Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
Namibia (X2), Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
I was browsing one of the main online firearms sites and came upon this new Mauser 98 Expert. I was slobbering over the pictures, since I’m a walnut enthusiast. Then I saw the 2 attached photos and was shocked. I know pictures can‘t be relied upon 100%, but the inletting around the action and barrel in these pics appears to be really shoddy. The gap is huge and there are gouges in the edges. I took a new Model 70 Super Grade off the rack for comparison. There IS no comparison. The M70‘s inletting is perfect, and the price I paid for it was about 11% of what the Mauser costs. The new Mausers aren’t custom guns, but they are a luxury item. I don’t know if this one slipped through QC but it is NOT worth $14k IMO. Hopefully it’s a one-off and not indicative of the whole model line.

Am I being too picky?

58B3B1E9-2D72-42CE-AABA-E1FDA15D4179.jpeg
04C6EF2E-E3C7-4FB8-B5C1-8AAA7123F175.jpeg

All of them that I have seen were beautifully done, like you said, it might be the picture.

Not sure if that’s any better

No you are not being picky, that is terrible workmanship. Are you saying this is from the factory? Or has someone had a go at it?

It’s a brand new rifle.

Seems all of the Mausers listed on GI have the same issue to some degree. The Rigby versions listed don’t have the inletting gaps. Interesting. The Mauser is a bit less expensive, but when a rifle costs over 10 grand, flawless inletting is expected. At least I expect it.

The one I had recently was flawless.
Good to hear! I see in your other post that it’s a shooter too. Even better.

I‘m still puzzled by the photos of the inletting of the rifles listed on GI. All of them are from the same seller and it looks like the inletting is subpar. Hopefully just an aberration.

Good to hear! I see in your other post that it’s a shooter too. Even better.

I‘m still puzzled by the photos of the inletting of the rifles listed on GI. All of them are from the same seller and it looks like the inletting is subpar. Hopefully just an aberration.

Based on the photos posted it looks like the seller is JD Outfitters in Oklahoma? Jerry is a straight shooter and a great guy to deal with--I'd send him a message and ask. I believe he maintains pretty close contact with the manufacturers (I know he does with Sako, Steyr Mannlicher, and Parkwest, at least), so it's possible he either has an answer or could request one from Mauser.

I agree that the inletting looks unusual in those pictures.

You wouldn’t have to compare it to a Super Grade to beat that. Heck most kit muzzleloaders could match it. Someone will buy it though.
I did rust blue on doubles at one time and a friend contacted me and told me he had a buddy who had a Dickson round action he wanted the barrels redone on and asked what I’d charge him. I told him I had 5 other guns almost ready and if he wanted to bring me the gun I’d do it with the others, no charge, since it was for his buddy. He told me he wouldn’t go for it because he was one of those guys that more expensive means better. He sent the barrels to London at a huge expense instead.
The following year my friend called me up to tell me he and his buddy had been on a pheasant shoot that weekend and he had his Dickson back. His friend complained of the cost and the fact he wasn’t happy at all with the results. He wished they looked like the barrels of my friend’s AH Fox. My friend told him his were redone too. He asked by whom and my buddy told him, “that same guy that offered to do yours for free”, LOL!
But it sounds so much better to say “I sent it to London” rather than a guy in Piney.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoracioXwh

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg