Scope for CZ 550 in .416 Rigby

BeMo

Reaction score
Member of
DSC
Hunted
South Africa
I am curious about some recommendations for a scope for my CZ 550 in .416 Rigby.
Mainly looking for good eye relief, large sight picture and durable enough to take the recoil.

Leupold vx3 1.5-5 is, in my opinion, the best bang for the buck. In the alternative, I have the Schmidt and Bender Exos 1-8 on quite a few of mine. My favorite. From memory only about 3.7” of ER. Nikon Monarch Africans are difficult to find, but a solid option.

I just received my new Leupold VX-6HD 1-6X24 CDS-ZL2 ILLUM. FIREDOT DUPLEX (Part # 171552). I haven’t used it yet in the field, but I’m quite impressed with it so far.

I just received my new Leupold VX-6HD 1-6X24 CDS-ZL2 ILLUM. FIREDOT DUPLEX (Part # 171552). I haven’t used it yet in the field, but I’m quite impressed with it so far.
I run the same on my CZ with Warne detachable rings.

RDT_20240507_2052098432945711786068493.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on your budget. Personally, I want to invest a decent amount in my scopes and my bullets...my boots and my binos. That's what does all of the work in a hunt. For me, and I have tried many options, I prefer the Swaro Z8i 1-8x. If I had to pick one scope for everything...that would be it. I have 3 on my DG rifles and there is no issue with recoil if you use good rings/mounts.

I need to scope my Cz .416 and I’m really wanting to know if the swaro z8 1.7-13x42 will fit….is there enough realestate on the tube for the magnum length cz550 ??

Could be an ideal choice, if not it’s the 1-8 z8 or an exos

Make certain you check length as some scopes with larger obj lenses are too short for CZs

What is your intended target and range...that should be your first question. Will this be your only rifle for this safari?

Closer ranges of 75 yards or less, I'd give serious consideration to a quality red dot like the Trijicon RMR-HD (battery change without optic removal) in an AHR QD mount. So it would look like this...
1715198673603.png

If you want a magnified optic, I'd highly recommend the following criteria. True 1x at low power setting, illuminated reticle, long eye relief and the best glass your money can buy. Some good choices are the Swaro Z6i EE (out of production but available used), Swaro Z8i 1-8x24 Leica Amplus 6 1-6x24, Zeiss Conquest V6 1-6x24, Trijicon Accupoint 1-6x24 or a Leupold VX5-HD/VX6-HD.

I'd highly recommend the Swaro and Leica for the upper tier but the Leupold will get you most of the way there without the same budgetary concerns. Remember, you will not be thinking about how much you paid for your scope when you are on the hunt. Get the absolute best glass you can afford. Buy once, cry once.

I have a Trijicon Accupoint 1-6x24 on my AHR CZ-550 375 H&H and like it enough that I'm going to put one on my Ruger RSM 416 Rigby too. My PH in the Kalahari had a CZ-550 in 416 Rigby, and he was going to put a Trijicon RMR-HD in an AHR QD mount I sent to him. His rifle was used to back clients on DG (Lion) hunts. The owner had a double with a red dot also.

I love a Swaro Z6i 1-6EE on a versatile range rifle. My 375 wears one. I put a Kahles Helia RD on a 458 Lott and under 100yds I love it. I’m keeping my eyes peeled for a second one to set up as a backup for my 375.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Link45

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?