Silent Witness

DrBob

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Zim
Got a text from a close friend visiting relatives on one of the islands down in Southeastern Alaska. The first picture led to the other three as they all were puzzled by what the rifle was.... no one had an idea. Here is the story... the relative was hiking on a close by island when just off the trail he saw something strange sticking out of the ground. This was really in the back woods and not at all well traveled. Likely no one had been in that area for some time. As you can see it had been out in the weather for a long time. From the action and octagon barrel it is a Savage 1899 and most likely in 303 Savage. The wood furniture had long ago rotted away. .

I can only come up with a dire story as no one would intentionally leave the rifle especially with this being coastal brown bear territory. The action is empty and open. What happened? I would say it happened a long time ago and lost in time as probable the person carrying it was. There is an Alaskan term for this...gone missing.

99A.jpg
99B.jpg
99C.jpg
99D.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a text from a close friend visiting relatives on one of the islands down in Southeastern Alaska. The first picture led to the other three as they all were puzzled by what the rifle was.... no one had an idea. Here is the story... the relative was hiking on a close by island when just off the trail he saw something strange sticking out of the ground. This was really in the back woods and not at all well traveled. Likely no one had been in that area for some time. As you can see it had been out in the weather for a long time. From the action and octagon barrel it is a Savage 1899 and most likely in 303 Savage. The wood furniture had long ago rotted away. .

I can only come up with a dire story as no one would intentionally leave the rifle especially with this being coastal brown bear territory. The action is empty and open. What happened? I would say it happened a long time ago and lost in time as probable the person carrying it was. There is an Alaskan term for this...gone missing.

View attachment 603189View attachment 603190View attachment 603191View attachment 603192
@DrBob - I’m impressed that you are able to identify the make/manufacturer…. Now go shoot it and follow up with a Range Report !!

Real world field report: Didn't use enough gun
Real world range report: shooter and rifle both a little rusty.

Remember the use of the Savage 22 High Power on tigers? Identification was easy with the octagon barrel. I usually hunt in Alaska with either a 375 H&H or 9.3x62. Next black bear hunt I may take my 99 in 300 Savage or the one I had rebarreled in 6.5-308 B.C. .... Before Carmichel. I've thought about buying a 303 Savage. The 99 was so far ahead of its time. Thanks for the posting!

@DrBob - I’m impressed that you are able to identify the make/manufacturer…. Now go shoot it and follow up with a Range Report !!

two old 22s family history, 22 pistol found in the desert and arms throw off the road.

R R.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8dayexpress

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg