Short action magnums

Bertram Brass will have all the WSM variants for you.

I was messing around with a short mag thumper but never moved forward with it (yet)

9FE3D021-5DE5-4804-B0F6-AAA98AC7EDF2.jpeg
A9C687D9-4265-404C-AD94-E66615F80CC1.jpeg
81056162-BC0E-45D2-B0EF-A8D5AA0DD580.jpeg

358 Winchester is another caliber that I'm looking very closely at. It seems to fit the build very well and buffalo bore keeps a good stock of 225 gr soft points that leave s 22" barrel at about 2500 fps do even in a 20" that would still be mid 2400s. My only concern is even though most of my hunting is between 50&200 yds, if that shot presents itself at 300ish like sometimes happens will the .358 win be up to it?
Hmm, the 300 yards definitely adds another dimension to your thought provoking project.
I have just never considered the higher intensity bores smaller than .375 for 20" candidates. I am certainly not saying anything wrong with it.

The 350 Remington certainly seems to do well with the 20" barrel. If I recall correctly the 338 RCM also does well. It would be interesting to see how the 325 WSM would do with 20". Though, I am not curious enough to go below 22" with mine. I would guess 2600-2650 fps would still be feasible with a 200 grain bullet. Possibly even 2700 fps or more. That would give roughly an allowance of 200 fps loss for 4" less barrel than the 24".

Not applicable to your build but, I am in the process of having an approximate 19.5" 35 Whelen put together. Maximum intended use is 230 yds. Which is about three times the distance of visibility where I intend to carry this rifle.

T
Hmm, the 300 yards definitely adds another dimension to your thought provoking project.
I have just never considered the higher intensity bores smaller than .375 for 20" candidates. I am certainly not saying anything wrong with it.

The 350 Remington certainly seems to do well with the 20" barrel. If I recall correctly the 338 RCM also does well. It would be interesting to see how the 325 WSM would do with 20". Though, I am not curious enough to go below 22" with mine. I would guess 2600-2650 fps would still be feasible with a 200 grain bullet. Possibly even 2700 fps or more. That would give roughly an allowance of 200 fps loss for 4" less barrel than the 24".

Not applicable to your build but, I am in the process of having an approximate 19.5" 35 Whelen put together. Maximum intended use is 230 yds. Which is about three times the distance of visibility where I intend to carry this rifle.
Though the 300 yd shots are rare, there is a couple of valleys in the area I hunt that provide a bit of a longer shot and seem to attract large black bear now and then

T

Though the 300 yd shots are rare, there is a couple of valleys in the area I hunt that provide a bit of a longer shot and seem to attract large black bear now and then

The Buffalo Bore 358 still holds 1700 ft lbs at 300. Standard 165gr 308 win is advertised for 1650 at 300, which is a factory number and will not get that high. Would anyone not shoot a bear with a 308 at 300 yards?... didn't think so.

The Buffalo Bore 358 still holds 1700 ft lbs at 300. Standard 165gr 308 win is advertised for 1650 at 300, which is a factory number and will not get that high. Would anyone not shoot a bear with a 308 at 300 yards?... didn't think so.
Very valid point! I didn't think that much into it. I might not have to go with a magnum. That puts the .358 win back up to a very good possibility!

I would like to put together a 20" barrel quick handling short action magnum woods gun. I originally wanted a .350 Remington Magnum, but it seemed to be dead unless you have a custom rifle and already have a stock of brass. I would like to stick to a medium bore. I'm thinking maybe either .338 rcm or .325 wsm. It will be used for black bear and elk. Maybe one day might bring it to Alaska for moose but that's later on. What do you guys be think?
@MISportsman
Ruger make a nice 20 inch gun in 375 ruger mag and 416. A bit of overkill but works. You could slways down load to meat your needs.

I have both and wouldn't trade either. I have killed Bear ( a lot of) also Moose and Deer and one Elk with the 350. Haven't got to try the 325 on anything yet!
@Graham Hunter
It's hard to go past a good 35 cal.
Gets the job done no fuss no bother. Even the original 350 rem mag was loaded with 200gr bullets that Remington beefed up so they would handle moose and other big game.
Bob

That would fit the bill perfectly, but I forget one minor detail when I started the thread. I have a short action savage 110 action that I picked up cheap at a gun show that I am using for this project. I have researched barrels in all of the short action calibers mentioned and they can be made without braking the bank as with a savage 110 short action bolt with a magnum bolt face.
@MISportsman
As you have a,Savage short action I would not go past the 358 Winchester using Paco Kelly's loads. Put it up there near the mighty Whelen. @Rick HOlbert sings the praises of those loads and used it in Africa with great success.
If you can't find brass easy fixed. Just run 308 brass thru a Lee full length size die and you have 358 win. Shaw's prefit Savage barrels are relatively cheap and a ten minute job to fit.
Underrated but punches well above its weight
Bob

Imo 20" is too short for a magnum. All you are going to get is a super loud 30-06 / 35 Whelan whose muzzleblast could produce a bigger flinch than recoil energy.

I do like the 338 federal, it seems to be the 308 case family's sweet spot. Ammo hard to get? A little easier to find at retail than 325wsm and half the cost.

Not a bolt action - but imo it is hard to beat a Browning BLR lever action in 300 wsm 22" for what you are looking for. I think 22" is a good compromise of velocity and muzzleblast.
But the 358 winchester is a great choice too for a woods gun. Not a lot of ammo choices, but that big heavy cup/core is a workhorse and you can always find a custom ammo maker at a very fair price due to very common components
@curtism1234 The 358 ain't no woods cartridge. It can be used quite happily out to 300 yards.
So I don't see why people think it's just a bush round
Bob

Yes, Bobby. That’s why man invented hearing protection more than 70 years ago.
@Hunter -Habib
True but how many people wear ear muffs while hunting. That would be akin to wearing hobnail boots for a hundred yard sprint. Can be done but not really practical.

@Hunter -Habib
True but how many people wear ear muffs while hunting. That would be akin to wearing hobnail boots for a hundred yard sprint. Can be done but not really practical.
And how many shots does one typically fire during each hunt, Bobby ? And at what frequency ? Certainly not enough to make a man deaf.

Wish i had some 50 years ago , but too late now, what did you say!!!.
@rdog
Can you type louder isn't read it.
My hearing is stuffed from to many 303 rounds and other plus industrial noises haven't done my hearing any good. Shit 50 years ago no one had heard of ear muffs in Oz. 60 years ago my father's pistol club shot matches without them and I was always there with him.
Bob

@rdog
Can you type louder isn't read it.
My hearing is stuffed from to many 303 rounds and other plus industrial noises haven't done my hearing any good. Shit 50 years ago no one had heard of ear muffs in Oz. 60 years ago my father's pistol club shot matches without them and I was always there with him.
Bob
When i was in Vietnam we lived in a tent line across the road from a Us army 155 mm arty battery , when they had a night time fire mission the stretcher that you slept on lifted off the ground. i only weighed 68 kg then .

I have a 358 and like it a lot. Problem is finding reloading components. There are good bullets our there but they are hard to find in stock at times. I assume you'd hsve the same challenge with the 8mm (325 ) size. If it was my project I would go for a 338 or 308 bore.

And how many shots does one typically fire during each hunt, Bobby ? And at what frequency ? Certainly not enough to make a man deaf.
@Hunter-Habib
Even one at the right level can permanently damage your hearing.
A 18 inch barrel on a 303 scrub gun hunting pigs gets your ears to ringing after a few shots. Back in the late 70s to early 80s it was nothing to go thru 300 rounds of 303 in a weekend hunting pigs out west when they were a problem. Used to go home with a headache or was that from the after hunt Bundy rums. Maybe both. As I said earmuffs back then we're very uncommon and ina lot of circles unheard of.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZGTS

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob