Save The Black Rhino! World Bank Launches Ground-breaking New Bond To Protect Endangered Species

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles

A ground-breaking bond has been launched in a bid to save the black rhino.

It will be sold by the World Bank later this year and investors will only be rewarded when rhino numbers rise in South Africa.

Black rhinos are endangered after years of hunting and poaching for their horns. There are just 5,500 around today – down from 65,000 in 1970 – and they can be found across southern Africa including in Kenya, Namibia, Botswana, and South Africa.

The new form of finance has been described as revolutionary and, if successful, the project will be expanded to protect black rhinos in Kenya as well as lions, tigers, gorillas, and orangutans.

The charity World Wide Fund for Nature said: 'The black rhino is critically endangered, and a lot of work remains to bring the numbers up to even a fraction of what it once was. Wildlife crime continues to plague the species and threaten its recovery.'

The five-year $45million bond will be the world's first wildlife conservation bond. The aim is to increase the rhino population by 4 percent in two reserves in South Africa, the Addo Elephant National Park, and the Great Fish River Nature Reserve, both of which are owned by the state.

Nick de Goede, Addo park manager, said: 'It couldn't have come at a better time, we have to look after the rhino.

The whole idea is to look at the rhino as a pilot and then it can be rolled out for any species.'

The launch comes amid a race to fund worthy projects as investors look to change the world. This month, Chancellor Rishi Sunak said green bonds would be used so investors can buy into projects to accelerate Britain's push to become a net

Attachments

• RI.png
    RI.png
    890.9 KB · Views: 78
Very interesting concept ! Will be interesting to see how things go when its implemented.

Let's hope this works!

I don’t believe anything from a newspaper. Were there really 65,000 Black Rhinos in 1970?

I don’t believe anything from a newspaper. Were there really 65,000 Black Rhinos in 1970?
We're not entirely sure as black rhinos are typically very elusive compared to their larger cousin, the white rhino. Then again, people have been grossly exaggerating the once huge elephant herds that roamed throughout the continent. I think the highest claim I've seen was 10 million, which is literally not possible.

I was there in the late 70s and 80s. It didnt seem like too mamy more than now.
This is true. In fact, there were overall fewer rhinos a century ago. I think with the rhino poaching epidemic in the 2010s, the mainstream media greatly overstated how many rhinos there used to be. Which is understandable, but not honest journalism.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micheal797

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you