Small or Large Outfits-which one does one pick?

So far for me in five trips it has all been the smaller camps. Where I or my group were the only ones in camp and on the property.
I can get along with about anyone but haven't shared a camp with someone outside my group in Africa. I have here in the states and will never again. I can't tiller at the ones who are loud and heavy drinkers. That's one reason I stick to smaller camps and personalize service. I do tip camp accordingly also.
+1

While the outfitter/PH is very important, I first start my search considering the primary animals I want to hunt. You can have the best outfitter or PH in Africa but if they/he doesn’t offer the species or quality of the species I am looking for, they are off the list for the trip I am currently planning.

My second consideration is the area and country. Not all areas that offer the species I am interested in are created equal. Once you’ve been around a while and talking to other experienced hunters, you start to figure these things out and you hear a lot of good information. Talking with the PHs on your previous hunts about species, areas, countries and other outfitters can also be a gold mine of information.

Most concessions are operated by just one outfitter but quite often allow other PHs to book clients. As for PHs, I can get along with about anybody and I’ve only had one PH that I didn’t enjoy. The best concessions usually have outstanding PHs.

That is a similar experience I had in whitetail hunt in South Alabama. I had done a tone of research and arrived to find myself sharing a house with 30 other guys, it was awful experience, after two days, I left. Thank you for sharing.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 8.01.59 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 8.01.59 AM Large.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 8.02.00 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 8.02.00 AM Large.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 8.02.01 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 8.02.01 AM Large.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 8.02.02 AM 1 Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 8.02.02 AM 1 Large.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 8.02.02 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 8.02.02 AM Large.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 8.02.03 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 8.02.03 AM Large.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 34
I prefer smaller operations where I and whoever is with me are the only hunters in camp. I’ve only hunted South Africa once, with Spear Safaris, who is a sponsor here. They were excellent and I’d happily hunt with Ernest Dyason again someday. Even on that hunt, my family were the only guests in camp.

In all other countries I’ve hunted, I’ve always been alone or only had a friend or family in camp with me. I really prefer hunting on big, open wild areas where dangerous game is present. To me, that’s the African hunting I crave.

I’ve got a hunt coming up in six weeks, in Tanzania’s Selous Game Reserve. I’ll be hunting with my son and a very good long time friend who is going to Africa for the first time at 79 years old. He and my son are each mainly looking to shoot two buffalo, while I have a full bag. I’m sharing my bag with my son, so he might take more than just Buffalo. Alan Vincent, whom I’ve known for literally 40 years, will be our PH. My buddy will be hunting with another PH from the same camp. My son and friend will be leaving after 10 days while I stay a week longer. Just our group, sleeping under canvas in a huge truly wild area teeming with a variety of dangerous game, is exactly how I prefer my African hunts.

Last edited:
Depends...for example if I were after leopard. If ONE guy runs the operation, and if he has a client the week before you arrive, HE HAS HAD NO FREE TIME TO KILL BAIT OR HANG IT FOR YOUR HUNT!! Grrrrr. Doesn't matter if you have paid for it in advance, there is only one of him, and you show up to nothing prepared and very little chance of success. Plus, he probably cannot AFFORD to make things right if things go wrong, or even hire someone else to help in advance so things don't go wrong in the first place. So, it might work out--but with a larger outfit there are more to take up the slack and get it done for you.
I agree. I definitely prefer a larger operation who have the resources to smooth things out that you wouldn’t even know were a problem in the first place.
The perfect situation is where you book through a smaller PH owned operation who then uses a larger outfit, so you get all of his dedicated attention but with the larger logistical support.
The worst experience I have ever had was a youngish couple who were underfunded and clearly on their last dime. The camp was scrap - leaking tents, a cheap supermarket gazebo over the ‘kitchen’ that promptly crumpled and blew away. The ablution was in the open, thrown together. Just a piece of rusty tin covering a bit of it. Disaster.

As to others in camp, no problem, I enjoy diverse company but I can imagine a loud obnoxious type would spoil that rapidly. Therefore as a general rule only go with who you know.

I prefer small, with the owner in camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kubetlaw

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.