Sable taxidermy ideas

As my dear grandmother would always say, there is is no accounting for taste.

This is a sable chess piece pose. I think it looks contrived, but in the right lighting and location it could be interesting.

I would note that the OP was looking for wall suggestions.

View attachment 563815
I shot an old cull sable in Limpopo. I think about 34 inch. It was cheap and a fun hunt to fill the afternoon time during a night hunt. Had that mounted as a chess piece. It is still in a large crate in Minnesota waiting to be hauled to Texas. So no good pics... But yea wall pedestals, or damn the floor space and do a triple full mount;)

@375 Ruger Fan you just don't het enough chest and shoulder with a standard shoulder mount.

You can make wall pedestals into pedestals also and have the flexibility in the future

1697461813297.png

I like chess piece pedestal mounts. I have seen whitetail deer in this head position while posturing/ fighting . I think sable and zebra in particular would be really nice in this position.
I also like any mount down low in a room . Floor pedestals or wall mounted animals have more visual impact when they are lower on the wall.

I like chess piece pedestal mounts. I have seen whitetail deer in this head position while posturing/ fighting . I think sable and zebra in particular would be really nice in this position.
I also like any mount down low in a room . Floor pedestals or wall mounted animals have more visual impact when they are lower on the wall.
I’ve seen whitetail bucks posturing towards a rival in this pose as well but I poured over hundreds of photos of sable and roan trying to figure out what pose I wanted my roan mounted in and couldn’t find this posture in a live animal, they may be out there but I couldn’t find it. I sent a picture of the pose I decided on and he did the chess piece pose anyway so I made him remount the bull and it looks more natural. I am a stickler for natural poses in my taxidermy, some aren’t they just want a quality mount. I happen to want both.

if you take some creative license and change the posture 90 degrees up.........;)

1697473566882.png

1697473628708.png

I’ve seen whitetail bucks posturing towards a rival in this pose as well but I poured over hundreds of photos of sable and roan trying to figure out what pose I wanted my roan mounted in and couldn’t find this posture in a live animal, they may be out there but I couldn’t find it. I sent a picture of the pose I decided on and he did the chess piece pose anyway so I made him remount the bull and it looks more natural. I am a stickler for natural poses in my taxidermy, some aren’t they just want a quality mount. I happen to want both.

With a quality mount I am sure you be thrilled! Please post pic of what pose you decided on!

1697473755333.png

1697473828153.png

1697473982346.png

1697474073288.png

Last edited:
I LOVE this one so much, it might be my next bronze sculpting project :love:

1697474159533.png

The 42" sable that @Just Gina took in the wilds of Tanzania was looking back over his shoulder as Gina made a perfect shot to his last left rib placing the bullet in the front of his rright shoulder as he was quartering away.

Yesterday on the way to town we pulled over to take pictures of our neighbors big sable bull and he was posing in all manners of positions. That was in Texas so maybe they pose differently in Canada but rest assured it is not a North America thing;)
My Sable was 42 and A HALF, thank you! :)
Here is the sable @ActionBob is talking about at our neighbors.

IMG_9572.jpeg
IMG_9573.jpeg
IMG_9574.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fighting pose on a shoulder mount would be really cool to have. I saw a gemsbok charging shoulder mount one time and been wanting one like that since.

I just finished these fighting gemsbok bronzes

FullSizeRender.jpeg

That’s a beautiful piece! If I had plenty of money and space I would go shoot 2 bull gemsbok and have them mounted just like that.!

Just do it- it's only money :love:

This pic was my inspiration

1697555062589.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne847393

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.