Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
I’ll write up a report soon
I need to use practice computer instead of my IPhone

IMG_2564.JPG
IMG_2567.JPG
IMG_2570.JPG
IMG_2572.JPG
IMG_2574.JPG
IMG_2514.JPG
IMG_2513.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on a fine trophy! That knife is beautiful!

Good shooting to have him fall just where there was a log to sit on for the skinning.;);)

Well I didn’t use the log / Just bent over - shirt was literally soaked with perspiration. Just so humid before the wet season rolled in.

Heck I would use whatever was there that was any help in this conditions. I spent a year in the bush cutting sleepers (a bit further south) and know how debilitation the heat can be without adding in the humidity so hats off for the effort.

Congrats on a nice trophy! Your Von Gruff knife is very cool too!

An awesome time in the bush! Congratulations! That is one rough looking old scrub bull!

Fire up that computer and tell us a story, we want to know about the hunt, what did you do with the back straps and some specs on the Von Gruff, style, handle and why did you choose that one?
Are the Aussie Woodleigh projectiles performing to your expectations?

Looking forward to hearing the story!

Fire up that computer and tell us a story, we want to know about the hunt, what did you do with the back straps and some specs on the Von Gruff, style, handle and why did you choose that one?
Are the Aussie Woodleigh projectiles performing to your expectations?

I haven’t had enough experience with the Woodleighs yet to determine. Woodleigh Bullets dent me 450 grain protected point Bullets to test (416 Remington) but ss yet I haven’t reloaded.
I’ll be writing up the hunt by tomorrow.

Thanks for the pictures, anxious for the story!!

Beautiful knife! What wood is the handle made from?
@Von Gruff what angle bevel do you use for the knife blade?
That is some spalted eucalyptus and on the full flat blades I do the secondary bevel at 20* to balance the edge strength and slicing capability.

So far all of my VG knives are from the same wood.
Von Gruff you should explain what the wood is - splated

That is some spalted eucalyptus and on the full flat blades I do the secondary bevel at 20* to balance the edge strength and slicing capability.

The knives o have bought
IMG_2392.JPG

IMG_2391.JPG
IMG_2513.JPG
IMG_2514.JPG
IMG_0613.JPG
guarded by
Fierce Jess

And this pair Ray. The PH EDC's with buff horn and spalted eucalyptus
IMG_20191118_114705.jpg

SPALTING

Spalting
is any form of wood coloration caused by fungi. Found primarily in dead trees with Pigmentation being caused when fungi produce extracellular pigments inside wood. Dark dotting, winding lines and thin streaks of red, brown and black are known as zone lines. This type of spalting does not occur due to any specific type of fungus, but is instead an interaction zone in which different fungi have erected barriers to protect their resources.
Conditions required for spalting are the same as the conditions required for fungal growth: fixed nitrogen, micronutrients, water, warm temperatures and oxygen.
Water: Wood must be saturated to a 20% mointure content or higher for fungal colonization to occur. Wood placed underwater lacks sufficient oxygen, and colonization cannot occur.
Temperature: The majority of fungi prefer warm temperatures between 10 and 40 °C, with rapid growth occurring between 20 and 32 °C.
Oxygen: Fungi do not require much oxygen, but conditions such as waterlogging will inhibit growth.

Last edited:
Von Gruff, I saw a Spalted Eucalypt here before but I thought the pattern was more spotted pattern in the timber. Would that be right?
They are all nice I just remembered that one . I also did not know what Spalted was I assumed it was a type/family’s of Eucalypt,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ByronCarus

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.