Savage 110 info

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Found this at a gun show a few years back for crazy cheap. I shot it and wasn’t real impressed and trigger was horrible. It sat in corner of shop a few years, when I was cleaning found it and decided it needed to stay or go. So I’m not a great smith but thought if I screwed it up I would just destroy it. Played with the trigger a bit and got it to 2.5 pounds. Gave it a good cleaning. Took it out to shoot. Darn thing shoots one hole groups if I do my part. So would like to make it a coyote gun for the truck.

I don’t know anything about Savage rifles I looked for a one piece base so I could put a different scope on and get it back a bit but can’t seem to find one. It is round in the front and flat in the back. Also I see they make a extended mag for the 110. But not sure if it would fit this rifle.

Can anyone give me some info on this rifle. Age, if the mag is the same as newer 110s, if not where to find a extra mag, if there’s a one piece base? Otherwise I’ll try to find a scope with a longer tube. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a rule savages are unattractive visually, but almost all of them shoot exceptionally well and are capable of taking a good bit of abuse…

Great hard use/working man’s rifles IMO…

There are two different types of bases for Savage 110s. Later ones are round receivers and earlier ones are flatter in the rear.
Mine is a round receiver built by ER Shaw into their Mark VII. It puts everything into the same hole. It was built as a 1000 yard silhouette rifle.

There are a few companies out there with decent mounts for the 110. Obviously you know you have a flat back that will need to be known also is it long or short action. I have a couple of Savages they all shoot well.

You’re going to want to contact Savage direct and see when the gun was made. The 110 has been in their line for a while. They can also recommend some base options for it.

Savage has had a couple design changes over the years, and because of this there are a couple different base patterns for the 110.

All Savage rifles use button rifled barrels which are inherently more precise than the hammer forged barrels used by almost every other company. That, and their floating bolt head and barrel nut makes headspacing easy and fast=inexpensive. They all shoot really well. I had a hog hunter back when they made it in a long action. Mine was a .338 win mag with a 20" barrel and it was ugly as could be, but it shot like there was no tomorrow.

Flat back actions can be short, long or intermediate. DNZ mounts are awesome with great customer service and made in North Carolina. As to the magazine, that really depends on the model. Most old flat backs won’t use the same center feed magazines the current production rifles do. If it happens to be a “j series” getting a new magazine will be very difficult.

Found this at a gun show a few years back for crazy cheap. I shot it and wasn’t real impressed and trigger was horrible. It sat in corner of shop a few years, when I was cleaning found it and decided it needed to stay or go. So I’m not a great smith but thought if I screwed it up I would just destroy it. Played with the trigger a bit and got it to 2.5 pounds. Gave it a good cleaning. Took it out to shoot. Darn thing shoots one hole groups if I do my part. So would like to make it a coyote gun for the truck.

I don’t know anything about Savage rifles I looked for a one piece base so I could put a different scope on and get it back a bit but can’t seem to find one. It is round in the front and flat in the back. Also I see they make a extended mag for the 110. But not sure if it would fit this rifle.

Can anyone give me some info on this rifle. Age, if the mag is the same as newer 110s, if not where to find a extra mag, if there’s a one piece base? Otherwise I’ll try to find a scope with a longer tube. Thanks.

Sorry guys, had photos but didn’t take.
IMG_2415.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Flat back actions can be short, long or intermediate. DNZ mounts are awesome with great customer service and made in North Carolina. As to the magazine, that really depends on the model. Most old flat backs won’t use the same center feed magazines the current production rifles do. If it happens to be a “j series” getting a new magazine will be very difficult.

IMG_2414.JPG

@Jamie D Van Roekel
Leupold make a on piece base for the Savage 110s but beware there are 2 types of 110s old and new and the diameters are slightly different.
What caliber is it. There ain't no such thing as an inaccurate Savage.
The mates Stevens 200 aka Savage 223 shoots shoots half inch 5 shot groups all day
Bob

On the long actions (or the old SA cartridge on the LA gun), I do think a 1 piece weaver style multi-slot mount is nessissary as the savage LA is longer than its competitors. I have tried to use a 2 piece extention before and it wasn't even close - one of my rings are mounted in the center of the bolt body! To me, the DNZ style would not work either. But it might for you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelaHo

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob