SAF vs. TTSX

Next porcupine I want to chase down on foot again. Talk about fun!!

I've seen dogs that have done that, it was fun till they got there....

I was told to always run beside and never behind in order to avoid the sudden stops. :E Excited:

Then a rock thrown to the head or a long stick!

Considering the steel in a rifle barrel is somewhat harder than the copper jacket of a bullet I fail to see how running in a barrel using copper will get rid of the problem with only a few rounds. I am of the belief that if a barrel is fouling then it needs lapping. There are 3 ways you can lap a barrel, hand lap, fire lap or credit card lap.:D

The Remington 40 X Bore Cleaner contains a mild abrasive. The result of following the procedure as outlined is similar to what would be achieved by fire lapping the barrel. In my original post on this subject I forgot to mention that after the barrel was cleaned a wet patch i.e. containing the Remington solvent was run through the barrel. The subsequent bullet also wet with solvent was then fired.

I used Barnes TSX in my Ruger#1 chambered for .405 Winchester. I even did a bore snake regimen to reduce the copper fouling. It did help, but even after 10 rounds, the copper had to be scrubbed out. The bore snake method of barrel conditioning is to get a bore snake of relative caliber size and some Turtle Wax chrome polish (must be the chrome polish because of the finer abrasives). Start the boresnake down the bore and squeeze a teaspoon of the chrome polish into the leade with a large syringe and then pull the snake through 10 times. Clean out the action, lead, and bore. Then repeat with the polish and snake approximately 10 times, for a total of 100 pulls with the polish and 10 cleanings. or you could just get a Tubbs' kit and follow the directions. Or you could follow the barrel maker or bullet manufacturer directions on barrel break in. Yes, it makes an accuracy difference!

I really like Swift A-Frame bullets. They are tough and open up fast. You tend to have big holes on the small critters but they do an excellent job of knocking an animal off it's feet.

I'm not sure I want to use the TTSX on small antelopes, I'm afraid of big holes. I might shoot the original Barnes X bullets
The A-Frames were my bullet of choice before the lead ban in California. I was completely satisfied with their performance and the accuracy was pretty good at reasonable distances. At the time, I was very mad that I would have to settle for those stupid copper bullets.

But, after finding out the tricks to get them to shoot good, I fell in love with the Barnes bullets, especially the TTSX and the LRX. I get better performance on game in a lighter softer-recoiling bullet, AND get close to match-grade accuracy. Sure, they do copper foul a little more than conventional bullets, but not enough to have to clean the rifle in the middle of a safari or during deer season. I wouldn't "plink" or "paper punch" at the range all day with the Barnes, but they are about damn near the most perfect hunting bullet I have ever used.

Both are excellent choices. Although, I would give a slight edge to A-Frames

I have a friend that is a Triple Distinguished Shooter. When I asked him about the necessity of breaking in a new barrel his answer was unequivocally yes. Procedure was squeaky clean then fire one round with Remington 40 X Bore Cleaner on the bullet repeat 10 times. Squeaky clean than fire a string of 5 bullets with Remington 40 X Bore Cleaner on them, Squeaky clean then 5 more bullets with Remington 40 X Bore Cleaner on the bullet. A final cleaning and you are done. According to my friend this is how some very prestigious organizations break in their Sniper Rifles. Some of the custom barrels used by competitive shooters are hand lapped at the factory and may not require the break in procedure I outlined above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!