk on game. I had glassed a nice antelope in a valley on the far side of a hill that happened to have a badger mound at the top which I had trapped out and was in the perfect position to not only keep me hidden, but it also makes a great gun rest.
It was a hot sunny day again. Down to a T-shirt I scampered up as far as I could without being seen. Now it was time to hit the dirt. What little breeze there was blew from the target critter toward me so I wasn’t worried about being winded. However, that also meant with a hill between us, I had zero breeze. Not only was I soaked to the boys but I became quite the dirt and dust collector as well. Oh well, great camo I guess. I should blend in nicely with the badger mount if I get there prior to a heat stroke.
I only had to belly crawl for about 30 yards but at the time it seems a whole lot farther. I finally got to the mound and tried to peek over. I couldn’t quiiite see yet so I reached out with my left hand for a grip on something to pull myself forward another foot or two. I found it. The edge of the badger hole. Yeah. The hole. Forgot about the hole. Seems you can’t have a badger mound without a badger HOLE!!!
I knew that. I also knew that you never disturb a badger hole on a sunny day even if you know for certain that it does NOT contain a badger because it MAY contain a rattle snake...or snakes shading themselves from the sun.
Have you ever had a rattle snake blow up a few feet from you? I have. It’s loud.
Have you ever had a rattle snake blow up one foot from your face?. I have. It’s deafening.
Have you ever had a whole bunch of rattle snakes blow up in a hole that you just grabbed the edge of one foot from your face? I have. It’s sh** and git explosive.
I never saw them. Thankfully.
I never felt them. More thankfully. Though, seriously, I could feel the ground vibrate. No joke.
But the convulsive contortions my body did to remove itself from the situation in the flight portion of the fight or flight reflex was as impressive as it was involuntary.
When I returned to my body, I found myself 20 feet or so back down the hill. I honestly can not tell you exactly how I got there that fast but I’m glad nature took over and removed me from the situation because there was no time to mull it over and devise a plan. Without an antelope I returned to my truck covered in dirt and sweat and not entirely certain yet if one or more bodily functions had activated during my out-of-body experience.

Someday I’ll go back and get my gun.

If anyone has a little more macho experience with a snake than mine, I’d like to hear it.
if anyone has a little less macho experience with a snake than mine, I need to hear it.
@Randy
What's got 100 balls and screws snakes.
A 12 gauge shotgun.
Bob.

I was out last summer looking for a meat deer. I came around a hillside down low, and spotted 2 fallow feeding out in the open a couple of hundred metres away.

I dropped down into the little creek (mostly dry with occasional puddles), and started to crawl along below the lip of the creek. keeping down and moving fairly quickly along, not paying a lot of attention to anything other than the wind and the location of the deer, I suddenly realised I had crawled up to within arms reach of a fairly fat red bellied black snake that was sunning itself near one of the puddles, possibly hunting frogs.

It was a strange experience, I dont like snakes, but I dont fear them, I've killed hundreds of browns and tiger snakes on the farm as a kid, but this moment, it seemed to slow down, and with a strange clarity, it felt like we made eye contact, agreed to let each other be, he slid away, and I carried on crawling.

I got to the spot I wanted to get to, shot the deer, and then suddenly thought "shit, that was close....."

I think at the time I decided he was ok, given he was a red belly, and they are generally not aggressive, and do eat the bastard snakes like tiger snakes and browns.

A month or so later I came across a tiger snake in nearly the same spot, and he didnt get the same courtesy. They are an aggressive prick of a snake, so I shot him. I hunt that area with my 8 year old, so am happy to leave the "nice" snakes, but not tiger snakes

Theres been plenty of times I've come across snakes out hunting, including a mamba crossing the road in front of the bakkie, and a viper very close to my guides leg in the kalahari, but this one was pretty memorable
@ Northwest9
Lucky it was a redbelly If'n it was a tiger or king Brown it would have been a different story. You might have been relaying with your harp and wings.
Bob

Not really a close call but I used to do snake demos with a good friend who owns the local snake park (Snake City). I did the constrictors mostly and he did the venomous. I was used to handling and being around the snakes.

He had a cage of around 3m x 3m we took to trade fairs / shows etc. This was the deadly dozen cage with green mamba, various cobras, boomslang, puff adder and one or two others. We didn't take the black mamba as they heat up pretty quickly and are too fast and unpredictable.

As I never handled these snakes I was happy to be around them but not too close and preferably with a glass pane between us. At this particular show (I had only just started helping out there) I was not part of the demo but I did go and visit the stand. I asked where Clive was and they said in the cage. Not thinking too much or not thinking at all I stepped into the cage when invited to chat. It must have been a good five minutes before I actually realised where I was! It's at that time you REALLY start being aware of your surroundings!

I have never had any real scares with a snake. Usually I instinctively decapitate them. I stepped on a timber rattlesnake leading a hiking group of high school kids. It felt strange like stepping on an unexpected large rope. It coiled to strike the person behind me, I distracted it and absorbed the strike into the sole of the boot then pinned and decapitated it.

A spider got the best of me once. Not a very big nor overly poisonous one, just brown about the size of my palm. I stepped into the web in the dark and it got all hung up in my beard. As I swore and stepped back, I turned on the flashlight to find the web destroyed and this thing running all over my shirt. So naturally being calm, cool, and collected I proceeded to throw my gun one way and my flashlight the other. In a cool headed and orderly fashion I then commenced to wriggle and jump about while expeditiously disrobing and departing the area in great haste. At some point later I returned in a fresh set of clothes to perform a thorough search of the area and recovery of my belongings and resume my life.

I have never had any real scares with a snake. Usually I instinctively decapitate them. I stepped on a timber rattlesnake leading a hiking group of high school kids. It felt strange like stepping on an unexpected large rope. It coiled to strike the person behind me, I distracted it and absorbed the strike into the sole of the boot then pinned and decapitated it.

A spider got the best of me once. Not a very big nor overly poisonous one, just brown about the size of my palm. I stepped into the web in the dark and it got all hung up in my beard. As I swore and stepped back, I turned on the flashlight to find the web destroyed and this thing running all over my shirt. So naturally being calm, cool, and collected I proceeded to throw my gun one way and my flashlight the other. In a cool headed and orderly fashion I then commenced to wriggle and jump about while expeditiously disrobing and departing the area in great haste. At some point later I returned in a fresh set of clothes to perform a thorough search of the area and recovery of my belongings and resume my life.
:ROFLMAO: I would have lost my mind on the spider.

I’ll bet they were hot. I’ll bet it was worth it though. I wonder how scarred up those things were by the end of their career. It would be interesting to know how many times they were saved by those shrouds.

I’ve never been scared of snakes but if you want to see how fast I can run and how many walls I can break through, just dangle a spider in front of me. You won’t hear me scream though, only a dog would be able to hear that high of a pitch.

Not afraid of snakes, or spiders or any other crawling bug, except big roaches. You want to see this 58 year old man move like spider man, it happens every time there is a big roach in our back patio. I would scream like a little b*tch if one would land on me. Oh and have a superhuman sense, and I can see them move in the dark, or smell them. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I've proved that I can see them in the dark. :) My wife hates tree frogs, so we made a pack, I take care of the frogs and she takes care of the man-eating roaches. (y):LOL:

Many, many years ago, I was hunting in the Big Cypress in FL. I had seen these huge monster size grasshoppers, but not a close encounter. Well, somehow one fell inside my shirt, and I didn't what the hell was in there, all I could feel were the sharp legs sticking my back. I quickly and as sexy as I could, got naked trying to figure out what the hell was inside my shirt. I found the culprit, and stomped on it with a vengeance for scaring me the way it did. Luckily I was the only soul within 100 miles (exaggeration) and this is before cell phones too, otherwise I would have been all over the internet. This is what those monster grasshoppers look like. and those are juveniles compared to one I dealt with. .

grasshopper.max-640x480.png

Many, many years ago, I was hunting in the Big Cypress in FL. I had seen these huge monster size grasshoppers, but not a close encounter. Well, somehow one fell inside my shirt, and I didn't what the hell was in there, all I could feel were the sharp legs sticking my back. I quickly and as sexy as I could, got naked trying to figure out what the hell was inside my shirt. I found the culprit, and stomped on it with a vengeance for scaring me the way it did. Luckily I was the only soul within 100 miles (exaggeration) and this is before cell phones too, otherwise I would have been all over the internet. This is what those monster grasshoppers look like. and those are juveniles compared to one I dealt with. .

View attachment 366623
When I was in grade school we used to get blueberries in little plastic cups in the cafeteria. We'd keep them to catch grasshoppers in and show them to each other. I can imagine the prickly legs on your back must've been quite the motivation to get free of that shirt. We never caught any that big though. Those are plague sized.

Spent 3 days in hospital after a copperhead nailed me. 4 courses of anti venom. I hate the bastards.

Spent 3 days in hospital after a copperhead nailed me. 4 courses of anti venom. I hate the bastards.
Yikes! No permanent damage I hope.

One thing that surprised me a bit, at least where I lived at the time, was that I could get antivenin vaccinations for my dog...but not for myself. :Bored:

Based on the toxicity of the different snake venoms , I have read that very rarely are Copper Head bites lethal. Also, more people are bitten in the US by Copper Heads than by any other snake. Sneaky little bastards.

@WAB, how bad was the pain and recovery? Any permanent tissue damage? You have any pictures of the bite? Just curious, I've always been fascinated by snakes, specially venomous ones.

Based on the toxicity of the different snake venoms , I have read that very rarely are Copper Head bites lethal. Also, more people are bitten in the US by Copper Heads than by any other snake. Sneaky little bastards.

@WAB, how bad was the pain and recovery? Any permanent tissue damage? You have any pictures of the bite? Just curious, I've always been fascinated by snakes, specially venomous ones.

The pain is incredible, like you’re being injected with fire. No permanent damage other than some loss of feeling. It was big for a copperhead, 29”.

Interesting side note, copperheads, rattlers and moccasins are all bit vipers. The anti venom and treatment are the same for all three.

Thanks for sharing. I had heard the pain is incredible. Oh man, that was a big Copper Head. Where did it bite you?

I see Mr. Smith & Wesson won that battle. :LOL:

Them sneaky bastards like to hang out in flower beds and bushes. I keep telling my wife to be careful. We have them here in GA.

A couple of years back, we were on a family float trip with some friends. One evening early in the trip, I was enjoying an adult beverage sitting at camp. My wife noticed a neighboring camper flailing a stick at a snake and called for me to help. I have respect for snakes, but I don’t fear them. I have caught numerous poisonous species in the past.

This particular snake looked to be a bull snake to me. Oh, I did not have my glasses on either. I caught this particular snake to keep it from being killed.
No problem with catching it. One of the neighboring campers wanted a better look at the head.

I made the mistake of using my left hand to help adjust my grasp on the head.
I was astounded to see it turn, open it’s mouth, and sink a fang in a finger on my left hand. I couldn’t believe it had fangs!

One of the campers saw this and said “ that thing bit you.” I replied “nope”.

I released the snake away from the campsites. It had done nothing wrong. I only let my wife and kids know I had been bitten. It was not a full bite by any means. One fang made slight penetration in the index finger of my left hand.

My hand began to swell. We were to swim the following day. I stayed in the shade the following day and relaxed. By the second day, the swelling began to subside and paddling was not a problem.

I did learn my lesson. If you want a better look at the head. You catch it.

I still do not know what species that snake was.

Thanks for sharing. I had heard the pain is incredible. Oh man, that was a big Copper Head. Where did it bite you?

Left index finger. Two fellows I know lost that finger to snakes, one to a Mozambique spitting cobra, the other to a puff adder. What is it with those bastards and the left index finger?

Hand and arm swelled up like a balloon and a black line ran from the bite up to my armpit, obviously a major blood vessel, not sure what turns it black?

And yes, Mr. S&W and I had the last word in the dispute.

What do they have for "Spiders"???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NellMlh187

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani