SCI Record Book / Award Nomination Question

I walked over 40 miles through thorn bushes to take this herd bull in wild Mozambique...

It had 2 old poacher's bullets in it.

It didn't make bronze, but it means more to me than a gold taken inside a fence.

Again, I have no objections to ranch hunts, but there needs to be separate categories.

IMG_0564.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It would certainly satisfy both for the adventure and the record book would be the icing on the cake. Certainly not for just a score. And the outfit I'm going with averages @ 43in so entry should be a given. Though I was looking at some others on AH that advertise 47"+ Bulls and I was mainly curious if there was a difference in record book certification zim vs rsa etc. I've found out that it does not matter within the rules as long the herd is sustainable etc. What I'm learning as you've posted the guys that hunt say a 34in buff or a buff with no curls at all in other countries do it for the adventure of the hunt. Hunting marshy swamp buffalo vs bush buffalo vs plains or Savanah buffalo. All different hunts, all different experiences. And I too would love the opportunity to experience it all, hopefully in this lifetime.

Appreciate your insight.
For Rowland Ward, I think you’ll find most South African ranches will not meet the requirements. The South African definition of self sustaining can be very flexible while Rowland Ward’s will not be. When a 47” buffalo from a “self sustaining” herd is advertised along with color variants and 12 ft crocs and hippos in small ponds far from a river and separated by a high fence all on the same property some questions should get asked, especially after you drive past a few buffalo breeding operations.

For Rowland Ward, I think you’ll find most South African ranches will not meet the requirements. The South African definition of self sustaining can be very flexible while Rowland Ward’s will not be. When a 47” buffalo from a “self sustaining” herd is advertised along with color variants and 12 ft crocs and hippos in small ponds far from a river and separated by a high fence all on the same property some questions should get asked, especially after you drive past a few buffalo breeding operations.
Again, I hold no grudge against any hunter who takes any animal legally.

I have taken 10 animals on South African ranches and I'm proud of them and the wonderful safari company than made it happen (Adansonia). You have a great company, Mof!

But, to say that there is no difference, is simply foolish.

You hunt to have the adventure, not to get in a trophy book.
My nephew killed a Blacktail Buck a Mule Deer Buck & a Roosevelt Bull Elk when he was 15 Jim Shockey was the world’s greatest hunter that year, I thought it should have been my nephew, but he wasn’t hunting for awards he was hunting for fun

Again, I hold no grudge against any hunter who takes any animal legally.

I have taken 10 animals on South African ranches and I'm proud of them and the wonderful safari company than made it happen (Adansonia). You have a great company, Mof!

But, to say that there is no difference, is simply foolish.
There is a huge difference

There is a huge difference
There really isn’t a difference From a trophy perspective. The right amount of capital to contribute towards a hunt will yield you any animal you want, within reason. The less expensive version just happens In a fence and within a shorter period of time. Paint the pic with cash. the difference is in the experience, not the trophy.

Maybe, you are right (IDK).

If, (IYO), money equals time in the field, then, perhaps.

It doesn't, IMO.

Just, IMO.

CASH makes a great hunter!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hattie05G

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.