SAA firearms fees are in full force - $65 to leave Africa

Parting comment...Put another way, there are several bridges spanning rivers that take you from beautiful, natural, gun and hunter-friendly States to others that more closely resemble the armpits of the Earth in nearly every manner. The toll bridges collect fees in one direction-only. Oneday I asked the tolltaker why the fees are only collected on the one side....and he responded "Because you have to pay for the privilege of escaping this Godforsaken place of pollution, crime and taxes!" I gladly hand 'em ~$500 annually for the privilege of returning home from business (cleaning up those armpits)-to go hunting in clean, safe and affordable places. Those two dreaded things we have to deal with in life: Death and Taxes. And, before I do, I'll gladly pay mine for the privilege of hunting abroad...Reading safari books and viewing DVDs for 5 years (in lieu of cable TV bills) will buy you an entire safari. Priorities. Something you'll never hear: "Why did you cancel your African Safari?" "Because the bastards wanted an extra $65 each way!" Remember that O.R. Tambo Airport is just the beginning for many, many safaris (some involving 3-5 flights and other vehicle border crossings-ALL with additional fees.) And, magically, it winds up costing an extra 1-3% of the safari. Well worth the expense!

*Get a Dakota takedown rifle in your two fav, similarly cased calibers (i.e. .416 Taylor and 6.5-300 Wby or 375 & 300 HH) and never pay an oversized baggage fee (much more $ than the rifle fees). Then, lease it to the rest of us when not on safari.

I flew last time with a SAA police officer in the row with me. He explained at least some of the reasoning behind rules like that. Only licensed people are allowed to handle guns in most Africa countries. Which means that a baggage handler is not allowed to touch your gun case. Which means in most cases, the airlines hire a off-duty police officer to work the gun cases on flights. Which means an extra charge. (not nearly enough to charge every gun owner $65, but if only one person on the plane has a gun, they still need to have someone there to handle your gun.) Stupid rules to someone from America, but at least understandable. It still feels like death by a thousand pricks.

Sooo, SAPS makes up airport security: SAPS is responsible for securing weapons to and from airplane to SAPS office arriving destination airport to hunter: SAPS is responsible, to ensure your weapons is not stolen by airport employees: SAPS is the government domestic police/security.

Just Calling It I See It!:
It Is What It Is...Its Africa!
Africaan Governments (WITH EXCEPTIONS) No Logic...No Common Sense!!!. No Plans!!!. for the future, just react...not pro act.!!!

Ok, SAA is government owned airline. SAPS government police/security.
Why does SAA have to pay for SAPS to do what they are already being paid to do?

I can understand other airlines charging and being charged by/ for international security.

In short it's flat out extortion, call it what it is and accept it. If you want to take your own firearm(s) on safari, be ready to pay the bribes....$65.00 +.

Simple: what use to be randomly R20-R40 bribes for addition insurance that your weapon(s) arrived with you, is now a set $65.00USD bribe that every hunter bringing in weapon(s) must pay.

I look at it as: the $65.00 to $390.00+ USD I was going to spend elsewhere to help the economy is now going to pay (bribes).

If you dont want to pay bribes, rent a firearm from your PH/outfitter.

Simple: what use to be randomly R20-R40 bribes for addition insurance that your weapon(s) arrived with you, is now a set $65.00USD bribe that every hunter bringing in weapon(s) must pay.

I look at it as: the $65.00 to $390.00+ USD I was going to spend elsewhere to help the economy is now going to pay (bribes).

If you dont want to pay bribes, rent a firearm from your PH/outfitter.

Actually, the "tip" to make sure weapons arrive with you is on top of the $65 weapons fee.

Renting a firearm is much more expensive than the various sundry expenses as well. I have seen rental fees of $20/day (very reasonable) to $200/day (robbery) and everything in between from outfitters.

A DG safari including taxidermy and all of the other expenses is going to run $50K+. So, crying about a nominal fee that is < 0.13% of the total cost is like going to a 3 Michelin star restaurant and then complaining that you are charged $25 for martini.

Actually, the "tip" to make sure weapons arrive with you is on top of the $65 weapons fee.

Renting a firearm is much more expensive than the various sundry expenses as well. I have seen rental fees of $20/day (very reasonable) to $200/day (robbery) and everything in between from outfitters.

A DG safari including taxidermy and all of the other expenses is going to run $50K+. So, crying about a nominal fee that is < 0.13% of the total cost is like going to a 3 Michelin star restaurant and then complaining that you are charged $25 for martini.

I'm lucky I guess or have a very good relationship with my PH's, as I have only been asked for a $25.00USD rental fee/ day, if I fired their rifle and for the cost of a new box or 2 depending on the number of cartridges I used. Definitely at $200.00USD per day gun rental fee, first I would choose another outfitter, secondly I would bring my own firearm (s) and ammunition.

Seriously, a $25.00 martini at a 3 star, common that is more like a 5 star price. That martini had better come in a very big martini glass, and be the very best "top shelf", gin (or vodka, if you prefer). Shahened not stirred.

Seriously, a $25.00 martini at a 3 star, common that is more like a 5 star price. That martini had better come in a very big martini glass, and be the very best "top shelf", gin (or vodka, if you prefer). Shahened not stirred.

Ahem, the maximum number of stars a Michelin star restaurant gets is 3, since 1931. ;)

$65?? In June 2019 SAA charged me $50 each way. So is the 30% mark-up part of their policy to charge fees increasing by an annual increment of 30%?

Last edited:
It’s a Rort. I hired a rifle for a good rate.
I think extra fees all add up. For someone on a budget it makes a dent in it. I’m not complaining but my income is just above average and I have some travel expenses working remote.
My management hunt and airfares were say $5000 US$ I took my wife on top and added an extra day out at Pumba game reserve. I paid customary tips and budgeted for that thanks to this site.
What I found though was that using my credit card overseas would incur exchange rates fees. I copped an exchange rate fee at the airport getting some cash to have on hand. It cost me money to load a prepaid card in US $ at my bank, I later found I could have loaded Aussie dollars and exchanged myself online, $50 wasted as the staff didn’t point it out and maybe didn’t realise, I canned that card as I could not do Rand. My trip quoted in US was settled in Rand via EFT on departure some other fees that I did not anticipate, small fees but all added up and some avoidable. What was avoidable becomes unnecessary waste. I can’t afford waste I’m guessing about 1% of my total budget was avoidable. Not a big amount but i saw no gain from it. I will pay the fees and charges but I think is Country that seems to have corruption at various levels.
As far as baggage handlers being licensed does it matter? I did not show my shooters licence and the outfitter only knew me via email.
Carry US $ cash and you might just save a few $ in fees

All I can say is a lot of you blokes that think these fees are not much must make money to burn. I'll send you my bank account details and you can EFT the 65USD each way to me. That 65usd =97AUD. If you all do this I will be able to afford another safari. Still think 65USD one way is not something to be concerned about, it all adds up.

Just to let you know I have a tight budget, I can't afford to bring home trophy's so I go for cull animals and photos. What this USD65 means to me is my tips are smaller.

Guess if we want to hunt africa were just going to have to suck it up. I’ve got one maybe two more safaris budgeted at this point in my life. I’ll pay ,I won’t like it.

Actually my primary excuse for not taking two rifles this year is just having to lug them as well as having to check baggage and carry-ons. Without rifles, we can do with only carry-on bags since we will have no ammo.
I’ll pay the PH rifle rental just so the two of us have much less to haul around since we will have to overnight in Joberg.
Money wise it may actually cost more, but logistically and physically it will cost me vastly less.
Just my thoughts.

Hmmm. This could get complicated. Do I take my own gun(s) and ammo and pay or do I rent and pay? Seems they got us by the short hairs any way you look at it. A few bucks US doesn't sound like much to us but when you figure the exchange rate at about 12 to 1 the Africans are making out OK for doing virtually nothing. SAA is govt owned, SAPS is govt getting paid by the govt. That is a real two fisted swindle. But this is Africa where corruption rules.

The cost of doing business, pay it and go enjoy your hunt.

I’d rather pay and take my own guns. It’s part of the fun of getting ready for safari.

Me, too. I have my stocks cut to 12 3/4"( I have short arms). I want to hunt with a rifle that fits and I'm familiar with especially for dg. That is worth the small fee.

I will pay to take my own guns if I have too. Since Delta does not charge I am flying them for my third trip. Also I have no internal flights in South Africa. Pick up and drop off at OR Tambo by Ph. Only time I have had to pay is was over 2 checked bag limit. Took bow and rifles last trip.

Hmmm...a Blaser R8 is sounding better. Compact case. Multiple barrels. If I sold enough guns, I could probably afford one. Hmmm...

Ahem, the maximum number of stars a Michelin star restaurant gets is 3, since 1931. ;)

Primarily, I was referring to, at $200.00 per day rental fee for a firearm and an additional fee for ammunition used is IMO is beyond acceptable and I would consider finding an outfitter not out to gouge his clients.

IMO: $25.00 for a 4 ounce martini is just as bad a gouge. Find a better bar that doesn't gouge their patrons. 2 martinis at that rate a person could by a 1/5 of gin or vodka, a 1/5 of vermouth, a jar of olives and drink all night.

IMO: $25.00 for a 4 ounce martini is just as bad a gouge. Find a better bar that doesn't gouge their patrons. 2 martinis at that rate a person could by a 1/5 of gin or vodka, a 1/5 of vermouth, a jar of olives and drink all night.

When dinner is $650 per person before drinks, tip or tax at the restaurant, $25 for a drink is not that significant. Hence my point in comparing a $65 firearms fee to the overall cost of the Safari.

I guess then you'd say one can shoot rabbits in one's backyard and save the cost of the Safari. ;)

Experiences would differ though.

The point isn't the price everyone, its the surprise cash-only exit tax. That's the problem. It reminds me of the line in Cuba at Jose Marti airport full of foreigners that didn't realize there was an exit tax in cash only and everyone is now begging for a few US dollars to leave the country.

Bottom line: Don't leave Africa cashless because your credit cards aren't going to save you with the surprise surcharges returning home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rkcipl

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.