Slow burning powder and a 23" barrel

570 gr @ 2450 fps and muzzle brake removed. Wow! Who's shoulder broke? Yours or the bison's?
My rifle is magnaported, which reduces muzzle jump dramatically, but does little for actual recoil. Magnaport required me to have the barrel cryo treated before they would perform the actual porting. Apparently they had some problems with a prior A2 barrel.

You want to make sure that you have your feet planted securely before you touch off a round. In the top image I was also using one of Andy’s Rhodesian slings, which are very helpful in controlling muzzle jump.

570 gr @ 2450 fps and muzzle brake removed. Wow! Who's shoulder broke? Yours or the bison's?
Hah ! First shot broke the bison's offside shoulder at about 50 yards,
570 grainer was closer to 2300 fps at impact.
Both cape buffalo that I have hit similarly rose like rodeo bulls on impact.
Not the bison.
Here is my current buffalo buster, the .500 Mbogo aka the .510/.470 Mbogo 3-Inch:

zzz010.jpg

It weighs 9.25 lbs bare and empty.
Pac-Nor No. 6 Sporter 23" long and 1:9" twist, B&C stocked, CZ 550 Magnum.
Subsonic or Mach-2 bullets of 50 BMG ilk for plinking,
or 450-grainers at 2800 fps MV for buffalo bashing,
however, 2650 fps MV with a 450-grain GSC HV proved sufficient to levitate a cape buffalo about 6 feet above ground:

000.jpg
P1000204.jpg
P1000205.jpg

Hah ! First shot broke the bison's offside shoulder at about 50 yards,
570 grainer was closer to 2300 fps at impact.
Both cape buffalo that I have hit similarly rose like rodeo bulls on impact.
Not the bison.
Here is my current buffalo buster, the .500 Mbogo aka the .510/.470 Mbogo 3-Inch:

View attachment 599120
It weighs 9.25 lbs bare and empty.
Pac-Nor No. 6 Sporter 23" long and 1:9" twist, B&C stocked, CZ 550 Magnum.
Subsonic or Mach-2 bullets of 50 BMG ilk for plinking,
or 450-grainers at 2800 fps MV for buffalo bashing,
however, 2650 fps MV with a 450-grain GSC HV proved sufficient to levitate a cape buffalo about 6 feet above ground:

View attachment 599128View attachment 599129View attachment 599130
You got the right rings on that rig but they look a bit high? Maybe just the angle of the photo. Warne low QD rings are nearly the same height as Weaver medium rings.

You and I are at the age where it is important to keep in mind the not entirely remote possibility for spontaneous retina detachments. I can speak from extensive personal experience on that issue ... very painful and nearly blinding personal experience. If you plan to play with mega-heavy recoil, please familiarize yourself with the sneaky symptoms for tears and detachments. As I have pointed out on other threads, it's a medical emergency that WILL NOT wait for a flight back to this side of the pond. And even if it was possible to find an eye surgeon somewhere in Africa in time to do a vitrectomy and repair a detachment, the patient won't be getting on a plane again for six weeks. Takes that long for the nitrous oxide bubble to dissipate. Anyone in our age group who has diabetes is definitely throwing the dice shooting heavy recoil guns.

Ontario Hunter,
If you are talking about the Warne QD lever rings on the buffalo bosses,
those are Warne's LOW, which they do not make anymore for the CZ 550 Magnum rifle.
They are so low that the Leupold 2.5x20 ocular bell size is the only thing small enough to allow the bolt to be worked.
Can't get any lower.
I gave that scope and rings to an appy PH when I left. Wish I still had it !

The OEM CZ rings on the other .500 Mbogo are necessary with the goll-darned fat 30mm tubes and big ocular bells of today.
Being horizontally split is recommended for strength over any of the Talley and Warne vertically split rings.
The main mounting bolts in the base of the rings is replaced with a socket-head screw.
I carry the QD-QD-lever in my pants pocket. It is an Allen wrench.

As for the rest:
Thank God I am not diabetic, yet !
I am an MD, know the risks.

Last edited:
Looks like you're having fun! I miss my 505 Gibbs.

FWIW, chasing velocity in a true big bore DG rifle is a waste of time and powder. Close range shooting is the norm and shot placement and penetration is better at moderate velocities.

Just a thot…

Holy cow (see what I did there?)
My shoulder cringes looking at some of those beefy cartridges.

You could almost run some DU rounds to put down some tanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfredoYua

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.